Chicago Marathon 2020 - Dismeet

roxymama

DIS Veteran
Update as of 7/13/20: the 2020 Chicago marathon has been cancelled

Wanted to start this thread for any disboard runners who will be participating in the Chicago Marathon 2020. Please let me know if you made it in (whether via guaranteed, lottery or charity.)
I will add to the participants list.
Feel free to post any questions, helpful links and meetup ideas. I'll add meetup/shakeout runs to this first post.

The lottery pick is today Dec 12 2019.
I will post the link to the charity page in case you'd like to participate via that route.

When: October 11th, 2020

Participants
Accepted:
@roxymama
@Bree
@Neon Cactus
@BikeFan
@r2d2_runner
@tigger536
@croach
@philliab
@Princess KP

Chicago International 5k
Saturday, October 10th

Last edited:
I'm in. I hadn't planned to run Chicago again in 2020, but several running buddies entered the lottery, so I took advantage of the more-relaxed time qualifier standards and got a guaranteed entry. I was worried none of my friends would get picked, since they were the whole reason I was even going, but 2 of them got in, so there's at least three of my club going to Chicago!

I'm in. I hadn't planned to run Chicago again in 2020, but several running buddies entered the lottery, so I took advantage of the more-relaxed time qualifier standards and got a guaranteed entry. I was worried none of my friends would get picked, since they were the whole reason I was even going, but 2 of them got in, so there's at least three of my club going to Chicago!

awesome!!! I also had a guarantee this year but from shuffle legacy not speediness. I’ll add you to our list :)

My travel is all set. I'm flying up on Saturday, the 10th. I leave Dallas at a wonderful 5:15 AM and land at 7:38. Then I leave on Sunday night around 9 PM. The W City Center still had availability with Bonvoy points, so I'm staying there Saturday night.

I'm in! So excited (and nervous!). It will be my first marathon too!
Question for those who've run this race before: My husband and kids will probably be coming with me - how easy is it to get around the city to find runners during the race (on foot or via public transit ... with a 5 and 9 year old)? If getting around is tricky I will just have them wait at one spot ... but if it is possible to get around without too much hassle then I think they'd enjoy seeing different parts of the race.

I can have my hubby weigh in on a guest post at some point. He saw me in 7 spots on the course but he used trains and city bikes. So I wouldn’t recommend that for young kids. There were several spots downtown where he just stayed put and then saw me at two different mile markers by walking one block or two.

@r2d2_runner Assuming you stay somewhere downtown near the river, there would be a way your family could see you a few times. My wife has never used any public transportation or means other than walking but she may get around a little faster than your husband would with children.

If you look at the course map, you can see that the course crosses the Chicago River a number of times. I think my wife typically does something like this...
  • State and Grand: stand on the west side of the course and sees me sometime after mile 1.
  • N. LaSalle Drive: Sees me again at around mile 3 (still north of the river). To get between these 2 points she only walks like 3 blocks and runners have to go a couple miles.
  • Then she takes her time and is able to see me right before the halfway point when we cross the river again after coming back from the north section of Chicago. Because Chicago has a riverwalk, you are able to move east/west "across" the course by walking down along the river as it goes under the streets running north/south. I think my wife typically gets breakfast at the hotel or somewhere between my miles 3+ to 12-13 on my return to downtown.
  • I think last in 2017 or 2018 she even walked several blocks and caught me again after mile 16 in Greektown.
  • And then finally she has worked her way over to the last mile and was able to catch me on Michigan Ave. before I turned onto "Mt. Roosevelt"
So she's been able to see me 4 to 5 times on foot each year. There is some walking but I know she has felt super safe or else she wouldn't do it. She's not a fan of large cities.

If you used other means of transportation you could cover more ground. But by walking you can at least be in control of your own schedule.

This is super helpful - thank you! It’s especially good to know that there is a way to cross the course by going under the streets. I’m going to check out a map too but this plan sounds like a great starting point.
@r2d2_runner Assuming you stay somewhere downtown near the river, there would be a way your family could see you a few times. My wife has never used any public transportation or means other than walking but she may get around a little faster than your husband would with children.

If you look at the course map, you can see that the course crosses the Chicago River a number of times. I think my wife typically does something like this...
  • State and Grand: stand on the west side of the course and sees me sometime after mile 1.
  • N. LaSalle Drive: Sees me again at around mile 3 (still north of the river). To get between these 2 points she only walks like 3 blocks and runners have to go a couple miles.
  • Then she takes her time and is able to see me right before the halfway point when we cross the river again after coming back from the north section of Chicago. Because Chicago has a riverwalk, you are able to move east/west "across" the course by walking down along the river as it goes under the streets running north/south. I think my wife typically gets breakfast at the hotel or somewhere between my miles 3+ to 12-13 on my return to downtown.
  • I think last in 2017 or 2018 she even walked several blocks and caught me again after mile 16 in Greektown.
  • And then finally she has worked her way over to the last mile and was able to catch me on Michigan Ave. before I turned onto "Mt. Roosevelt"
So she's been able to see me 4 to 5 times on foot each year. There is some walking but I know she has felt super safe or else she wouldn't do it. She's not a fan of large cities.

If you used other means of transportation you could cover more ground. But by walking you can at least be in control of your own schedule.

This is super helpful - thank you! It’s especially good to know that there is a way to cross the course by going under the streets. I’m going to check out a map too but this plan sounds like a great starting point.
My family came and we stayed at the Hyatt place river north. There were three spots with the first half that are very close. Like mile 1.5. , mile 3.1, and about 12.5.

Mile 14ish and 17ish were also easy for my husband because there’s basically like a long out and back. It was nice to see him there because I’d never raced beyond a half and those were some much needed cheer spots for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter