Childfree (by choice) Disney Lovers!

I imagine that everyone, parent, teacher, etc. has had a point in their life/career that they have been so fed up by behavior that they would have that kind of thought or make such a comment. That would like include your children's teachers and caregivers.

I doubt it's a reflection of anything other than temporary frustration, and shouldn't be taken as "the scariest thing you can imagine."

I imagine that everyone, parent, teacher, etc. has had a point in their life/career that they have been so fed up by behavior that they would have that kind of thought or make such a comment. That would like include your children's teachers and caregivers.

I doubt it's a reflection of anything other than temporary frustration, and shouldn't be taken as "the scariest thing you can imagine."

Hmm maybe? But her picture is in her siggie...just saying it's not a great thing to advertise in jest or otherwise online! And yes it is about the scariest thing a parent could imagine an elementary teacher saying! Not trying to start something...it's just with the internet these days you just never know who reads what etc.

I would think that the scariest thing that you could imagine w/ respect to your children would be far worse that "not liking" a child who was behaving badly in a library. Just sayin'.

Hmm maybe? But her picture is in her siggie...just saying it's not a great thing to advertise in jest or otherwise online! And yes it is about the scariest thing a parent could imagine an elementary teacher saying! Not trying to start something...it's just with the internet these days you just never know who reads what etc.

This may not be the thread for you.

Honestly, I can think of much scarier things. Now that I think about it, I've actually heard teachers say much scarier things. I know a lot of teachers and, believe it or not, they are actually human.

I would think that the scariest thing that you could imagine w/ respect to your children would be far worse that "not liking" a child who was behaving badly in a library. Just sayin'.

LOl that would be true if that was what I'd said, but what I said was that it was the scariest thing I could imagine an elementary school teacher saying! Big difference! And more then anything I am just saying that venting things like that online is not smart. People get fired for things they post on facebook! A forum like this is even worse because nothing is private! Common sense online is a must these days. I'm an author ( A childrens' book author no less) so I know how careful you have to be! I'm so careful on Facebook account that I sometimes have to delete my friends' comments because they can reflect on me, which could affect my career. Sad but true.

QUOTE]

You're right! I would have never opened this thread! But here's how I did..

I searched the forum with the name of an eatery I was thinking of making a reservation at, and also threw the word "KIDS" in the search term, hoping to see if it was child friendly. This thread popped up. I was reading through it to find the info I was hoping to find, and found the comment. If I accidentally found it, so could anyone. Just like any other thread on any public message board. The other thing I saw was a lot of posts about people admitting they don't like kids. All I'm saying is if you were a parent and you accidentally found it and it was surrounded by other posts about people not liking kids, then bam it looks like you have a teacher who hates kids and the possibility of a parent recognizing the picture in the siggie and calling saying, "Whoah that's Miss So and So.." Not good for a career! So yeah, I'm not a childfree by choice person and I didn't mean to crash your thread, but I stumbled upon it and so can anyone else. The internet is crazy like that, and a sense of humor doesn't always convey itself the way you think it does. You're right teachers are human, but just like anyone else who works a job where your reputation and character really matters they have to be VERY careful.

So I'll stop 'crashing' this thread with that thought and be on my merry way!

Oh the best part! I've figured out the place I was going to make a reservation at is listed here as a good place to go if you don't like kids! HAHAHAHAH:lmao::lmao::lmao: Guess we'll go to Chef Mickey's instead that night! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

LOl that would be true if that was what I'd said, but what I said was that it was the scariest thing I could imagine an elementary school teacher saying! Big difference! And more then anything I am just saying that venting things like that online is not smart. People get fired for things they post on facebook! A forum like this is even worse because nothing is private! Common sense online is a must these days. I'm an author ( A childrens' book author no less) so I know how careful you have to be! I'm so careful on Facebook account that I sometimes have to delete my friends' comments because they can reflect on me, which could affect my career. Sad but true.

I"ve been venting various frustrations here on our little area for several years now and it's been fine. Sorry I offended you, but when you are at the point of wanting to cry for how horrible kids are being, it's perfectly natural to vent your frustrations on here rather than break down in front of a room of 20 kids. I can't imagine that my saying that is the most horrible thing, I've been pretty open my entire life about not liking kids in general and I"ve also been subbing at schools for about 5 years and until today, I've never had a big complaint about anything.

I do hate when someone comes to a certain area of the board seemingly to start trouble...I have no issue with anyone posting here, but when you come on to basically talk trash about something someone has said, that's not right. It's not how our thread is run, yet always seems to happen in the CF threads at some point or another. :sad2:

Generally, yes. I couldn't agree more, Tiffany. Unfortunately, wanting nor liking children is generally received about as well as advertising gender preference. Maybe worse.

Maybe I am the odd one out here, but I don't ever find myself in the I love children thread expressing how much I think their opinions and comments are the wrong thing to do. I generally think people should be able to do what they want and accept the consequences for their actions.

Thankfully, I am not a teacher nor do I have any contact with children in any way other than a twice yearly adventure with nieces and nephews, or wishing the one crying in the aisle next to me at the grocery store or at a restaurant would stop crying already.

So I can feel free to exercise my right to say I don't like children all I want. :)

QUOTE]

You're right! I would have never opened this thread! But here's how I did..

I searched the forum with the name of an eatery I was thinking of making a reservation at, and also threw the word "KIDS" in the search term, hoping to see if it was child friendly. This thread popped up. I was reading through it to find the info I was hoping to find, and found the comment. If I accidentally found it, so could anyone. Just like any other thread on any public message board. The other thing I saw was a lot of posts about people admitting they don't like kids. All I'm saying is if you were a parent and you accidentally found it and it was surrounded by other posts about people not liking kids, then bam it looks like you have a teacher who hates kids and the possibility of a parent recognizing the picture in the siggie and calling saying, "Whoah that's Miss So and So.." Not good for a career! So yeah, I'm not a childfree by choice person and I didn't mean to crash your thread, but I stumbled upon it and so can anyone else. The internet is crazy like that, and a sense of humor doesn't always convey itself the way you think it does. You're right teachers are human, but just like anyone else who works a job where your reputation and character really matters they have to be VERY careful.

So I'll stop 'crashing' this thread with that thought and be on my merry way!

Oh the best part! I've figured out the place I was going to make a reservation at is listed here as a good place to go if you don't like kids! HAHAHAHAH:lmao::lmao::lmao: Guess we'll go to Chef Mickey's instead that night! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I understand what you are saying and that Tiff should be concerned about "what" she is saying and "who" may see the things that she posts. However I feel your being a bit overdramatic in the sense that she never said she "hated" children, she just said that sometimes she dislikes them and that today she had a particularly rough day. Schools do not fire teachers because they choose not to have children or that they voice their dislike for them. They fire them because they are bad teachers, which Tiff is not. Along with many of the childfree by choice people here that's why we chose not to have them, because we do not like them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it's a free country to voice that opinion.

It is obvious that you "were" offended by this thread as a parent. I am sure that if you did not have children this thread would not have affected you enough to hide behind some lame excuse post warning her to watch what she is saying. We have had many trolls in the past stop by and tell us how terrible we are for choosing not to have children. You are no different!

We are glad that you were able to find the information about the restaurant you were looking for! We are always here to help people with our opinions about Disney and the things we love about it.

It is obvious that you "were" offended by this thread as a parent. I am sure that if you did not have children this thread would not have affected you enough to hide behind some lame excuse post warning her to watch what she is saying. We have had many trolls in the past stop by and tell us how terrible we are for choosing not to have children. You are no different!

QUOTE]

I don't care if you don't have any kids. Never said that. Why would that offend me? You're missing the point. The point is it's not smart for a teacher to says she doesn't like kids in a place where anyone can read it. That does offend me because she could be talking about MY kid. Fortunately she's not because we don't live in Waco texas! (Saw it beneath her picture..I'm not a stalker!) I do have a friend from college who teaches down there, though at Cedar Ridge Elementary, and FWIW she does have some difficult students sometimes, but she would never dream of posting about her dislike for them on any kind of public message board. I also know that she does actually like kids, but that's beside the point. Sigh, nevermind. It's just as a parent it's hard to read a teacher admit that she doesn't like kids. Which she did admit. She told me she's been open about it her whole life. We don't get to choose our kids' teachers, so it's just frustrating. Sad that someone would want to teach who doesn't like kids I guess. Anyway I'm not a troll. Sorry that you didn't like my lame post...but people honestly don't remember the breadth of the internet sometimes. Here's an excerpt from an article about teachers and social networking, published just a couple of weeks ago..

"""Teachers across the nation have been suspended or fired because of questionable material posted on their Facebook pages and other online social networking sites.

In 2008, seven employees of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg, N.C., school system were disciplined and at least one person was fired because of Facebook postings. That led to a memo going to all Charlotte-Mecklenburg school staff warning that offensive postings to social networking sites are grounds for termination or disciplinary action.

Thomas and Jennifer Lanane, president of the Wake County chapter of the North Carolina Association of Educators, said she wasn't aware of the details of the Hussain case, but said that teachers need to be careful about information they put online.

"We are public figures," Lanane said. "We are held to a higher standard.""""

I don't care if you don't have any kids. Never said that. Why would that offend me?

Because you chose to post on a thread that is titled "Childfree (by choice)"!!

You're missing the point. The point is it's not smart for a teacher to says she doesn't like kids in a place where anyone can read it. That does offend me because she could be talking about MY kid.
No your missing my point, just because she says she doesn't like children it's not going to get her fired! The article that you are referring to said that teachers were suspended or fired because of "questionable materials posted" and "offensive postings to social networking sites" ie. dating/matchmaking sites, which is completely different from mentioning it on a CHILD FREE thread!!

Fortunately she's not because we don't live in Waco texas! (Saw it beneath her picture..I'm not a stalker!)

Not all people live in the area that they have posted, a lot of people use fake cities or use cities they were born in but not necessarily live in.

It's just as a parent it's hard to read a teacher admit that she doesn't like kids. Which she did admit. She told me she's been open about it her whole life. We don't get to choose our kids' teachers, so it's just frustrating. Sad that someone would want to teach who doesn't like kids I guess.

There are many people who are in professions that they do not like. In this economy we sometimes have to choose what helps support us at the moment. My DH works for a school district, no he's not a teacher, but he knows many teachers who do not have children and many do not care for "some children" in the their classes because they are difficult to deal with because their parents do not parent them. They want the teacher to parent their child because they are too lazy, busy, drug addicted, alcohol addicted, etc.

This is Tiff's exact quote:
omg...have I mentioned how much I don't like kids sometimes???

"don't like kids sometimes"

That is not cause to dismiss her as a substitute teacher!!

Yes you are a troll because you will not go away!:sad2:

Well okay then I guess I am a troll! :lmao:

But if you're going to keep misrepresenting what I'm trying to say, then I guess I'll keep responding. First of all, the OP told me specifically in another post that she has been open her whole life about not liking kids, so no it's not just sometimes.

Secondly, if you were a teacher interviewing for a job in an elementary school setting would you tell your prosepctive employer that you didn't like kids? :lmao::lmao::lmao: I bet not!! Then why would you post it online? Makes no sense.

I don't have any right to judge you for not having kids. That's your business. But I have a right to cry foul when a teacher admits to not liking kids. As a parent I have a right to expect that any teacher especially with early childhood aged kids, will actually believe my child is a worthwhile individual while under their control. Sorry but you can't tell me that someone who really doesn't like kids could be that great of a teacher to elementary aged kids. Elementary aged kids already have a lot of bad things going for them...sometimes they smell bad, they cry, they have boogers and snot and other unsavory things coming out of every body orifice, and oh, they don't listen very well. So anyone who works with them has to get past that stuff before they can even get to the business of educating them! Not an easy task if you don't like kids at all to begin with!!

Yeah economic times are bad, I get that. But kids deserve teachers who care about them and actually want to devote their lives to them.

I'm sure the OP had a bad day. All teachers do. But this wasn't just a bad day as she explained to me later that she hasn't liked kids her whole life. The part about her not liking kids isn't what gets me here, it's that she's a TEACHER. Obviously since you don't have kids you don't understand what it's like to hand your kids over to someone else. Do you have cats or dogs or anything? Would you hand them over to someone who proclaims they dislike cats or dogs and then trust them to take care of them? Well take that feeling times ten thousand and then maybe you'd understand. :sad2:

And also, generally, social networking sites refer places like facebook and myspace or other places online where people just chat about themselves.

It's funny how you want to think that everyone is against you for not having kids. Why would we care? :confused3

Oh well. I have a chapter to get off to my agent, so I guess I don't have time to be a troll anymore. I've never been a troll before! Don't know why anyone would want to do it though, it's not much fun!

FWIW, I'm not a TEACHER. I sub. I see these kids for a few hours 1 day and then generally never see them again...also just because I may not like kids doesn't mean I can't be nice to them and attend to their needs.

also FWIW, I don't like most adults either. I'm extremly anti-social...I have just a small group of people that I like/love(some of whom I met right here on the DIS) and really most other people I could do without. I am not a people person, but I can certainly fake interest and niceties to anybody and they can't tell the difference. It doesn't make me a bad person or mean that I can't be around other people. Just because I'm not a people person/kid person doesn't mean I'm gonna hole up in a cave somewhere and not interact with anyone. I can be friendly and cordial and do what I need to and still feel the same way about them in the back of my mind. and no one is the worse for it. Doesn't mean I can't still be a good person/good worker/good teacher or whatever the circumstance is.

last bit on this: I also stated in another post(this part seems to have been ignored), that in my 5 years of subing, this is the first time I've felt this badly about a day subbing. Generally I've had pretty much mostly good things to say about the kids I've had each day. And today I did have some REALLY good kids.(quiet, polite, nice, did what was asked of them without complaint) ..but for the ones that were bad, it just really really got to me.

FWIW, I'm not a TEACHER. I sub. I see these kids for a few hours 1 day and then generally never see them again...also just because I may not like kids doesn't mean I can't be nice to them and attend to their needs.

also FWIW, I don't like most adults either. I'm extremly anti-social...I have just a small group of people that I like/love(some of whom I met right here on the DIS) and really most other people I could do without. I am not a people person, but I can certainly fake interest and niceties to anybody and they can't tell the difference. It doesn't make me a bad person or mean that I can't be around other people. Just because I'm not a people person/kid person doesn't mean I'm gonna hole up in a cave somewhere and not interact with anyone. I can be friendly and cordial and do what I need to and still feel the same way about them in the back of my mind. and no one is the worse for it. Doesn't mean I can't still be a good person/good worker/good teacher or whatever the circumstance is.

Not liking people AND your pet's name is Lestat? AWESOME.

Generally, yes. I couldn't agree more, Tiffany. Unfortunately, wanting nor liking children is generally received about as well as advertising gender preference. Maybe worse.

:scared1:

You can't honestly be serious.

Oh, yeah...::yes:: Some people just are as fanatic about that as other controversial (sp?) topics. I've had people try to "convert" me on occassion. In fact for a while my Mom was one of them. Fortunately my Brother & SIL have 5 now so that makes her happy & keeps her busy! Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but there was a time there that it wasn't so pleasant.

wishing the one crying in the aisle next to me at the grocery store or at a restaurant would stop crying already.
:thumbsup2 Been there... totally know what you are saying.

So we are having a good day. I got a gift card to Panera for my 10 year anniversary at work. That was enough to take DH to lunch w/me today, and enough left over for coffee & a bagle some morning. Tonight I came home to piping hot, home made French Onion Soup! :stir: Mmmmm.

And DH has an interview next Wednesday at a place right down the street from my office. I'm trying not to get my hopes up -- they are interviewing a lot of people for just one position. But, if nothing else is it another opportunity for him to polish up his interview skills.

Tiff -- sorry to hear Lestat is having such a hard time. Guess it is tough to go from being an "only child" to having "cousins" in the house.

:scared1:

You can't honestly be serious.

In my world anyhow. I can't tell you how many times someone has tried to change my mind, telling me I am missing out on a "normal life", imply that there is somehow something wrong with me for feeling this way, or tell me I will grow out of it.

No bashing or hate crimes, of course, so maybe I am making light of it.

Anyhow, I was the one that said I don't like children, not Tiffany. I wonder,though, if it would be a troll to go around telling parents who post that they don't like their children today that they might wind up in jail for neglect?

Now, I'm fairly new to this board, and don't want to cause any problems so early on...but isn't the decision to have children (or not) a very private and personal one? I am a parent (and questioned my sanity several times after the two visits to the labor/delivery room LOL), but I would never, ever take offense or point fingers towards anyone who chose to remain child-free. Anyone who glamorizes parenthood as the most wonderful, fantastic problem-free experience one could ever imagine is either full of crap or only five minutes into parenthood.

That having been said, I applaud anyone who makes a conscious decision that they can live with, and to any offended parents who take it personally because someone else isn't enamored by the whole mommy experience, I say, "Mind Your Own Business".

I hopped into this thread because DH and I already did the parent thing, thank you very much, and are thrilled to be empty-nesters. So, I'm hoping to find advice on where to go on Disney to avoid the families from hell and have a fun and romantic week. Thanks to all of you who have offered me some great suggestions on dining and events! Can't wait for September!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter