Changes coming to Rivers of Light coming Memorial Day weekend

yulilin3

DIS Veteran
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...debuts-this-summer-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/
Since its introduction more than two years ago, “Rivers of Light” has enchanted Disney’s Animal Kingdom guests with a nighttime pageant of beautifully illuminated lantern floats, grand theatrical imagery, a soaring musical score and innovative special effects. This summer, the next chapter of this spectacle will unfold with the debut of “Rivers of Light: We Are One.”

“Rivers of Light: We Are One” introduces additional, stunning imagery and familiar animal characters from Disneynature films, along with a colorful tapestry of classic moments from Disney animation, to express our connection with animals and the emotions and milestones we all share in our journey through the great circle of life.

The music of “Rivers of Light: We Are One” weaves together the original musical score and familiar Disney themes to create a powerful arrangement that inspires and carries us through moments of discovery, fun, friendship, fear, love and family.

“Rivers of Light: We Are One” comes to the Discovery River Amphitheater at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, beginning Memorial Day Weekend 2019.

Sigh.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I really liked Rivers of Light. I think because it feels like a unique creation divorced from the Disney character marketing integration machine. It's like if Cirque du Soleil did the Electrical Water Pageant.

I saw it in late 2017 and my understanding is that the live performers dramatically carrying around the lanterns are no longer part of the show anyway, but I could've watched those people all night.

I love the idea of incorporating some of the characters from the Disneynature documentaries, but incorporating the animated characters is a disappointment. It's understandable and predictable, but unfortunate.

There was just an episode of the Best and Worst of WDW where they talked about the Best Things in AK. The thing I love about AK that didn't make the list is that it feels a bit more adult than the other parks. Between changes to Rivers of Light and the dumbing down of the menu at Tiffins, it just bums me out a little that everything has to be lowest common denominator, but I guess that's what it means to run a business.

Sigh.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I really liked Rivers of Light. I think because it feels like a unique creation divorced from the Disney character marketing integration machine. It's like if Cirque du Soleil did the Electrical Water Pageant.

I saw it in late 2017 and my understanding is that the live performers dramatically carrying around the lanterns are no longer part of the show anyway, but I could've watched those people all night.

I love the idea of incorporating some of the characters from the Disneynature documentaries, but incorporating the animated characters is a disappointment. It's understandable and predictable, but unfortunate.

There was just an episode of the Best and Worst of WDW where they talked about the Best Things in AK. The thing I love about AK that didn't make the list is that it feels a bit more adult than the other parks. Between changes to Rivers of Light and the dumbing down of the menu at Tiffins, it just bums me out a little that everything has to be lowest common denominator, but I guess that's what it means to run a business.
I'm with you. We will probably see a lot of people happy but not everything at Disney needs to be "dumbed down". Don't get me wrong I love the animation classics but RoL was a real life show with a real life message. I understand why they are doing it though

I enjoyed ROL, but where you sit does alter the show. If you're in the standby areas on the sides, it can be hard to really see some of the visuals, so the experience is lessened. Perhaps this will change things up.

Now we might actually make time for it, so you can put me in the "dumb down" crowd. :)
lol, before people get the wrong idea, when I say that I don't mean people are dumb I mean that I enjoyed the show for the "grown up" aspect of it...again, not saying you are not a grown up...agh!! Seriously not trying to offend anyone and I hope you understand my meaning.

COUGH Synergy COUGH. I wasn't able to see rivers of light due to time constraints last year and honestly I'm not sure if this new descriptor wows me enough.

I saw it once, pretty early on, and never felt the need to see it again. I don't recall any live performers dramatically carrying around lanterns, was that added sometime after it started?

I saw it once, pretty early on, and never felt the need to see it again. I don't recall any live performers dramatically carrying around lanterns, was that added sometime after it started?
There were always live performers on the barges until about 6-8 months ago, the walking down the theater happened sporadically, it wasn't a consistent thing

I did the dining package with Tiffins and the performers were literally right in front of us in the reserved section for a good chunk of time. Maybe it was considered an extra perk for a while?

I'm hoping the new show is an improvement. I am in the camp where it clearly underwhelmed me. I was disappointed to see that the people in the show had been removed as they added another entertainment piece.
It was very artistic, but seemed very disjointed and I didn't see any clear theme or message to it as they claimed.
I was in the one and done. But will give the new show a chance.

The current show was one and done for us so I welcome the change. I'll go see it again once it's changed over and hope that it's improved....I can't see it being any worse.

Now we might actually make time for it, so you can put me in the "dumb down" crowd. :)
That’s us. We saw it once & I was so disappointed that we had rearranged plans to catch it. Sooo boring imo & it was so hot that night too. I’m all for sophistication & adult things, but that’s not why we go to wdw. It’s the opposite.

Unlike Illuminations, I doubt many will shed a tear for RoL as it is performed currently. We saw it once, back with the live performers walking down the rows of the theater and then entering the barges. It was nicely done - but it didn't WOW us. At the time we enjoyed the Tree of Life Awakenings more and hadn't planned on seeing RoL again unless we happened to be in the area and wanted to rest.

Here's hoping for a bit of WOW factor being added.

We have never experienced ROL, the most we got to see a night time show at AK is the show they had before ROL started (I think it had to do with the Jungle Book movie that had just come out) and thought it was okay. The next trip after that we went with some friends that didn't want to stick around to watch the show, even though we had purchased the dining package....I know my family should of stayed and let them leave, but this was their first time at WDW and we didn't want to leave them alone, especially since this was the first day of the trip. However, we are heading back to WDW again (just my family of 4 :dancer:) and we purchased the dining package again at Tusker House and are determined to watch it. I know it has changed since it was first introduced, but we are really excited to see what it is all about :goodvibes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!