Cheap Eats in Hilton Head?

amsafko

DIS Veteran
We just planned a quick getaway over Easter to Hilton Head and are staying in a villa that has a full kitchen. However we would like to eat out for our dinners. Anyone have any good suggestions (prefer no chain restaurants). Thanks!

There is a place on the very end of the island called the Sea Shack. Ask anyone around and they will know about it. Go early though as it gets real busy. It looks like a hole in the wall, but it has great food.

We just planned a quick getaway over Easter to Hilton Head and are staying in a villa that has a full kitchen. However we would like to eat out for our dinners. Anyone have any good suggestions (prefer no chain restaurants). Thanks!

Where abouts in HHI will you be staying and how far do you want to drive?

Your best bet is to hit the early bird specials there...some great restaurants offering 3 course prix fixe menus for around $15. If you pick up the restuarant guide there, find the page that lists restaurants with the early birds. If you post what kind of cuisine you prefer that would help for making suggestions. Most of HH is not a chain...tons of great places to eat.

Other suggestions for all the time: Kenny B's. Also there's a wonderful Thai place. Signe's for breakfast is fab. For a New York deli experience go to Gruby's. I'm also very fond of Truffles.

For early bird consider going to the Black Marlin or Capt. Woody's. Both have good seafood.

My favorite is Il Carpaccio. It is in Pineland Station around the back by the duck pond. Incredible Italian food under $20. Great local place.

We are staying at the Marriott Grande Ocean in Sea Pines. Thanks for the suggestions so far - we are pretty open to different cuisines (thankfully my kiddos are adventurous eaters - oh, by the way, they are 8, 6, and 3 so it should be kid friendly). For those who know this area, how long is it to go from one end to the other? Thanks again for the help.

We are staying at the Marriott Grande Ocean in Sea Pines. Thanks for the suggestions so far - we are pretty open to different cuisines (thankfully my kiddos are adventurous eaters - oh, by the way, they are 8, 6, and 3 so it should be kid friendly). For those who know this area, how long is it to go from one end to the other? Thanks again for the help.

15-20 minutes once you're in the Sea Pines Circle (which is one end of the island). Really, it's not bad at all, unless it's July 4th week. Truflles is inside Sea Pines. Giuseppi's Pizza is there too....they have more than pizza and everything is really good. Kenny B's and Sea Shack are right outside the circle. It's Greek to Me is one block farther...casual but good. Hilton Head...so many restaurants, so little time. Good luck. Your kiddos will probably enjoy the petting zoo they've added to Lawton Stables, also in SP. We also like the playground. And a ride on the trolley is a free but fun adventure (we like to do the loop from Harbour Town to the Beach Club).

PS. Publix has great chicken tenders...get them for the kids and get take out someplace nice for you.

Aunt Chilada's for Mexican
Wild Wings- awesome wings
Frosty Frog -great burgers even better frozen drinks
Hudsons for seafood

Have a great time!

I forgot The Smokehouse for barbecue. Excellent pulled pork and ribs.
I also love buying fresh shrimp to make scampi on the grill.

It will be a couple years since we've been down and I'm missing it!! I need my HH fix!

We have visitied Hilton Head every summer for 18 years and love it! You must try to find a free newspint magazine called the Hilton Head Dining Guide. You may have to use last summer's since I am not sure when they are reprinted. This will have menu selections from most of the recommendations you have already received as well as specials and prices. Our favorite is the early bird filet mignon at Frankie Bones in the Main Street area and also the early bird at Marley's which is close to the traffic cirlce. The Oyster Factory has a neat location and great seafood. One Hot Mama's has great BBQ and Ale (also near the circle), Guiseppis is Ok for pizza but in the summers it can feel like they are doing you a favor by letting you eat there (IMO). I like to spend my money where people are happy to have my business. After this long winter, I am certain that most establishments will be happy to have you! Have a great visit!

My family loved the crab legs at Aunt Chilada's!

If you want the best shrimp burger hands down you need to drive over to the shrimp shack on Sea Island Parkway. Worth the drive believe me!

While you are there you can check out Hunting Island State Park and Beach.

It will take about an hour/20 to get there from HH, so call to make sure they are open (they work low country hours ;) )

1925 Sea Island Pkwy, Saint Helena Island, SC 29920-4813
(843) 838-2962

They also have shrimp baskets, fish ( never frozen), scallops, oysters, etc. It is all fried low country food.

They are very low key come as you are (bathing suits allowed) type place.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...int_Helena_Island_South_Carolina.html#REVIEWS

there are some bad reviews there but in my opinion they are people who do not know what low country shrimp burgers are in the first place ( chopped shrimp formed into a burger) or just want to beach about something. We have been eating there for over 20 years and have never had bad food there.

I second Guiseppe's (sp?) pizza and Sea Shack. Ate at both on my trip. Sea Shack was hard to find, though! It's not right on the road. you ahve ot turn into the complex and look for it.

Also, be sure to check Restaurant.com. They have certificates for some places at HHI.

We'll be there at the Marriott over Easter, too!
We take advantage of the Pizza Hut on the property and the Grille during the day quite often. Usually we do our eating out at lunch while on a bike ride and eat dinners at the resort (grill out or cook in the unit).
There are plenty of menu flyers available so that you can see a portion of what is available and how much the food costs at the restaurants around the island. Just look for the magazines near the check in desk and outside the grocery stores and other establishments on the island.
There is a greek place in Coligny Plaza that we like to go to, and we usually do a lunch at South Beach. Then we usually pick new places to try each year.

Sea Shack is great and relatively cheap. It is indeed a shack and very crowded...you'll wait awhile outside. The food is worth it though!

Crazy Crab is also a good deal. It has a similar lunch and dinner menu, but the lunch one is about 5.00 cheaper per entree. Go for a late lunch/early dinner and save $$$. Then just order a pizza from Giuseppi's late night!

There is a place on the very end of the island called the Sea Shack. Ask anyone around and they will know about it. Go early though as it gets real busy. It looks like a hole in the wall, but it has great food.

If you want the best shrimp burger hands down you need to drive over to the shrimp shack on Sea Island Parkway. Worth the drive believe me!

While you are there you can check out Hunting Island State Park and Beach.

Shrimp Shack is a must for locals, I have been going there ever since I was a small child! They are seasonal though, but our seasons begin a lot earlier than most. The building is a blue "shack" that you can sit in at picnic tables and eat or eat outside. It is very beachy and fun! BlueFariy is right it is not on hilton head though, it is quite a drive.

BUT if you are going to visit Beaufort, Plums ( laid back and family friendly) is great. They are just finishing up a huge renovation and if you are looking for seafood, Dockside in Port Royal is where most people go. It's amazing being a seaside community we dont have more seafood places. If you visit downtown Beaufort don't forget to visit The Chocolate Tree- If you or anyone in your family is a chocolate lover you wont be sorry!

San Miguels on HH has great mexican as well. Coligny plaza (by aunt chiladas) has some good little places to eat as well. Have a great trip!

Another vote for the Sea Shack. Great food, good prices. We asked a local one day where they would go for lunch and that is where they suggested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter