Checking a Duffel bag

carlypaigesmom

Mouseketeer
This time we are flying southwest and our 3 year old will have a seat and be able to check a bag. I plan on putting of her stuff in my suitcase but thought about checking a small duffel bag for her other stuff. This makes me kinda nervous. (Bag ripping etc). Thoughts?

Are your other suitcases hardsided? To me it depends on the build material/quality of the duffel. I have some duffels I'd have no problem checking (and have) and others I wouldn't even take on the trip.

Depends on what "stuff" is going in it and what type of duffel bag it is.

Toys? No way because they literally through the luggage around so a toy could easily break in a duffel bag.
Vera Bradley duffel bag? No way because while they are good quality they are not made for the kind of beating it would get.
A duffel bag made of the same material as soft sided suitcases? Sure but still wouldn't consider putting toys or anything potentially breakable in it.

Depends on what "stuff" is going in it and what type of duffel bag it is.

Toys? No way because they literally through the luggage around so a toy could easily break in a duffel bag.
Vera Bradley duffel bag? No way because while they are good quality they are not made for the kind of beating it would get.
A duffel bag made of the same material as soft sided suitcases? Sure but still wouldn't consider putting toys or anything potentially breakable in it.

I have checked my large Disney VB duffel at least 10 times and it is still in great shape (I throw it in the wash periodically to keep it clean), I just tie up the handles really tight so that nothing happens to them and they don't get caught on anything. I don't put anything breakable in there just our rain jackets, extra shoes, bathing suits etc..

I have a cheap small duffel that I got free from a conference that I attended, and I worry about that thing falling apart just taking it for an overnight by car though.

I have checked my large Disney VB duffel at least 10 times and it is still in great shape (I throw it in the wash periodically to keep it clean), I just tie up the handles really tight so that nothing happens to them and they don't get caught on anything. I don't put anything breakable in there just our rain jackets, extra shoes, bathing suits etc..

I have a cheap small duffel that I got free from a conference that I attended, and I worry about that thing falling apart just taking it for an overnight by car though.

To each their own. I had a bad experience with my favorite VB duffel bag as a checked bag so I don't suggest it to others. At least I was compensated but that pattern had been retired and I couldn't find it on ebay at the time. Now I have another in a different pattern that I absolutely adore! While I know its not widely liked I actually prefer that they are now making the inside plain because I feel like the contrast of material helps make the bags more durable. Don't get me wrong though I love my VB's that have inside patterns :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter