Changes coming to Rivers of Light coming Memorial Day weekend

We were there in March 2018 for Spring Break. I believe there were live performers with the lanterns walking around at the beginning of the show. Our family thought ROL was okay. But it wasn’t something we had to see again. Now with this update, I’m contemplating adding this to our plans this summer. I’m anxious to see the reviews.
The performers were cut in September 2018.

I'm the minority here... but Rivers of Light is my family's unmatched FAVORITE WDW show. I am so heartbroken that they'll be infesting it with some generic movie clips... so disappointing! Really hoping that the changes will be light and the abstract, unique, and original theme will still be there but I doubt it. Thanks a lot Disney and thanks to the people who don't appreciate anything that doesn't have that traditional Disney feel for (probably) destroying the core of this beautiful show. Smh.

Maybe it's more saddening that my family only got to see it twice, once with the live actors (BEST) and another time where the complaints made them take away the live actors. We'll probably go see it again but it just won't be the same.

What happened to originality?

EDIT: after reading other posts I'll say this:
1. I cried at the end of Rivers of Light when we first saw it
2. I was certainly wowed by it, especially the projections and the effects on the lilies.
3. As a 13 year old I really enjoy it - I get that maybe people like this "ooh animations!!!!! characters!!!!!" thing, and adults would think that kids would like it the most, but as a teen I really, really, really love the show too.

Sigh.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I really liked Rivers of Light. I think because it feels like a unique creation divorced from the Disney character marketing integration machine. It's like if Cirque du Soleil did the Electrical Water Pageant.

I saw it in late 2017 and my understanding is that the live performers dramatically carrying around the lanterns are no longer part of the show anyway, but I could've watched those people all night.

I love the idea of incorporating some of the characters from the Disneynature documentaries, but incorporating the animated characters is a disappointment. It's understandable and predictable, but unfortunate.

There was just an episode of the Best and Worst of WDW where they talked about the Best Things in AK. The thing I love about AK that didn't make the list is that it feels a bit more adult than the other parks. Between changes to Rivers of Light and the dumbing down of the menu at Tiffins, it just bums me out a little that everything has to be lowest common denominator, but I guess that's what it means to run a business.
This!

I'm the minority here... but Rivers of Light is my family's unmatched FAVORITE WDW show. I am so heartbroken that they'll be infesting it with some generic movie clips... so disappointing! Really hoping that the changes will be light and the abstract, unique, and original theme will still be there but I doubt it. Thanks a lot Disney and thanks to the people who don't appreciate anything that doesn't have that traditional Disney feel for (probably) destroying the core of this beautiful show. Smh.

Maybe it's more saddening that my family only got to see it twice, once with the live actors (BEST) and another time where the complaints made them take away the live actors. We'll probably go see it again but it just won't be the same.

What happened to originality?

EDIT: after reading other posts I'll say this:
1. I cried at the end of Rivers of Light when we first saw it
2. I was certainly wowed by it, especially the projections and the effects on the lilies.
3. As a 13 year old I really enjoy it - I get that maybe people like this "ooh animations!!!!! characters!!!!!" thing, and adults would think that kids would like it the most, but as a teen I really, really, really love the show too.

Sorry you are unhappy to see it changed. For me, not liking it had nothing to do with lack of a Disney feel. I was a fan of Illuminations, which had no characters or movie tie-ins, and we really loved the old Epcot parade that did not have characters either. I just did not find that much exciting in ROL. Adding characters and movie tie-ins won't make me like it more I'm afraid.

Sorry you are unhappy to see it changed. For me, not liking it had nothing to do with lack of a Disney feel. I was a fan of Illuminations, which had no characters or movie tie-ins, and we really loved the old Epcot parade that did not have characters either. I just did not find that much exciting in ROL. Adding characters and movie tie-ins won't make me like it more I'm afraid.
Oh that's interesting. Yeah, it's not exactly a big, flashy show - my family really just enjoys the effects even if it's not flashy.

Greetings fellow Disney Enthusiasts!

We are going to Magic Kingdom on a date there is a MVMCP. We are not going to the event, so the park closes at 6pm for us. However, not paying attention, I booked an ADR for Skipper Canteen at 6:45. Will we be allowed to stay in the park for our ADR or do I need to reschedule it?

Thanks for the information in advanced!

You should be fine because regular restaurant hours for Skipper's on a party night are until 7pm (vs 9pm on a non-party night). They will just make sure you leave the park directly after your reservation. I'm not sure if they just ask you to leave, or if a CM actually walks you out.

To be 100% certain I would ask on the MVMCP page, I bet they have better answers!

All-New “Rivers of Light: We Are One” Nighttime Show Debuts with Disney Character Additions at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
from BlogMickey

http://blogmickey.com/2019/05/all-n...disney-animation-and-disney-nature-additions/

Disney held a special unannounced Annual Passholder preview of the all-new Rivers of Light: We Are One nighttime show at Disney’s Animal Kingdom last night. The show officially debuts to the public tonight, but we were on hand to capture the full show for you late last night!

Unfortunately, some of the technical issues still remain, namely the difficulty of creating enough water coverage to produce a viable screen to project on. The projections themselves are still tough to see, making the show a difficult one to give high marks given how projection-heavy it is. The musical score, while not as natural flowing as the original Rivers of Light score, will still get guests to dance a bit in their seat as familiar Disney tunes are woven into the old Rivers of Light soundtrack.

Overall, this is likely going to be considered a better version by the average guest thanks to the familiarity of the Disney soundtracks, the vibrant colors, user of Disney characters, and better pace despite some ongoing technical issues.

You should be fine because regular restaurant hours for Skipper's on a party night are until 7pm (vs 9pm on a non-party night). They will just make sure you leave the park directly after your reservation. I'm not sure if they just ask you to leave, or if a CM actually walks you out.

To be 100% certain I would ask on the MVMCP page, I bet they have better answers!
Okay I don't know how this ended up here lol.

Based on the videos I have seen I like the ending better but the storyline seems more disjointed now and the first half struggles with the large screen not being fully developed.

lol, before people get the wrong idea, when I say that I don't mean people are dumb I mean that I enjoyed the show for the "grown up" aspect of it...again, not saying you are not a grown up...agh!! Seriously not trying to offend anyone and I hope you understand my meaning.
I totally get your meaning . No worries.:)
We had a trip planned right when it was originally scheduled to premiere. If anyone recalls, that became a three ring circus of postponing , lack of info, incorrect info , further postponement .. you get the idea. It never did materialize for our trip which was a disappointment, but not the end of the world. By the time we ( and I imagine many others ) saw it on a later trip it couldn’t possibly live up to the circus like hoopla and expectations that had built up. It’s not s bad show. I didn’t love it but I did like it and would see it again . I’m not upset about the changes though.

Based on the videos I have seen I like the ending better but the storyline seems more disjointed now and the first half struggles with the large screen not being fully developed.
100% agree. I'm watching it live tonight but I did watch the video.
For me they messed up the show. If people said there was no story before, now it's less of a story and just feels they added the Disney stuff as a very weak after thought. Also they used less of the flower projections that were so cool from the original, when they came close to you and you could see the animals moving as the lotus moved
Also, but not a game changer for me, the show was always build to be in Asia, with Asian/Indian style music. Now with the incorporation of Lion King music it completely lost that. I do love LK. I'll watch it tonight and see if I feel differently

For me they messed up the show. If people said there was no story before, now it's less of a story and just feels they added the Disney stuff as a very weak after thought. Also they used less of the flower projections that were so cool from the original, when they came close to you and you could see the animals moving as the lotus moved
Also, but not a game changer for me, the show was always build to be in Asia, with Asian/Indian style music. Now with the incorporation of Lion King music it completely lost that. I do love LK. I'll watch it tonight and see if I feel differently
Yep I was hoping for a better integration. Interested to see what you think after tonight.

Watched the video. Completely agree. As you know I wasn't excited for it in the first place but I held out some hope that the Disney stuff would be incorporated tastefully but they're not.

Just... the music changes... was that necessary? And why did they have to change the finale? What a mess...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter