Choosing room on the Fantasy

jldcherry

Mouseketeer
We have an inside midship room 9547 booked on the Fantasy. For people who experience motion sickness, if we switched to verandah room 7552 on deck 7 that is technically forward (but is the very closest to midship you can get) will we feel a huge difference in motion? We've never sailed the Carribean, so not sure how we'll feel. Also the verandah room is pretty close to the forward elevators, how disturbing would that be?

Midship is always best. Either one might work. Elevators aren’t really a problem for noise. I like it because of convenience.

I was surprised how little I noticed ship motion on our Western Carribean cruise on the Fantasy in Oct. I even took off my sea bands I usually wear for the later few days of the cruise. Maybe we just lucked out on the seas being calm but I do think the Fantasy is more stable than the Magic/Wonder. Our Fantasy cabin was deck 8 midship verandah right by the elevator and we loved the location. I’ve never had issues being near an elevator, think we’ve been pretty close every time. I suspect you’ll be fine either way.

Our first cruise was on the Fantasy, deck 9 starboard side. If we had been any more forward we would have been in the crew area! We had zero problems with motion sickness, though we did take Bonine every morning. Either way, none of us noticed any serious motion.

The only cabin I felt ill in was an inside. It wasn't ours, it was a friends, and just being there for 20 minutes made me want to hurl. I know a lot of people like these cabins but if you get sea sick/motion sick at all you may want to move.
JMO. While they don't work for me, they may work for you, but do some research.

We have an inside midship room 9547 booked on the Fantasy. For people who experience motion sickness, if we switched to verandah room 7552 on deck 7 that is technically forward (but is the very closest to midship you can get) will we feel a huge difference in motion? We've never sailed the Carribean, so not sure how we'll feel. Also the verandah room is pretty close to the forward elevators, how disturbing would that be?

I personally think the difference is negligible. On our first cruise, we paid extra to be mid-ship after reading it was best, but we got extremely sea sick the first night anyway. It was so bad that we sat in our room talking about whether we could fly home at the next port. But we took some Bonine and were great within an hour or two, and didn't even need Bonine after the second day.

Since then, we have sailed deck 7 on the Fantasy, same side as 7552, but even more forward (just past the forward elevator banks), but didn't notice a difference at all. In fact, we were less sick on the cruise (but knew to take Bonine the first night). We have also sailed fairly aft on the Magic and it felt fine, but that was in the Med where there isn't much motion. I think sea conditions play a much bigger role than room location, unless maybe you get extremely aft or forward.

The forward elevators on the Fantasy never seemed very loud to us, and we were only a few doors down. The one exception was the last night of the cruise, when it seemed like there was a lot of pent up energy and parents had given up on watching their kids, who turned the stairs into a playground. But even then, I don't remember hearing it in the room. I think kids running in the halls, or inconsiderate neighbors, tend to generate more noise than stair areas most of the time.

One other thing to keep in mind is that having a verandah can help with seasickness, as you are able to get fresh air and also be able to see the horizon which can help. (Yes, if you're in an inside stateroom you can go up to a deck, but if you're feeling crummy having the verandah right there takes less effort).

We sailed in September right after Fiona went through, so the first night was rough (even the cast members were commenting on it). My mom couldn't stay at dinner so she went back to the room. Being able to lay on the bed but still look out the window to see the horizon helped her a lot.

One other thing to keep in mind is that having a verandah can help with seasickness, as you are able to get fresh air and also be able to see the horizon which can help. (Yes, if you're in an inside stateroom you can go up to a deck, but if you're feeling crummy having the verandah right there takes less effort).

We sailed in September right after Fiona went through, so the first night was rough (even the cast members were commenting on it). My mom couldn't stay at dinner so she went back to the room. Being able to lay on the bed but still look out the window to see the horizon helped her a lot.
I totally agree with this. If you are at risk of throwing up from motion sickness you don’t really want to be on the public decks to get the benefit of a cool breeze and seeing the horizon (both of which really help)—you want to be sitting on your verandah a short dash from your bathroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter