• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Children under 5 Covid vaccination

Thanks for the update. This is incredibly frustrating. It will be interesting to hear the responses from people who actually go through this during submission and try to fight it there. (There was a response somewhere in this thread that someone finally got Safe Passage to approve based on a bunch of documentation and clinical trial information.)

Are you already in the 15-day submission window or are you asking in advance of that?

Hoping that the answer changes before you (or any of us) sail.

Also, as an aside, we are doing to the fall Transatlantic sailing, so if anyone has updates on what Prenetics is doing on under 5 vaccination, that would be interesting to hear. (In theory, they should be the same. But then again, in theory, they should be honoring the vaccination status of under 5 yr olds so I'm not assuming anything at this point.)
Our window opened today, and we submitted the 4-year-old's vaccination card, but of course that's still pending approval. I could see that in the Embarkation Screening section it already said "Testing at Port" which is why I went ahead and contacted Safe Passage. Perhaps that will change after her vaccination record is approved, but given the conversations I had today, I'm not hopeful.

Thanks for the good wishes - let's all hope they clean up this policy soon!

Our window opened today, and we submitted the 4-year-old's vaccination card, but of course that's still pending approval. I could see that in the Embarkation Screening section it already said "Testing at Port" which is why I went ahead and contacted Safe Passage. Perhaps that will change after her vaccination record is approved, but given the conversations I had today, I'm not hopeful.

Good luck! If you don't mind and are able, let us know how it ended up working out for you.

And enjoy the cruise! I'm sure it will be great once you finally get onboard. :)

Today I spoke with both Safe Passage and shoreside concierge, who both confirmed that passengers under 5, regardless of vaccination status, are subject to both pre-arrival testing (not rapid antigen) between 3-1 days prior to sailing, and embarkation-day testing at the port. We're going to be a group of 7 adults traveling with one fully vaccinated 4-year-old, so the annoyance of doing a separate procedure for her is real. I expressed considerable frustration and got nowhere, although the concierge said she would pass my comments along to leadership.

Shoreside concierge did say that if the policy were to change prior to our sailing, any changes would almost certainly apply immediately. So there's at least a possibility that we'll be able to avoid this somewhat arbitrary testing - I suspect that the more folks who call in and ask about it, the sooner things will change.
ARGH. This is SO infuriating. We have to get TWO tests, regardless of vaccination status? The same as unvaccinated kids??? That’s not what previous reports said.

Honestly, if we didn’t have family members coming with us, I would cancel the cruise at this point.

ETA: I tweeted at Scott Sanders to see if maybe he can crowdsource some more info.

Last edited:

Did they say why fully vaccinated kids fall under the same policy as those who aren't? I would LOVE to know the reasoning why. (I'm guessing it's "because we haven't thought of anything else and we don't want to force kids to vaccinate young kids so we'll anger the parents who did!")

Reports on this are still over the place. Shoreside concierge is just DCL customer service on a topic like this. DCL needs to update the policy so everyone knows what to do, including their own staff.

Safe Passage rejected my 4 year old’s vaccination card. I waited on hold with Disney for 3 hours to be told they haven’t issued guidance on vaccines for under 5 and it was up to Safe Passage/Inspire. Others in my FB group have called Safe Passage directly and they point the finger at Disney and claim to only follow direction by Disney. I’m furious that I put so much effort into getting my child vaccinated and ensuring he would clear the two weeks after last lose for “fully vaccinated” status prior to departure only to having Safe Passage and Disney point fingers at each other! It’s been over a month since the CDC approved this age group and this is infuriating!
Hi, just curious if you were able to get this settled or did your child need to have the PCR and teaf at the port? Thanks!

I feel like this is going to cause issues if they don’t clarify the testing requirements. My 3 year old just got her last Covid shot today. If it wasn’t for these boards, I’d be under the assumption that she tests just like every other vaccinated guest. And if I did that, I’m assuming we’d be denied boarding on day of cruise since she wasn’t tested like an unvaccinated child. I’d be very surprised if this scenario doesn’t happen at some point

I feel like this is going to cause issues if they don’t clarify the testing requirements. My 3 year old just got her last Covid shot today. If it wasn’t for these boards, I’d be under the assumption that she tests just like every other vaccinated guest. And if I did that, I’m assuming we’d be denied boarding on day of cruise since she wasn’t tested like an unvaccinated child. I’d be very surprised if this scenario doesn’t happen at some point
I thought of the same situation. It’s not easy to track down a PCR test for this age group. If you’re not prepared, you’d miss it.

I thought of the same situation. It’s not easy to track down a PCR test for this age group. If you’re not prepared, you’d miss it.

I just sent an email to guest services with Disney cruise to ask about the testing. I purposely wrote the email in a way that emphasizes my 3 year old should be treated like other vaccinated guests when asking if my assumption that she only has to test once no more than 2 days before cruise is correct and that my assumption she doesn’t have to wear a mask in the kids club and BBB like other vaccinated guests don’t have to is correct.

I’ll let everyone know when I get a response. I know email is slow but my cruise isn’t till end of October and I wanted something in writing for their answer so if I’m told she only needs the one test, I can use that to argue my case if they try to deny us boarding for only doing the one test.

Did they say why fully vaccinated kids fall under the same policy as those who aren't? I would LOVE to know the reasoning why. (I'm guessing it's "because we haven't thought of anything else and we don't want to force kids to vaccinate young kids so we'll anger the parents who did!")
I pressed this point with the shoreside concierge. While she expressed sympathy with my situation, it was clear that she was not allowed to say anything about the policy, other than what the policy was.

Email I received from Safe Passage regarding my 4yo:

Dear Disney Cruise Line Passenger,

The vaccine document provided for [removed my kids name], for this voyage or a previous voyage, is approved.

Completing Early Embarkation testing prior to embarkation day enhances boarding efficiency, and confirms you are negative for COVID-19 before arriving at the terminal.

There are three testing options available that can be completed no more than 2 days prior to sail date (embarkation day).

1. Order an Early Embarkation COVID-19 Home Test (Antigen) - RECOMMENDED
2. Schedule an Early Embarkation Test Near the Terminal
3. Upload an Embarkation Third-Party COVID-19 Test Result

Please log into Safe Passage to find out more details on the Home Page under Embarkation Screening.

On the Safe Passage website itself it says they are clear to arrive but it will not let me upload a test result for them and just says it requires a test at the port.

Last edited:

The vaccine document provided for [removed my kids name], for this voyage or a previous voyage, is approved.

Completing Early Embarkation testing prior to embarkation day enhances boarding efficiency, and confirms you are negative for COVID-19 before arriving at the terminal.

There are three testing options available that can be completed no more than 2 days prior to sail date (embarkation day).

Please log into Safe Passage to find out more details on the Home Page under Embarkation Screening.

On the Safe Passage website itself it says they are clear to arrive but it will not let me upload a test result for them and just says it requires a test at the port.

That just makes everything so much more confusing. It makes it seem like the new rule is under 5 that are vaccinated have to get tested at port instead of within 2 days like other vaccinated guests.

I really hope we get clarity soon cause I am hoping to know before we get on the plane that we will be able to get on the ship. I really want to avoid any chance of getting to the port, my 3 yr. Old seeing the “Mickey boat” that she is so excited to go on, and then get turned away cause she tests positive for Covid. That scenario causes me so much anxiety!

Okay, so they approved it and said you only need to test two days before, BUT they don't give you an option to upload the test. Clear as mud!

I am wondering if you can email your test results to them, like another poster did.

Thanks for the update!

For what it's worth, I emailed Safe Passage this morning. Here is the exact email I sent, in case anyone else wants to join me:

Good morning,

I would like guidance regarding the testing protocol for fully vaccinated children under 5, as Disney Cruise Line's website does not acknowledge vaccines are now available for this age group.

Since my child is fully vaccinated at the time of sailing, I am assuming he will only require an antigen test two days prior to sailing, the same as all other vaccinated passengers. Is this accurate?

Thank you,
[insert name here]

I spoke with Safe Passage a few days ago, and my 3yo (fully vaxxed) was finally approved today. Both confirm that no pre-testing is required, just testing at port (paid by Disney). I am not happy with this, but I’m glad he’s not being double tested.

I spoke with Safe Passage a few days ago, and my 3yo (fully vaxxed) was finally approved today. Both confirm that no pre-testing is required, just testing at port (paid by Disney). I am not happy with this, but I’m glad he’s not being double tested.
Wow. So they still have to test at the port? Did they explain why this age group is being treated differently than the others?

Wow, no pretesting at all? Just the port test? What is going on 🤣

Wow. So they still have to test at the port? Did they explain why this age group is being treated differently than the others?

No explanation. When I additionally spoke to Disney (as safe passage said it’s up to Disney) he was very nice and agreed with the inconsistency. He put me on hold 10 minutes to talk to a supervisor who reconfirmed this is the current practice. I asked him to pass on my feedback that we need consistency amongst vaccinated passengers, and that Disney needs to clearly spell out the current policy. He said he would, but I didn’t want to go overboard and request to speak to a supervisor, etc.

See you in the testing area.

My only positive I’m telling myself is that it’s one less test that I’ll have to submit to my insurance provider for reimbursement.

Just hoping my 4yo is treated like a vaccinated kid in the Oceaneer Club area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter