Chef Mickey versus Cape May versus Topolinos?

This. I get that the quality of food at Topolino's is a step above the other AYCE character meals, it's why it's probably my favorite meal on property. But it's harder to swallow the price if you just get the one entree and that's it. Last time we went my mom got the waffles as her main and the portion was tiny. If that's all she got, there no way I could justify $45pp. This is my opinion of course, others can disagree, I just don't think I can justify the cost if this change happens. I'll just go somewhere else, no biggie I guess.
It also makes me wonder if kids under 3 are still free like other AYCE venues or if you will order kid priced entree? Or maybe that’s how it always was an Topolinos (never been).

Based on everything (and my 2 year olds new found love for the Disney ducks haha), I think I’ll stick with Cape May! People rave about the character interaction, daughter is definitely free at the buffet, and buffet is less stressful bc I can immediately get her some fruit to snack on rather than wait to order and be served!

It also makes me wonder if kids under 3 are still free like other AYCE venues or if you will order kid priced entree? Or maybe that’s how it always was an Topolinos (never been).

Based on everything (and my 2 year olds new found love for the Disney ducks haha), I think I’ll stick with Cape May! People rave about the character interaction, daughter is definitely free at the buffet, and buffet is less stressful bc I can immediately get her some fruit to snack on rather than wait to order and be served!

Kids under 3 are given a choice of anything on the kid's menu at Topolino's

We were just there with my 2yr old, and we did not have to pay for him. I did not have the same experience as @Aimeedyan above though. He was not given any food, and instead ate some of the other food ordered.

We were just there with my 2yr old, and we did not have to pay for him. I did not have the same experience as @Aimeedyan above though. He was not given any food, and instead ate some of the other food ordered.
No Way! Did you ask your waiter and they said no? I'm so sorry. We've dined there 10+ times before he was 3 and they always offered a kid's meal (though I usually asked, just in case policy changed since the last visit).

That would be a huge change in policy if they refused to bring a meal for them :(

No Way! Did you ask your waiter and they said no? I'm so sorry. We've dined there 10+ times before he was 3 and they always offered a kid's meal (though I usually asked, just in case policy changed since the last visit).

That would be a huge change in policy if they refused to bring a meal for them :(
I never even thought to ask. We've had breakfast there with him twice now and they never offered him anything.

Both Space 220 and Artist's Point did offer him a free mac and cheese, which was also a first for us.

I never even thought to ask. We've had breakfast there with him twice now and they never offered him anything.

Both Space 220 and Artist's Point did offer him a free mac and cheese, which was also a first for us.

I have no shame - I asked the waiter each time if he needed to eat off our plate, or could have something off the kid's menu. I was okay with sharing but knew I needed to pivot my food choice if he was going to eat mine, too. Thankfully, they always said they could have anything they wanted off the kid's menu so he always got the dippers. Come to think of it - H&V didn't offer, either, until I asked (before buffet returned).

Wonder if they've been told to not offer unless asked?

I know this wasn't a given option but depending on your checkout day (since it isn't offered everyday), I found the character breakfast at Ravello @ the Four Seasons very good and it had Goofy and Mickey as characters which may help fit your need.

I know this wasn't a given option but depending on your checkout day (since it isn't offered everyday), I found the character breakfast at Ravello @ the Four Seasons very good and it had Goofy and Mickey as characters which may help fit your need.
Looked this up - not offered on our day, sadly! Looks delightful!

In a similar situation as OP and was able to score an ADR for Cape May when my window opened, since I had no such luck with Topolino’s (our first choice). I plan to keep checking consistently for a little pixie dust and an opening for Topolino’s before our trip in May, but is there anyone who can shed a little insight to how Cape May compares? Is this a decent restaurant to have as our backup plan?

@EdnaModeDahling A little bit delayed on a response to your post here, but these are the main differences IMO
  • Characters - Cape May has Goofy Topolinos has Mickey, so if Mickey is a deal breaker just be aware. I prefer the costuming at Topolinos, personally but I think kids may prefer CM because it is a beach theme and they may not appreciate Donald as a sculptor the same way I do.
  • Food - Topolino's IMO has much better food. It is a pre-fix so your food is cooked to order and has an overall better quality. If quantity over quality is more important to you or you want more classic food CM is good because it is more of a standard breakfast okay but nothing to write home about.
I think depending on what you are looking for it is a decent replacement, breakfast outside the parks with characters. I rank those as 1 - Topolinos 2 - Ravello 3- CM 4 - Chef Mickey's. Mostly because I rank high on food and general ambiance.

I think Ravello has better food that I would put the closest to the Topolinos food, so if food is the biggest consideration I would look into it. Ravello is cheaper ($40) and is a great option if you have a car and can make it work for your dates. It does only have 3 characters but they are Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy. The biggest drawback is it is only on specific days that combined with not being able to use Disney transport makes it a deal breaker for a lot of people. Chef Mickey's is a good option if you think breakfast is just breakfast and it is all fine and you can't really tell that much of a difference and characters are most important because you get the fab 5.

If you are willing to consider in-park character breakfast my second favorite behind Topolinos is the one at Tusker House just because I think it has a bit better food. Characters at Tusker House are Mickey, Daisy, Donald, and Goofy so if Mickey is a deal breaker, then it may be something to consider.

@EdnaModeDahling A little bit delayed on a response to your post here, but these are the main differences IMO
  • Characters - Cape May has Goofy Topolinos has Mickey, so if Mickey is a deal breaker just be aware. I prefer the costuming at Topolinos, personally but I think kids may prefer CM because it is a beach theme and they may not appreciate Donald as a sculptor the same way I do.
  • Food - Topolino's IMO has much better food. It is a pre-fix so your food is cooked to order and has an overall better quality. If quantity over quality is more important to you or you want more classic food CM is good because it is more of a standard breakfast okay but nothing to write home about.
I think depending on what you are looking for it is a decent replacement, breakfast outside the parks with characters. I rank those as 1 - Topolinos 2 - Ravello 3- CM 4 - Chef Mickey's. Mostly because I rank high on food and general ambiance.

I think Ravello has better food that I would put the closest to the Topolinos food, so if food is the biggest consideration I would look into it. Ravello is cheaper ($40) and is a great option if you have a car and can make it work for your dates. It does only have 3 characters but they are Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy. The biggest drawback is it is only on specific days that combined with not being able to use Disney transport makes it a deal breaker for a lot of people. Chef Mickey's is a good option if you think breakfast is just breakfast and it is all fine and you can't really tell that much of a difference and characters are most important because you get the fab 5.

If you are willing to consider in-park character breakfast my second favorite behind Topolinos is the one at Tusker House just because I think it has a bit better food. Characters at Tusker House are Mickey, Daisy, Donald, and Goofy so if Mickey is a deal breaker, then it may be something to consider.
This is VERY helpful information! Thank you!! Topolino’s is what I really have my heart set on for food, atmosphere and character preferences (I also think their outfits are just perfect!), but it’s proving to be a pretty tricky reservation to nab (no surprise there, I’m sure). No luck 60+ days out and I haven’t seen anything pop up just yet. Hoping to have some luck closer to the trip and I think that we’ll keep Cape May lined up as a backup character meal. Ravello sounds great too, but our dates don’t line up. Thanks again!!

@EdnaModeDahling I'd also try signing up for some of the Disney Dining alert tools. I know there's a few of them some are free some aren't but google can probably be helpful on which ones may fit this need.

I know touring plan offers one but I don't know if you have to be paid to use it or not https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/reservation-finder

The other thing I've seen luck with is people signing up on the walkup waitlist and getting in. I feel like that only works if you are staying at Riveria though or mayyybe Carribean Beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter