Cheer competition, value resorts and how far out are the resorts set aside/booked?

CapeCodTenor

Dis Veteran; Dis Dads #865
So, I'm looking at booking a trip for the April/May time period. I'm not looking to book it for next year (being out of work has put that plan on hold), but I am looking at 2021. Since it's been years since I was last down, I'm using next year to get an idea of how much it's going to cost, plus adding a little extra for the inevitable increase. I've noticed that when I put my reservation online to get a price, all All-Stars and the Caribbean Beach have been blocked out. Does this mean that the resorts have already been set aside for the cheer groups, or have I been unlucky in choosing my dates? Just wondering. Thanks.

I am only guessing but I think that you may be looking too far into the future for room availability. It might serve you better if you called the Disney line and talk to a CM regarding setting reservations that far into the future.

So, I'm looking at booking a trip for the April/May time period. I'm not looking to book it for next year (being out of work has put that plan on hold), but I am looking at 2021.

WDW's online booking is only available through 12/31/2020. You can make phone reservations right now through Feb. 25, 2021 -- 499 days out. You aren't finding availability in April/May 2021 because that's too far out at this point. For planning, you'll have to work with some estimates at this point and look at real prices in a few months.

Enjoy your vacation!

WDW's online booking is only available through 12/31/2020. You can make phone reservations right now through Feb. 25, 2021 -- 499 days out. You aren't finding availability in April/May 2021 because that's too far out at this point. For planning, you'll have to work with some estimates at this point and look at real prices in a few months.

Enjoy your vacation!

I know, I was using next year's dates to get an idea of how much it'll cost me. The dates for the time frame I was looking at, around May 7th, was already booked up. I was wondering if Disney had already blocked out the rooms during that time period for the competition. That's all.

They could be blocked, or sold out already, or most likely WDW's funky algorithm is blocking you. Have you tried searching for a slightly different time period -- a day or two shorter/longer, shift your arrival date, etc.? The booking algorithm may not show availability for a 4-night stay if it thinks a 6-night stay can be sold. It makes it very hard. Good luck planning!

I know, I was using next year's dates to get an idea of how much it'll cost me. The dates for the time frame I was looking at, around May 7th, was already booked up. I was wondering if Disney had already blocked out the rooms during that time period for the competition. That's all.

There are two major cheer competitions between May 1 and May 10 next year, so it's very likely the All Stars are already reserved for teams and families (not necessarily blocked by Disney, but already booked by guests)

They could just be sold out, or it's looking for a discounted room. Sometimes the gremlins do weird things.

It could be the gremlins doing weird things...it wouldn't be the first with me. :teeth:

Yes, dates for major convention groups are often blocked out well more than a year in advance.

Does Disney block them out, or do the individual groups do that, by reserving them? I would think that Disney would do that in order to ensure the rooms are available since most of the groups won't know if they are going...just taking a guess here on that last part.

They could be blocked, or sold out already, or most likely WDW's funky algorithm is blocking you. Have you tried searching for a slightly different time period -- a day or two shorter/longer, shift your arrival date, etc.? The booking algorithm may not show availability for a 4-night stay if it thinks a 6-night stay can be sold. It makes it very hard. Good luck planning!

I have moved my dates a couple of days here and there, I'll try another week to see if it changes.

There are two major cheer competitions between May 1 and May 10 next year, so it's very likely the All Stars are already reserved for teams and families (not necessarily blocked by Disney, but already booked by guests)

I'm thinking Disney may have blocked the dates out I was looking at to ensure the rooms are available for the groups. While I may not have gotten the price I wanted, it did give me an idea of when the competitions are.

I'm thinking Disney may have blocked the dates out I was looking at to ensure the rooms are available for the groups. While I may not have gotten the price I wanted, it did give me an idea of when the competitions are.

You can also check right on the ESPN Orlando website - there's an Events tab that you can select the month, and it will show you everything booked for that time frame. With the national competitions, they tend to book the same week/weekends years in advance, so it's pretty likely that the same events will be happening next year.

I'm booked for the middle of May next year but my first choice was the first week. I ran into the same issue and I booked in early September! I had no problems with availability for the following week.

Does Disney block them out, or do the individual groups do that, by reserving them? I would think that Disney would do that in order to ensure the rooms are available since most of the groups won't know if they are going...just taking a guess here on that last part.

So, it's kind of both. Most conventions do a room commitment, and those units get blocked out by Disney to be booked via the convention organizer as a "travel agent." There is a guarantee date on which any unused rooms are returned to Disney, it's usually 60-90 days.

Same is true for most group functions.

You can also check right on the ESPN Orlando website - there's an Events tab that you can select the month, and it will show you everything booked for that time frame. With the national competitions, they tend to book the same week/weekends years in advance, so it's pretty likely that the same events will be happening next year.

This is good to know, I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

I'm booked for the middle of May next year but my first choice was the first week. I ran into the same issue and I booked in early September! I had no problems with availability for the following week.

I was trying to use the first week of May to get an idea of how much it was going to cost and ran into the issue of not being available. I wound up moving a week and got the information I needed.

So, it's kind of both. Most conventions do a room commitment, and those units get blocked out by Disney to be booked via the convention organizer as a "travel agent." There is a guarantee date on which any unused rooms are returned to Disney, it's usually 60-90 days.

Same is true for most group functions.

Not something I knew, thanks for letting me know it works.

we are going April 21-28 2020. When I was checking prices with my TA before Labor Day she said there was a Cheer event at the All Stars 4/25-28 and ASSp is "sold out", Movies and Music only had preferred left.
We booked a standard room at POP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter