Character Interactions

Do your bosses pay that much attention to complaints if they feel they are nit-picky or that it was an unfounded complaint? Or is that whole “customer is always right” thing and you get in trouble anyway?
It's as the old cliche says "the Guest is not always right but they're still the Guest".

Even though it may be nit picky and unfounded, managers still have to address complaints. I've found that managers are reluctent to officialy reprimand CMs unless it's clear, and not just the word of the Guest, that the CM was at fault.

As for CMs getting in trouble, managers have to think twice before reprimanding CMs. If a CM feels that they have been unjustly reprimanded they have the option of submitting it to the Union for further action.

Do your bosses pay that much attention to complaints if they feel they are nit-picky or that it was an unfounded complaint? Or is that whole “customer is always right” thing and you get in trouble anyway?
I had a friend in Florida who used to be a princess character. They had a 3 strikes and you're out system. If I remember correctly, she got 2 guest complaints within a short time, weren't really investigated. She was placed in a different position, backstage. A colleague filed a complaint. And again, without really checking she was send away. This was about a decade ago.

Unless it is clearly something absolutely ridiculous such as “Cinderella didn’t smile as much for us as the family before us” (yes, a genuine complaint) then Managers will find out what happened and either issue a warning or not.
If the complaint is something they felt the character was lacking (low energy, didn’t answer a particular question, short interaction), a Manager may have a chat with the performer about their performance, or may watch them next time they are doing a set

I'm interested in the process of getting ready. Do you have to get dressed and hair/make up on your own or do you have a team that helps with the process onboard? Do you have someone or a team who helps check over the uniform before leaving the crew areas?
Do you go through any pre-interaction checks or routine to help swap between characters- voice, stance, etc?

I'm interested in the process of getting ready. Do you have to get dressed and hair/make up on your own or do you have a team that helps with the process onboard? Do you have someone or a team who helps check over the uniform before leaving the crew areas?
Do you go through any pre-interaction checks or routine to help swap between characters- voice, stance, etc?
No we do our makeup ourselves. We are initially taught how to do it when we first start. Yes someone makes sure we look perfect before we go onstage. No, once we are approved it is assumed we know how to portray the character. As a Cast we have our own little pre-set/show rituals that we do together

What happens if you are meant to be Cinderella but you accidentally do or say something from another princess who you’ve been. Do you get in trouble for that too?

Unless it is clearly something absolutely ridiculous such as “Cinderella didn’t smile as much for us as the family before us” (yes, a genuine complaint) then Managers will find out what happened and either issue a warning or not.
If the complaint is something they felt the character was lacking (low energy, didn’t answer a particular question, short interaction), a Manager may have a chat with the performer about their performance, or may watch them next time they are doing a set
I guess that whether the character meeting was lacking is subjective so it would be hard to give you a warning or whatever based on someone’s opinion, right?

It's as the old cliche says "the Guest is not always right but they're still the Guest".

Even though it may be nit picky and unfounded, managers still have to address complaints. I've found that managers are reluctent to officialy reprimand CMs unless it's clear, and not just the word of the Guest, that the CM was at fault.

As for CMs getting in trouble, managers have to think twice before reprimanding CMs. If a CM feels that they have been unjustly reprimanded they have the option of submitting it to the Union for further action.
Good to know that the managers seem reasonable and that you have the union to back you too

What happens if you are meant to be Cinderella but you accidentally do or say something from another princess who you’ve been. Do you get in trouble for that too?
It would depend on how obvious it was. If Cinderella started talking about her sister’s ice powers there could be a problem 😂
I have never had this happen, but I would assume if it did and a Guest made a complaint then we would be spoken to

Strange question but what happens if you are out being a character and you feel sick or dizzy or anything? Especially if you are a character like Mickey who cant talk to their person

Strange question but what happens if you are out being a character and you feel sick or dizzy or anything? Especially if you are a character like Mickey who cant talk to their person
Not a strange question at all! Stuff happens occasionally, and while we try and keep going as much as possible, sometimes you just can’t.
There is a hand signal that characters use to notify their greeter that they need to leave immediately. Safety is always number 1, but you won’t see a character running to get backstage. They will always stay in character until out of sight of Guests before addressing the problem

No , its a UK word, describing a particular type of UK people.

In America, Chav would be Trailer Trash or Redneck
Just so we're clear, both of those terms are derogatory in the US as they are mostly used to put someone down... we'd appreciate if you're able to refrain from using all three labels in the future as it is upsetting people. Thanks!

Sorry, just a few things as I absolutely agree with the CM and please know your role is magical for the young one.

Motherdaughtercruises, You stated:

You can‘t make rules around respect and force this on people. So this statement is confusing. People either demonstrate this and have it or they don’t. I dont’ know how to Write rules forcing respect on people, perhaps you meant something else?
Also,

How is this true? Cruising is a business. We each choose to spend our dollars on this particular cruise line. It would be a privilege is one was chosen but the choice is ours, each of us.

The privilege is truly those who choose to spend their hard earned money on this option. There are many this day and age who are struggling to feed families and pay bills, much less afford any type of vacation,

I imagine any rudeness from a passenger follows that passenger; doesn’t matter if it’s a beach vaca, cruise vacation or wherever they may go. Rudeness will follow. There’s a reason people are choosing DCL over other cruise lines (or for that matter - other types of vacations such as all inclusives, etc.).
It's a privilege which means it's not a right or something to which you're entitled. Traveling means accepting the terms and conditions of the providers - and one doesn't have the right to spend money and treat people like crap. I mean - when even hospitals are needing to put up signs like, "Be respectful to staff" - it's a sign there's something going on (so I'd argue that written or unwritten rules are necessary).

Another edit to original post.
Some Guests (children and adult) thought it would be funny to sprinkle sand over Chip and Dale at Castaway Cay. This was not funny!!!
Please don’t do this and please check that your child is not carrying handfuls of sand before they meet the character

I think I remember asking you about sand in costumes here recently…. Sorry for jinxing you!!!!! 🫣🫣🫣😳

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter