Chicken/Turkey/Beef Pot Pies, crust on the bottom or not?

Pot Pies, crust on the bottom, or just the top?

• Crust all over

• Crust on the top only

• Don't care

• Don't eat pot pies

Results are only viewable after voting.

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
DW is crazy for Chicken Pot Pie. But is disappointed that Marie Callendar, KFC and Boston Market all have suddenly started putting crust only on the top. She says the best part of a pot pie is the gravy soaked bottom crust.
Any other pot pie fanatics out there? How do you feel?

Not a fanatic, but yes it should be on the bottom. That is my favorite part as well. The top always seems to get too dried out or burned, especially if they are the microwave kind. I'm not 100% sure without looking which brand we normally buy, but it does have the crust on the bottom. It's in a reddish-orange box, and I think it is the Stouffer's brand. Not the best in the world or anything, but ok.

We make our own and we use crust on the bottom and top.

I could go either way regarding one crust or two. When I make it at home, I use two. And once in a great while, I'll buy one from the store. Sometimes they have one, sometimes two.

But for me, the top crust is the best. I'm not completely crazy when the bottom one gets all soggy from the gravy, but I like the crunchy top. :thumbsup2

I prefer the top crust, but I like to have both. Pie crust is really easy to make and the chicken pie soup inside is easy as well. Putting that chicken pot pie filling in a bread bowl is also really delicious. I'd encourage her to try making her own.

Top crust only is cobbler. Crust all over is pie. I prefer chicken pot PIE.

And it's VERY easy to make -- I'd have her try her hand at it. If she doesn't like to deal with the crust, she could use the pre-made refrigerated crusts -- brush with egg wash mixture and sprinkle with poultry seasoning.

We rarely eat pot pies, but when we do we prefer a bottom and top crust.

We had Marie Callendar chicken pot pies just the other day because we were in a hurry and I had a couple of them in the freezer. They had both bottom and top crust as I always bake them in the oven, even though you can microwave them, and then I turn them over to dump them out of their container onto a plate for serving, then cut into the crust so they can start cooling a little.

When I make my own, I don't put a crust on the bottom..I actually never really thought about it.
When I buy the individual ones (Banquet?) they do have a crust on the bottom. But it doesn't matter to me as I am a top-crust person. ;)

When I make my own, I don't put a crust on the bottom..I actually never really thought about it.
When I buy the individual ones (Banquet?) they do have a crust on the bottom. But it doesn't matter to me as I am a top-crust person. ;)

Sorry I couldn't get the iPad to work to vote in your poll, but put me down for "Top Crust Only". The gluey, half-raw bottom crust is yucky to me and a big waste of calories. I wouldn't eat it even if it were on there and I absolutely never put it on a homemade one.

And it's VERY easy to make -- I'd have her try her hand at it. If she doesn't like to deal with the crust, she could use the pre-made refrigerated crusts -- brush with egg wash mixture and sprinkle with poultry seasoning.

Exactly!

...and a chicken cobbler doesn't sound too appetizing

Sorry I couldn't get the iPad to work to vote in your poll, but put me down for "Top Crust Only". The gluey, half-raw bottom crust is yucky to me and a big waste of calories. I wouldn't eat it even if it were on there and I absolutely never put it on a homemade one.

I agree. Nothing worse than a fork full of underdone, gummy, soggy bottom crust. I make mine with top crust only. If I'm out and am served one with top and bottom crust, most of the time I push the soggy bottom crud over to the side of my plate.

We rarely eat pot pies, but when we do we prefer a bottom and top crust.

We had Marie Callendar chicken pot pies just the other day because we were in a hurry and I had a couple of them in the freezer. They had both bottom and top crust as I always bake them in the oven, even though you can microwave them, and then I turn them over to dump them out of their container onto a plate for serving, then cut into the crust so they can start cooling a little.

We don't buy the frozen ones, just have them in restaurants. We were at Marie Callendar last night, and it only had a top crust.

DW is a superstar with pie crusts, and yes they are easy. Just never have made pot pies them at home.
That's one of her comfort foods to eat when we eat out. Mine is liver and onions.

DW is the big pot pie eater, but when I have them, I have to admit the gluey half raw bottom crust is a highlight. I suspect you don't like dumplings either. That's what it reminds me of.

DW is crazy for Chicken Pot Pie. But is disappointed that Marie Callendar, KFC and Boston Market all have suddenly started putting crust only on the top. She says the best part of a pot pie is the gravy soaked bottom crust. Any other pot pie fanatics out there? How do you feel?

The gravy soaked bottom crust is the only reason TO eat a pot pie. Everything else is just filler and I eat it only because it's in the way of the bottom crust.

DW is crazy for Chicken Pot Pie. But is disappointed that Marie Callendar, KFC and Boston Market all have suddenly started putting crust only on the top. She says the best part of a pot pie is the gravy soaked bottom crust.
Any other pot pie fanatics out there? How do you feel?

:thumbsup2 This.

DW is the big pot pie eater, but when I have them, I have to admit the gluey half raw bottom crust is a highlight. I suspect you don't like dumplings either. That's what it reminds me of.

A little OT, but I LOVE dumplings! They're light and fluffy and if steamed properly are cooked all the way through and floating prettily on top of the gravy like little puffy islands of tasty deliciousness! Mmmm, dumplings! :cloud9: (Much better than greasy raw bottom crust sludge. ;))

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter