Choose resort based on transportation??

That's the answer. Plus it will allow one adult to go back with any of the kids and allow the others to stay (Epcot or MK) if so desired and relatively easily hook back up after a rest for some at the Poly.

That is exactly the reason we stayed at Poly when our children were younger. We were able to keep the children as well as ourselves alot less cranky. My husband would stay at MK a bit longer with our older child and I would return to the Poly with our youngest. Most of our time was spent at the MK. With that said - back then the Poly was alot less expensive and there was not as many resort or parks to choose from. The Poly has gotten too costly which is the reason we have not stayed there since the dark ages

For our kids' 1st trip in Nov, we are still stumped on lodging. We've been leaning toward Poly due to convenience of monorail and boat transportation. With 3 young kids (DD7, DS3, D?4mos), we'll be heading back for midday breaks, and we're not wanting to tackle the buses just yet. But...then I checked out AKL and a few others and I'm back to stuck. We could get a savannah view (which looks AMAZING) for cheaper than Poly, but then we're stuck with bus service when we head to MK (HS and Epcot may or may not make it on our agenda this trip) and might make our midday breaks too much of a hassle.

I'm really torn between the convenience of Poly (among other wonderful aspects of staying there) vs the cost savings of AKL and experience of the savannah right out our window. How's the AKL bus - does it share with other resorts? Is it annoying?? (I've done offsite shuttles to/from WDW, and those buses were a PITA. I'm not wanting to re-create that experience, especially with little ones.)

Then again, I find myself going back to wondering if a family suite at AoA would be best so that we can have a separate bedroom and a night-waking baby doesn't disturb the other two kids... But those buses sound like a crowded, noisy mess. Plus, we'd really like a peaceful retreat at the end of the day, and AoA doesn't sound like it fits that bill.

Yikes!! Help!! What do you suggest?

I like the buses better than the monorail. We stay at value resorts. At peak times it does get a little crowded on the busses. And we've done our share of standing in the aisle. But I've done the same on the monorail when we've used it. And you can always wait a few minutes at the front of the line for the next bus if it's too crowded.

Disney busses are nothing like any other hotel shuttle bus I've ever ridden. They're much better.

Another option to consider is renting points to get a 1 bedroom at Bay lake tower. The 1 bedroom will give you the separate area to put the baby in and you cannot beat Bay Lake Tower for MK convenience. It is a 5 minute walk and with a stroller, not having to worry about ferries or monorails is wonderful IMHO.

I don't know anything at all about renting points... Looks like I've got more research to do!!

samacita said:
I don't know anything at all about renting points... Looks like I've got more research to do!!

Best bet on point rental, is looking at Daves Point Rental site.... Easy calculator and everything at 13.00 a point and all or any problems go thru him...

Never have bend convinced on private people renting points...... Check it out!

We have stayed at all the monorail resorts and the Poly was our least favorite of the three. I think the PP idea of renting points for a 1bdrm is a great idea. Or renting points and staying in a 1 bdrm at Wilderness Lodge is also an option. The plus to a 1 bedroom is the kitchen. You can have groceries delivered (think breakfast, snacks, diapers, etc) and save some money (and I always knew my kids were starting off the day with something relatively healthy to eat). Also, the joy of having a washer and dryer in your unit with little kids is not to be overlooked. When my kids were little, I would throw stuff in the wash when we came back for our mid-day naps and then again at night before we went to sleep. Two major plusses: you can pack less and you don't go home with heaps of dirty clothes. pixiedust:

I have never understood people who say that with little kids you will spend the majority of your time at the MK. We never found that to be the case. I think by skipping or limiting time at the other parks you are missing some really great things for the little ones in general (Turtle Talk with Crush, Playhouse Disney, Little Mermaid, Star Wars Jedi Academy, Figment, etc.). And your 7 year old would definitely be missing out. Our kids have never said that MK was the their favorite park at any age that we have taken them there. They liked all the parks and would have been really upset if we had skipped some. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much there is to do with young ones at each of the parks.

I would also encourage you, if you don't plan on skipping Epcot and DHS, to look into the BC or the BW. You can stay in regular rooms or rent points to stay in the villas. You have a 5 minute walk into Epcot and you can walk or take a boat to DHS. We never had a problem with the busses at either resort and we have stayed at peak times. We also liked walking through Epcot and taking the monorail over to MK (must have a park hopper to be able to do this.)

As far as busses were concerned, we looked it as a built in break for the little ones (and us) where we could stop and "smell the roses" so to speak. It gave us time to chat about what we had already done, what was everyone's favorite thing so far, search out the amazing details that Disney puts everywhere, etc. We are a pretty laid back family and aren't bothered by waiting 10 or 15 minutes for a bus. There is always something to look at. As a matter of fact, my kids considered all forms of Disney transportation to be rides in and of themselves. They would get soooooo excited to ride the Mickey busses!!!!:rotfl2: Only you will be able to judge your touring style and the personalities of your family and what will work for you. No matter what you pick, you will have a great time and the resort will be beautiful and fun.

Good luck with your decision!!

P.S: We have used Dave's point rental web site before and we wouldn't hesitate to do so again!!!!

For us a vacation is a time to relax and have fun, so convienence is important. The monorail resorts are great locations when you plan on spending a lot of time at the MK and take midday breaks back at the resort. Most people have their favorites for a range of reasons which normally includes transportation options. We include time too, since Disney World is big. When the kids were young the ease to move a stroller around was important too...it is a vacation and the monorail resorts make it easy for everyone in the family.

PR you have the water launch, ferry and monorail as options to get back to the report. CR you have the monorail and walkway. GF is also the first stop back from MK in the GF/PR/MK loop. CR and PR and the easiest to get back to after special events or park closing. GF and WL are a little slower. Longest time it took us to get back to was to the WL at the end of a MVMCP.

Curtains shut out all the day light if naps are planned midday at any of the deluxe resorts. Pool breaks are great too. We stayed club too, so it was great to stop in at the club throughout the day with our kids. As other have pointed out one can stay at the resort while the other goes out of their own to shop, get some food, get some items at the club loung to bring back to the room, ride or watch a parade or just take some photos. Very easy to do if staying at the Monorail resort or in the Epcot Boardwalk area. We have also stayed at the AKL club level with the savannah view and while it was nice it we found ourselves expressing a desire to return to other deluxes before a future stay at AKL or WL.

We just returned from our first stay at the Poly. Our kids are 8, 6 & 4. We do find ourselves spending a lot of time at MK and the convenience of the monorail can't be beat, unless you are traveling at park opening or closing, and then it can be just as bad as any other form of transport. We prefer CR since we can walk to MK, but the proximity to get the monorail to EC from the Poly is another advantage there.

That being said, I think AKL is my favorite of all the hotels. It is worth staying here for the hotel alone. It would be inconvenient for breaks, especially if you are going back to MK. It is about 15 or so minutes from the park, plus any bus wait, so you could have a good chunk of time spent traveling. We did take breaks, but ha park hoppers and would head to a different park.

Both are beautiful hotels and have great pools and activities right at the resort for the kids. Don't fret too much. I think you will enjoy either choice!

We have 3 kids (9, 4, and 2) and have brought our double stroller with us the last few times, and because of that we absolutely choose our hotel based on transportation! We love staying at the Poly for the simple fact that after a night at MK or Epcot (where we spend most of our time) we don't have to fold up the stroller to get on the bus - not an easy feat carrying the stroller, all our gear & purchases, 2 sleeping kids, and one sleepy 9 year old. Rolling the stroller right onto the monorail and into your hotel room is such a treat!

Our most recent trip we stayed at the YC, which we loved also. We walked to Epcot and HS (with the stroller), and would walk through Epcot to hop on the monorail to MK. The only time we rode the bus was once to AK.

With 3 little ones, my vote goes to Poly or YC!

Even if the monorail isn't working, the Poly is a short boat ride to MK. Your kids may LOVE the ferrys (mine do)!
And the ferry back to Poly from MK is almost always faster than the monorail!::yes::

Even if the monorail is working, the Poly is a short boat ride to MK

The Poly really does have the easiest and most convenient options for transportation - especially to the MK and for those who needs rest/naps, convenience is huge.

If the resort monorail is broken you can walk to the TTC to get an express monorail or a ferry to the MK. Same idea to get to Epcot. There is also a boat that goes directly from Poly to the MK. Lots of options = convenience. For their first trip and since they are young, I would go Poly.

Megsie1000 said:
The Poly really does have the easiest and most convenient options for transportation - especially to the MK and for those who needs rest/naps, convenience is huge.

If the resort monorail is broken you can walk to the TTC to get an express monorail or a ferry to the MK. Same idea to get to Epcot. There is also a boat that goes directly from Poly to the MK. Lots of options = convenience. For their first trip and since they are young, I would go Poly.

Yeah, the Poly and sister monorail resorts are close and convenient but that comes at a high room rate... No way I'm paying 500+ a night , even with discount it's ridiculous when the WL is in the area, boat to the MK and FW and cheaper by a long shot!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter