Child Behavior Question

Camcolt,
I went through a lot with DD last year, in kindergarten. IT is an amazing year for them. Time to spread their wings and this was where we had most of our conflicts.
Kids are so independent in K Then when they come home they aren't sure what they are suppose to do. In school they are responsible for notes, assingements, going to the bathroom by themselves, home work, back packs, taking books to the library, ( I was in DDs class and 2 boys were returning a pile of books to the library This was a very long walk! all Alone! I laugh at it now but it was a shocker to realize how indepentent they really are.)
Anyway....What I found worked with DD besides being consistant , but also use praise. Remember to let them know when they really had a good day. I try not to single out why the day was so good or event but would say after a shopping outing and we had no running off or pouting I would tell her how much fun it was and that I was looking forward to the next trip I wouldn't say I am so glad you didn't run off etc..... Or if all the her clothes were in the hamper on wash day I would say thank you and let her know how helpful that is to me. If her and her brother had a good day I would comment on that....such as how lucky I am to have children who play well with each othter.
Also with DD she needed down time after school Still does I would have a ton of ???? about her day but would hold off till dinner time or even before bed. made it part of story time. This seemed to take a lot of the pressure off.
Plus make sure they get plenty of rest, and food! I had a either lunch or a snack ready as soon as she got in the door! it does get better. This year, first grade has been great!

OMG Spinning, everything you said sounds very familiar. ;) DS is like that in that when he comes home and I want to hear about his day, he just wants to dump his backpack and be left alone. He does need to chill when he gets in(DH is the same way:rolleyes: )
I do most of the stuff you mentioned so its good to know that it should get better soon.

My DS was so bad about listening, I actually took him to the doctor to have his hearing checked! :rolleyes: His hearing is fine. :rolleyes:

The only "punishment" that seems to faze my DS is "NO TV!" A few months ago, he had TV taken away for a whole month! It was wonderful for us but he was just devastated.

Of course, we have other issues with my DS as well, but the not listening is not totally related to his "other issues."

We try to do the best we can......

OMG...I thought DD(5) would be growing out of this soon. :(

I'm also a SAHM and it gets so bad sometimes that I just send her to her room for the rest of the day. She'll go in there and turn on a movie and we both kind of get "time outs" from each other. She just doesn't listen and sometimes I think to myself that her purpose in life is just to make me mad. DH doesn't have to deal with it as much as I do since he's at work at least 12 hours a day so I have to deal with it all by myself and it's soooooo frustrating at times. I was hoping she would calm down once she started school, but from reading this thread I guess that won't be happening any time soon :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter