Children Moving Out?

I moved 2 thousand miles away. The drive is a little bit over 24 hours.

Now, that my parents are in their 70s and need assistance, I'm moving closer. However, it felt great being far away.
We are 5 hours from our parents who are also aging and having health issues. We talk about having a place closer to home because I am there a lot helping my mom, in particular. And we'd be closer to DDs too.

I think it is wonderful that people wanted to give advice and help, but find it silly to criticize the OP for not taking the advice that she clearly wasn't asking for!

And in all honesty, this isn't something that strangers on the internet can solve anyway. I mean unless they have 2 one-bedroom apartments in my area that they are willing to rent for about $750 - $800 a month vs the $1200 - $1500 they currently are. ;)

This thread has gone in several directions and I thank OP for starting it. It is interesting to discuss. It is not as black and white as it once was, like in the 50s or 60s. No one size fits all with any of this whether it be where our 20something kids live, where our just in college 18-22 kids live, where we and our parents live or the cost of it all and who pays what.

I have found the thread fascinating as it reminds me how easy it is to be "blinded" by our own circumstances. It's the idea that everyone else probably lives in a world very similar to ours because it's what we know. And as the DIS has taught me, this couldn't be farther from the truth.

There are so many infinite number of ways a child can get to 18, some with tons of help from their parents, some with none, some already making great decisions, and some still bumbling along their merry way. So of course just because one idea works for one family has no bearing on whether it will work for another. Just because it was super easy for some kids (or super hard) doesn't mean that's how it will be for another kid. Reminds me to listen to other's better and not just project my ideas onto their lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter