• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas 2017 budget

I am not a parent, but I know what my parents spend on us. I am the middle of three (33, 24 and 21). My parents typically spend about $200 on each my younger brother and I and they have spent this amount for as long as I can remember. Now that my older brother has a daughter (the only grandchild so far), my older brother and his wife get a small gift, typically a gift card, and my parents will spend about $200 on my niece as well.

I don't spend anything...Santa makes all the toys... :rolleyes1 :teeth:

OK, OK... I don't really know for sure, but it's probably in the range others mentioned. Kids are now 13, 10, 10. Before our twins were born, and even when they were babies, toys for kids under 5 are pretty cheap. So that money would buy a TON of stuff. I remember years where the tree was literally packed to the limit with gifts everywhere, it was crazy. One year, DS13 (who was 3 or 4 at the time) didn't even open them all on Xmas Day because there were just too many. Now, they get a few presents, because they're much more expensive...and then some small stocking stuffers.

DD10 still believes (though I think deep down she questions it)...she has an Elf on the Shelf and an Elf pet. We're going to have to tell her soon.

This. Well except Santa brings ONE gift. The rest is from us.

We spend $250-$350 on each kid - two of them. But as they get older and want more electronics much less under the tree. One video game can be $60-$70

We spend about $500 on each child, but we normally do a few larger gifts rather than lots of smaller ones. Last year my DS 12 got an older model iphone and a VR headset as his two gifts, for example.

This year might be a bit different, though - our 16 year old lab passed away about 6 months ago, and we are finally thinking about getting another dog. If I find the right dog at the right time, then a dog may be one of their main gifts. :) We always rescue our dogs from the pound or SPCA so that's not a huge expense, but the expenses that come along with it (collar, bed, toys, etc.) can be!

Probably around 200 per child. They get ski passes which they know take down the number of gifts on Christmas.

Last year the Santa gift was an XBox. They have not asked for any big ticket items this year, so I think he may bring a large popcorn machine and cart for family movie nights.

Our girls are 3 & 1 which keeps the cost down a lot. I shop a pop-up consignment sale in the fall for everything that they get from Santa and us. I volunteer so that I can shop early for the best deals. I spent $55 on our 3-year-old, but what I bought adds up to about $375 retail. I spent $28 on our youngest which represents about $130 retail. WIth 2 girls close in age, there just isn't much for her age that we don't already have in some way, shape, or form. They are getting a soccer goal ($15 consignment) as a shared gift.

I know it will change as they get older and there will be less I can get consignment, but I'm taking advantage while I can.

I have four grown children, three are married and six grandchildren. My breakdown:
7 adults@ $140 per person = 980
6 children @ $100 per person = 600
1 sibling for gift exchange (there are six of us) = 60
1 80 year old mother @ $100 to $200 (depending on what us siblings decide to get) max = 200
Homemade gifts for other sibs and their families = 75 (homemade jams, spice mixes in mason jars, candles or keepsakes

Total: $1,990 so...roughly $2000 for everyone. That is my budget.

Hubby and I don't buy each other gifts. Somewhere in late fall, we buy something we need...plunk a bow on it...take a photo and call it our gift to each other. Think...snow blower, gas grill, television etc.

Our girls are 3 & 1 which keeps the cost down a lot. I shop a pop-up consignment sale in the fall for everything that they get from Santa and us. I volunteer so that I can shop early for the best deals. I spent $55 on our 3-year-old, but what I bought adds up to about $375 retail. I spent $28 on our youngest which represents about $130 retail. WIth 2 girls close in age, there just isn't much for her age that we don't already have in some way, shape, or form. They are getting a soccer goal ($15 consignment) as a shared gift.

I know it will change as they get older and there will be less I can get consignment, but I'm taking advantage while I can.
You are so smart to do this!! When my DD was small, I used to volunteer at the schools book fairs every chance I got. They let each volunteer pick out a book for free. I used to save them for Christmas presents since she loved books!! Christmas CAN be done without going broke!!

Something we used to do for our niece and nephew when they were small that was in our very tight budget and they LOVED..... they asked for it on their wish list the next year.

We bought a set of water color paints with a 40% off coupon at michaels.( the dollar store prob has them. It we didn't have a dollar store then) we also got some crayons on sale right after school started. We went to the local newspaper office and asked to buy an " end roll" of newsprint that cost $2. The end roll was enough to keep them in art paper for a year. They could unroll it across the kitchen floor-- make posters, lay on it, draw around each other, etc. They rolled it out on the kitchen table and decorated a " tablecloth" etc.

The whole present cost less than $5 and it was a huge hit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter