Changes at Gatport Airwick?

Goofyish

DIS Veteran
The last time we flew frm Gatwick was in 2003. I'm sure I read that the way you get to the plane has been changed. We used the little train thingy to get to the gate - is that gone now?

Do you have to walk to the gate, or is there a bus?

Ah yes that has now gone and there is a long walk way with alot of conveyer belts :teeth: to the satellite terminal on the South. As for the North that has a fab new extention with the huge tall walkway. We have been on both this year :)
Claire ;)

Walkways?? Conveyor belts??? (Are these for the luggage - or the passengers??)
We havent flown from Gatwick since 2003 too and didnt know there were changes. So what do we have to do now in the South Terminal thats different?? :earseek: Dont like changes!!!!!

There were lots of corridors and a bus in December 2004!

we went in september and had to walk :) they have the little conveyer belts that you stand on.. We had to walk miles (well it felt like miles) in september to get to our gate.

Yes, in September we had to walk along the travelators - a VERY long way! I think VA are using different gates now.

No, the gate numbers are exactly the same, but the method of getting there is (as suggested) all new. The simple fact is you have to walk (and stand on the moving walkways) along a new interior corridor system that adds at least 5 minutes to the time you need to get to the gate. It DOES seem like a long way and something of a retrograde step, though.

Hi,
We also thought that the landside shopping/dining area (Gatwick Village) isn't as good as it used to be. Lots of shops have gone has as the food court area that overlooked the runways. Took us almost 15 minutes to walk to our gate (No. 35 I think)from the duty free area. Ironic really when you hear how much people complain about Orlando International and this trip we were in our car in less than an hour of landing.

Mick.

:smooth:

SimonV said:
No, the gate numbers are exactly the same, but the method of getting there is (as suggested) all new. The simple fact is you have to walk (and stand on the moving walkways) along a new interior corridor system that adds at least 5 minutes to the time you need to get to the gate. It DOES seem like a long way and something of a retrograde step, though.
Every time we have flown to Orlando in the past( 5 times always the same), we used a gate in a circular satellite, with shops in the middle. There were no individual final waiting rooms just a communal area for all the gates there. This time we went into an individual waiting room and it was NOT a circular area so it is definitely not the same gate we have used previously - no shops either!

Maybe they used a different gate each time we went!

In Oct 2004 when alot of work was going on we went form gate 19 which wasn't in the satellite area and was an individual waiting area no shops. This past June it was back to gate 33 and the satellite communal area with shops.
Claire ;)

Claire L said:
In Oct 2004 when alot of work was going on we went form gate 19 which wasn't in the satellite area and was an individual waiting area no shops. This past June it was back to gate 33 and the satellite communal area with shops.
Claire ;)
Well it wasn't from there in September when we went.

gilld said:
Well it wasn't from there in September when we went.

Perhaps they move the gates about sometimes depending on capacity at the airport?? I have heard that sometimes a particualr gate the aircraft was meant to go to was unavailable due to another aircraft not having left it on time? Not too sure really as we were quite surprised in Oct 2004 to not go from the satellite area.

Claire ;)

We had to walk on these moving walkways a couple of weeks ago it felt like we were never going to get to the gate which was number 32 .

tracy

Seems like you have to trek a fair way to get to the plane then! Must be getting all those legs ready for the walking they will be doing around the parks - what a nice thing for the airport to do for all us passengers!! ;)

Do Virgin fly from the North or the South terminal to MCO? We are used to BA which goes from the South I think but are going on Virgin next trip so wanted to check! :confused3

VA fly from South Terminal - I thought BA went from North?

gilld said:
VA fly from South Terminal - I thought BA went from North?

Yes BA do go from the North terminal.

Claire ;)

Clearly getting my north and south mixed up! I just need to keep remembering Virgins fly South to Florida ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter