Cheerleading Summit May 3-5

PDettorre

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone! I can't seem to find a thread dedicated specifically to this, but if I missed it please let me know!
I have been tasked with taking my nephew to his cheerleading summit competition at Disney next weekend. We will be arriving early Friday morning, May 3rd, and leaving Tuesday morning, May 7th. I have been to Disney a million times for vacation, but I have never been for a competition or anything like this. Does anyone have any advice/tips? Mainly on the points below? I am a planner, I usually have my trip booked 6-8 months in advance, FPs and ADRs booked as soon as i am able to, and i usually have each day planned for the most part months in advance. This trip seems like it will sort of be a take it day by day, hour by hour kind of trip, so I am sort of panicking!
  • It seems like the check in process is complicated. Like there's a bunch of different places we have to check in? And they said we need our confirmation number and reservation information, but i never received any of that (i booked the package through Varsity Cheer.)
  • We arrive at the airport at 9:30am, but we wont have magic bands. How do we get on the magic express without magic bands? Do we have to check in with varsity cheer somewhere at the airport first?
  • How much time do you end up spending at the parks/at the ESPN center for the competition? People keep telling me to plan to be at the ESPN center all day Saturday and possibly all day Sunday if he makes it-but that seems a bit crazy. Why would i have to be there all day if doesn't compete until later in the day? All his other competitions he just arrived a few hours before his comp time, and left after he competed?
  • Are we provided with more information when we arrive, because I feel like the info Varsity Cheer is sending out is slightly vague and I really don't want him missing anything or being late.
Any info for anyone who has done this before would be great! I have been to many competitions and even coached for a year, but I have never taken on a competition at Disney! I am probably more stressed then I should be...

We are heading down for D2 Summit the following week (arrive May 8). Here is what I know:
Depending on the resort you are staying at, there are different places to check in. Varsity posted an orientation video for Summit. In the video, they talk about everything from arrival at MCO to checking in at your resort. Here is a link so you can watch it, just scroll down a bit under the Pinnacle award info and the link is there:

https://www.varsity.com/all-star/competitions/end-of-season-events/the-summit/

You do not need Magic Bands to ride the DME. I received an email two weeks ago from Varisty asking me for my flight information so they could schedule me for the DME. Did you get an email and return the information? If you never got an email, I would contact Varisty. They should have your name and resort listed on a form where you check in at the DME area.

From what I have heard, it is similar to regular comps where the participants arrive two hours ahead for warm-ups, etc. That being said, I have been told that you should expect getting TO the ESPN to take twice as long as you might expect because there is SO MUCH TRAFFIC. Also, expect long lines at get into the venue. Once he competes, it is up to the coaches, but most people leave. They announce who is moving on at specific times in various locations, so you do not need to hang around. The schedule is posted here: https://www.varsity.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/VAS_Summit_PO_Thu_Sat_19.pdf so locate his team name and you will have a much better idea of how the day(s) will run.

Hope this helps you- lots of good info available in the links I provided. Good luck to your nephew!

We are heading down for D2 Summit the following week (arrive May 8). Here is what I know:
Depending on the resort you are staying at, there are different places to check in. Varsity posted an orientation video for Summit. In the video, they talk about everything from arrival at MCO to checking in at your resort. Here is a link so you can watch it, just scroll down a bit under the Pinnacle award info and the link is there:

https://www.varsity.com/all-star/competitions/end-of-season-events/the-summit/

You do not need Magic Bands to ride the DME. I received an email two weeks ago from Varisty asking me for my flight information so they could schedule me for the DME. Did you get an email and return the information? If you never got an email, I would contact Varisty. They should have your name and resort listed on a form where you check in at the DME area.

From what I have heard, it is similar to regular comps where the participants arrive two hours ahead for warm-ups, etc. That being said, I have been told that you should expect getting TO the ESPN to take twice as long as you might expect because there is SO MUCH TRAFFIC. Also, expect long lines at get into the venue. Once he competes, it is up to the coaches, but most people leave. They announce who is moving on at specific times in various locations, so you do not need to hang around. The schedule is posted here: https://www.varsity.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/VAS_Summit_PO_Thu_Sat_19.pdf so locate his team name and you will have a much better idea of how the day(s) will run.

Hope this helps you- lots of good info available in the links I provided. Good luck to your nephew!

I did get the instructional video and DME sign up, but there was very little information provided about riding the DME without magic bands and i haven't received any further information since sending the form in. I am just so used to using my magic band to ride it, and the one time my magic band didn't work when i tried riding it they almost didn't let me on! So, that is where my slight panic stems from with the DME!:rotfl:
I also watched the video and i guess that overwhelmed me a bit too, because there was so much general information. It seemed like it was saying there's 3 different check in's at three different locations, but they just quickly said where all the different spots were. I guess I am hoping for a more condensed version.
I did look into the schedule, but it is helpful to know how early we should plan to head to ESPN. Thank you!
Do you know if there is a way to pull our reservation information to get confirmation numbers and such? Also, do you know what information is needed to check in to DME at the airport without magic bands?

Good luck to your daughter!!

I did get the instructional video and DME sign up, but there was very little information provided about riding the DME without magic bands and i haven't received any further information since sending the form in. I am just so used to using my magic band to ride it, and the one time my magic band didn't work when i tried riding it they almost didn't let me on! So, that is where my slight panic stems from with the DME!:rotfl:
I also watched the video and i guess that overwhelmed me a bit too, because there was so much general information. It seemed like it was saying there's 3 different check in's at three different locations, but they just quickly said where all the different spots were. I guess I am hoping for a more condensed version.
I did look into the schedule, but it is helpful to know how early we should plan to head to ESPN. Thank you!
Do you know if there is a way to pull our reservation information to get confirmation numbers and such? Also, do you know what information is needed to check in to DME at the airport without magic bands?

Good luck to your daughter!!

Unfortunately you cannot get a reservation number until you check in- which is terrible because w/o that we can't schedule FP, etc. I too have had a really hard time not being able to plan anything and we only get our Magic Bands at check-in. Only then can we get our tickets and link them and our reservations to the MBs that they give us :( I think if you never got the info emailed about the DME I would contact Varsity. In the email it stressed that they needed it returned at least two weeks prior in order to schedule our transportation. Can you maybe print out a copy of your paid package from the Varsity website to show them so they at least know you are participating? Did you get the email where they tell you which hotel you are assigned to? Maybe print that one out and bring it with you.

Hi Everyone! I can't seem to find a thread dedicated specifically to this, but if I missed it please let me know!
I have been tasked with taking my nephew to his cheerleading summit competition at Disney next weekend. We will be arriving early Friday morning, May 3rd, and leaving Tuesday morning, May 7th. I have been to Disney a million times for vacation, but I have never been for a competition or anything like this. Does anyone have any advice/tips? Mainly on the points below? I am a planner, I usually have my trip booked 6-8 months in advance, FPs and ADRs booked as soon as i am able to, and i usually have each day planned for the most part months in advance. This trip seems like it will sort of be a take it day by day, hour by hour kind of trip, so I am sort of panicking!
  • It seems like the check in process is complicated. Like there's a bunch of different places we have to check in? And they said we need our confirmation number and reservation information, but i never received any of that (i booked the package through Varsity Cheer.)
  • We arrive at the airport at 9:30am, but we wont have magic bands. How do we get on the magic express without magic bands? Do we have to check in with varsity cheer somewhere at the airport first?
  • How much time do you end up spending at the parks/at the ESPN center for the competition? People keep telling me to plan to be at the ESPN center all day Saturday and possibly all day Sunday if he makes it-but that seems a bit crazy. Why would i have to be there all day if doesn't compete until later in the day? All his other competitions he just arrived a few hours before his comp time, and left after he competed?
  • Are we provided with more information when we arrive, because I feel like the info Varsity Cheer is sending out is slightly vague and I really don't want him missing anything or being late.
Any info for anyone who has done this before would be great! I have been to many competitions and even coached for a year, but I have never taken on a competition at Disney! I am probably more stressed then I should be...

This is our second trip to Summit and like you I am a huge WDW planner so it kills me to not have FP+.

Here is a bit of info that you asked for. If you have more questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

1. Depending on your hotel, you will have a designated Varsity check in at one location, then a hotel check in at the desk. For the Coronado, the check in is near the convention hall and for Caribbean it's in one of the parking areas. I don't remember what it said for the All Stars. Then after you check in with Varsity (where you will get your park tickets, wristbands, lanyards, you will go to the hotel registration and check in to the hotel. This is where you will get your MB and room assignment. You can then link your MB's (ours were red last year) to your account in MDE. You will also need to link your park ticket to your MDE so you can create FP+. We were lucky to snag some pretty good ones last minute. You can also RD the parks for the days you are able.

2. You do not need MB for DME. Since you already sent in the form, I would follow up with a phone call to DME. The number is 866-599-0951 and ask them if they received it. They may be able to give you the confirmation number over the phone and this is what you will present to DME when you get to MCO. Unfortunately, you may not recieve the paper notification in time to get your luggage tags (if you use them).

3. Day of comp we compete at 2:30 so our gym has us meeting there at noon. I will take my daughter and have my husband/sons meet there around 1 or so. My daughter is on 2 teams so her second competes at 5:30 but her first revel is at 4:45 so I imagine those non-insane 1 team kids will leave after lol. Her second revel is not until 9:15 but I don't plan to stay at WWoS for 4 hours after. I'll likely leave and come back.

4. Biggest thing is check the Varsity schedule online, keep an open line of communication with the coach/gym and follow those times. For Disney lovers like us, it's hard to not to think of this as a WDW trip but really, it's a cheer comp at WDW. Cheer first, play second.

One other thing. Find out if his gym or coach wants to have a practice before hand. We compete Friday so on Thursday, we will all get together and have a run through.

One other other thing. You can make ADR's now. No need for confirmation or tickets for those.

This is our second trip to Summit and like you I am a huge WDW planner so it kills me to not have FP+.

Here is a bit of info that you asked for. If you have more questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

1. Depending on your hotel, you will have a designated Varsity check in at one location, then a hotel check in at the desk. For the Coronado, the check in is near the convention hall and for Caribbean it's in one of the parking areas. I don't remember what it said for the All Stars. Then after you check in with Varsity (where you will get your park tickets, wristbands, lanyards, you will go to the hotel registration and check in to the hotel. This is where you will get your MB and room assignment. You can then link your MB's (ours were red last year) to your account in MDE. You will also need to link your park ticket to your MDE so you can create FP+. We were lucky to snag some pretty good ones last minute. You can also RD the parks for the days you are able.

2. You do not need MB for DME. Since you already sent in the form, I would follow up with a phone call to DME. The number is 866-599-0951 and ask them if they received it. They may be able to give you the confirmation number over the phone and this is what you will present to DME when you get to MCO. Unfortunately, you may not recieve the paper notification in time to get your luggage tags (if you use them).

3. Day of comp we compete at 2:30 so our gym has us meeting there at noon. I will take my daughter and have my husband/sons meet there around 1 or so. My daughter is on 2 teams so her second competes at 5:30 but her first revel is at 4:45 so I imagine those non-insane 1 team kids will leave after lol. Her second revel is not until 9:15 but I don't plan to stay at WWoS for 4 hours after. I'll likely leave and come back.

4. Biggest thing is check the Varsity schedule online, keep an open line of communication with the coach/gym and follow those times. For Disney lovers like us, it's hard to not to think of this as a WDW trip but really, it's a cheer comp at WDW. Cheer first, play second.

One other thing. Find out if his gym or coach wants to have a practice before hand. We compete Friday so on Thursday, we will all get together and have a run through.

One other other thing. You can make ADR's now. No need for confirmation or tickets for those.
Than you SO much! This is helpful! One follow up question, do we not use our magic bands as tickets? Will we get separate tickets on top of the magic band?

Than you SO much! This is helpful! One follow up question, do we not use our magic bands as tickets? Will we get separate tickets on top of the magic band?

You will get both a card ticket (size of a credit card) and a MB. Oh and take a picture of the back of your card ticket (the part with the barcode and seriel number). If you lose your card, they can replace it however if you don't have that info, you are out of luck. Keep both on you as you will need both to enter into WWoS for the competition. You are also given a Summit lanyard so we just kept ours in there. To tap into the parks, FP+, etc, we just used our bands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter