China Trip report - Adults only May 2018

I like the ones that are a face! :D

Oh boy! I’m glad I didn’t get a face one! The covers come out looking like they’ve been abused after a flight. My face already looks like it’s been through the wringer! :rotfl:

I like the ones that are a face! :D

:eek: Well, it definitely would make it easier to identify it as your suitcase!

Oh boy! I’m glad I didn’t get a face one! The covers come out looking like they’ve been abused after a flight. My face already looks like it’s been through the wringer! :rotfl:
:scared1::scared1::scared1: Yikes! Too close to reality!

Sayhello

I loved the idea of luggage covers that I went ahead and ordered some last night! We also just got our brand new Victorinox suitcases to replace our old set with broken locks that we'll be using on our ABD China Adult only trip in September. Now I need to stop procrastinating and get the Visa application done. Thanks for the idea!

i-3QMLs34.jpg

I loved the idea of luggage covers that I went ahead and ordered some last night! We also just got our brand new Victorinox suitcases to replace our old set with broken locks that we'll be using on our ABD China Adult only trip in September. Now I need to stop procrastinating and get the Visa application done. Thanks for the idea!
Seriously don't put the Visa application off! I know multiple people that have had issues and multiple re-submissions, and one friend barely got her Visa in time for the trip (and it was questionable if she was going to get it at all!) You never know with the Chinese government, so I suggest getting the Visa done as soon as you possibly can!!

Sayhello

Seriously don't put the Visa application off! I know multiple people that have had issues and multiple re-submissions, and one friend barely got her Visa in time for the trip (and it was questionable if she was going to get it at all!) You never know with the Chinese government, so I suggest getting the Visa done as soon as you possibly can!!

Sayhello

Thats a good point actually... we are 150-something days away and I've been wondering if I should get going on it even though we have a long time to go. May as well before something changes!!

I'm also appreciative for all the chatter on flight delays and such... we have gotten it pared down to where we will only have two flights to contend with (one from Hong Kong so I am guessing there SHOULD be some English announcements or at least it will be easier to get info) and it will be best if I am braced for trouble and just consider myself lucky if there are no snags!

we are 150-something days away and I've been wondering if I should get going on it even though we have a long time to go. May as well before something changes!!

You also have to make sure you don't apply too early, because if you end up with the most restricted visa (and this is _completely_ at the whim of the Chinese consulate), it may expire before you even leave for your trip! Some of the visas are only good for 90 days from when they are issued. From the Chinese Embassy's webpage ...

"How long does it to process my application? What is the right time to submit my visa application?

Normally it takes 4 business days to process a visa application although some applications require longer processing time. You will be notified of the estimated collection date either on your pick-up slip or by phone later. You are advised to submit your visa application about one month before your planned travel date in China."

If you are going to go through a visa service, give them a call to find out when they say you should apply. Keep in mind that if you cut it too close, they will charge you more too. ABD recommends CIBT and if you call CIBT, there is a discount, if you give them the account code for ABD, which can be found in the "Preparing for Trip" email that ABD will send to you.

We ended up with multiple entry visas, valid for 10 years, which I believe, is the longest tourist visa that they will issue. I'm not sure we'll go back, but since the cost is the same for 90 days or 10 years, I'm not going to worry about it. LOL

If you have any questions about getting the visa, feel free to ask, as we've recently gone through the process. :)

You also have to make sure you don't apply too early, because if you end up with the most restricted visa (and this is _completely_ at the whim of the Chinese consulate), it may expire before you even leave for your trip! Some of the visas are only good for 90 days from when they are issued. From the Chinese Embassy's webpage ...

Good advice - we're also applying for a 10 year visa, so we can apply as far out as 180 days. We have to use a service as we do not have a consulate anywhere near us, and they have us mark which we prefer.

Good advice - we're also applying for a 10 year visa, so we can apply as far out as 180 days. We have to use a service as we do not have a consulate anywhere near us, and they have us mark which we prefer.
I think it was 3 months out to start the Visa application process. I have it written down somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Sayhello

I think it was 3 months out to start the Visa application process. I have it written down somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Yes, 3 months out is the soonest you want to start the process, because any further out than that, you risk the visa expiring before you can use it. You can apply for whatever type or length of visa that you want to, but what you are given is completely at the whim of the Chinese consulate. The multiple entry 10 year visa doesn't even appear on the visa application. If you'd prefer that option, you have to write it in under "other". It can be a frustrating process, for sure!

Sayhello

Yes, 3 months out is the soonest you want to start the process, because any further out than that, you risk the visa expiring before you can use it. You can apply for whatever type or length of visa that you want to, but what you are given is completely at the whim of the Chinese consulate. The multiple entry 10 year visa doesn't even appear on the visa application. If you'd prefer that option, you have to write it in under "other". It can be a frustrating process, for sure!

Sorry to be a bother, but hearing you both say this is really confusing. I heard that ABD recommends using CIBT and on their website it says:

"The Consulate of China in San Francisco will only process visas for departures within 90 days (for single-entry visas) and 180 days (for double-entry visas, if applicable for your nationality) of the departure date listed on the application. Applications with departure dates greater than 90 and 180 days will be rejected." (https://cibtvisas.com/requirements)

I chose US & Oregon as my options, so it should be that the double-entry would be applicable for us. This makes it seem like there IS a difference, and if I am asking for the multi-entry visa that I can do so now? If it is up to the whim of the consulate that it seems very disingenuous for a company ABD recommends to not point out that danger!

Sorry to be a bother, but hearing you both say this is really confusing. I heard that ABD recommends using CIBT and on their website it says:

"The Consulate of China in San Francisco will only process visas for departures within 90 days (for single-entry visas) and 180 days (for double-entry visas, if applicable for your nationality) of the departure date listed on the application. Applications with departure dates greater than 90 and 180 days will be rejected." (https://cibtvisas.com/requirements)

I chose US & Oregon as my options, so it should be that the double-entry would be applicable for us. This makes it seem like there IS a difference, and if I am asking for the multi-entry visa that I can do so now? If it is up to the whim of the consulate that it seems very disingenuous for a company ABD recommends to not point out that danger!

It's because a single entry visa is valid for 3 months and a double entry visa is valid for 6 months. The double entry visas are issued with the expectation that your second entry to China will be in 6 months or less. A multiple entry visa is yet another category. But again, just because you apply for a double or multiple entry visa, doesn't mean that it will be granted.

From the embassy website,
"Why I was granted a different type of visa with what I applied for?
The consular officers will determine whether or not to grant a visa and its category, validity and permitted duration of stay. The decision is final unless there is an technical error on the visa."

I read of a family that applied for visas because the dad was going to work for a period of time. While most of the family was issued a visa for the same length of time, one of the children was issued a visa for a shorter length of time, meaning that they were going to have to reapply for the child's visa earlier than the rest of the family would. No reasons given, it's just what it was.

One thing to be aware of, with China specifically, is things are constantly changing. Policies and procedures seem to change from day to day. Heck, even the different Chinese consulates, inside the US, have different rules about what type of info they require, to process visas. Houston had additional hoops for us to jump through that the other consulates don't require. :confused3

I only needed a single entry Visa. Since the trip starts in Hong Kong, I then went to Beijing, where the entry occurred, then left China from Shanghai at the end of the trip. Single entry. They ended up giving me a 10-year Visa. My understanding is, the multiple entry is good for multiple entries in one trip. Not another China trip in 5 years, say.

And I did use CIBT. They were EXTREMELY helpful, and had a Visa packet customized specifically for ABD. They would not give me the packet until 90 days prior to the trip.

Sayhello

My understanding is, the multiple entry is good for multiple entries in one trip. Not another China trip in 5 years, say.
Actually it is good for multiple trips. If you do business in China, you would try to get a multi entry visa good for many trips, not a single entry visa every time you needed to visit, which might be multiple times in one year.

I only needed a single entry Visa. Since the trip starts in Hong Kong, I then went to Beijing, where the entry occurred, then left China from Shanghai at the end of the trip. Single entry. They ended up giving me a 10-year Visa. My understanding is, the multiple entry is good for multiple entries in one trip. Not another China trip in 5 years, say.

If they issued a multiple entry visa, valid for 10 years, you can enter several times over the entire ten year period.

From their website:

"Entries" refers to the number of times you are permitted to enter China. It can be single-entry, double-entry, or multiple-entry and good through the validity of your visa.

Validity ("Enter Before") of a visa begins from the date of issue and good through 24h00 Beijing Time of the "Enter Before" date unless the number of entries is used up or the visa is revoked by the Chinese government.

So, good news, you can go again!! :)

Great report, I’m reading up to prep for the one for Japan next year. :earsboy: I appreciate seeing your positive comments about Singapore Airlines as that is one I am considering for our flights to Japan. Also happy to read that your health scare turned out OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter