Change in pricing for people over 9 ordering from kids menus

Haven't read through the entire thread but, for what it's worth, here are my thoughts.

Why would you feel you should have the ability to order from the childrens menu anyways? Because you can't eat an adult meal? Isn't that like saying you should be able to purchase a childrens ticket for entrance because you don't do any of the rides? Regardless of what your day looks like, if you are 10+ you pay adult price. It's their rule. So, if you are 10+ you should order from the adult menu, whether you eat it or not. It's their rule. They may have allowed it in the past however things change. Now they don't. They are closing that loophole.

Having said all that, it is nice that they do allow some form of childrens menu for everyone who requests it. If it costs more, either pay it or don't but don't complain about it. You're not under 10.
JMO

I have a friend who is a manager at a high end steak place in chicago. Steak is consistently one of the least profitable things on the menu. We were there not that long ago and the 8oz filet was $59. The creamed spinach and potatoes were $12 &$14 each. Martinis $18 each and a decent bottle was $80. Who wants to rate the most to least profitable parts of my meal?

Per my buddy, steak is dead last.
Any chance your friend works at Gibsons…

Haven't read through the entire thread but, for what it's worth, here are my thoughts.

Why would you feel you should have the ability to order from the childrens menu anyways? Because you can't eat an adult meal? Isn't that like saying you should be able to purchase a childrens ticket for entrance because you don't do any of the rides? Regardless of what your day looks like, if you are 10+ you pay adult price. It's their rule. So, if you are 10+ you should order from the adult menu, whether you eat it or not. It's their rule. They may have allowed it in the past however things change. Now they don't. They are closing that loophole.

Having said all that, it is nice that they do allow some form of childrens menu for everyone who requests it. If it costs more, either pay it or don't but don't complain about it. You're not under 10.
JMO
Isn't the point of the kids' menu that you pay less for less food? If that's true (and it certainly may not be), then the only reason Disney wouldn't let an adult order from that menu is because $$$. Didn't read this whole thread so maybe I'm missing something.

Isn't the point of the kids' menu that you pay less for less food? If that's true (and it certainly may not be), then the only reason Disney wouldn't let an adult order from that menu is because $$$. Didn't read this whole thread so maybe I'm missing something.
In essence, kid's meals are priced low enough to not make much of a profit. They are a loss leader for restaurants as it gets people to come in if their kid can eat on the cheap. So restaurants don't really want adults ordering food that is not going to make enough of a profit to make the business viable. Disney is a bit different then a restaurant in the real world, but they still have to support themselves.

Personally, I would go for half size portions even if the price isn't all that different. I understand why children's deals are for children only, but I wouldn't mind smaller offerings. :cake:

I would too. I grew up with the "clean your plate" mentality so it's hard for me to leave food on my plate. I feel so wasteful and it's just a habit. Then I just feel too full at times.

DD and I have been in the habit of sharing food now. It cuts down big time on waste, we aren't as full and we can try more options.

I know some folks have mentioned this in their responses, but I wanted to add my two cents:

I generally don't have an issue with adults ordering off the kids menu so long as it doesn't affect the tip you leave. I really feel for the servers in these situations. Tips are generally based on percentage of the bill, and I don't think a server deserves less of a tip because someone would like a smaller portion size. If you base your tip on the adult entrée price, then fine. Same for folks who split an entrée. You should tip as if you purchased two entrees. I get that not everyone wants a large portion or they want simpler options. That's fine. But take care of your servers if they take care of you.

Most of you seem to be missing the point. Regardless of what any individual deems "fair", the reality is they never batted an eye at anyone over 9 ordering a kids meal in the past. And this company is literally posting record revenue and profits in the theme parks. So there is no pressing need to make a change like this.
They don't bat an eye if you order a kid's meal on QS mobile order. So, if you want a kids meal, maybe do that instead.

TS at WDW is booked months out. There are plenty of people willing to pay full freight for their meal.

Once upon a time, Disney offered half-portions, for half-price plus $1. Sweet deal for those of us who eat smaller meals or have kids with venturesome palates.
But doing it that way just makes too much sense, and it would be easy and make everyone happy. It;s crazy for assuming all adults eat a lot and children do not. I don't know why this is even "an issue" at all. Just let people pay for what they can eat, whoever they are, but that's just common sense and it's in short supply at disney lately.

I would too. I grew up with the "clean your plate" mentality so it's hard for me to leave food on my plate. I feel so wasteful and it's just a habit. Then I just feel too full at times.

DD and I have been in the habit of sharing food now. It cuts down big time on waste, we aren't as full and we can try more options.
We've been able to research more and have found that the "clean your plate" mentality does more harm than good, increase of eating disorders was also found. You shouldn't leave a meal feeling too full out of compulsion to not leave anything on the plate.

Most of the time what I do if I'm not that hungry is look to order an app or a salad (and these days salads are not tiny things either so something to consider). Or look for something that is generally less filling. My husband and I share food too at Disney at times (mostly QS though). When I'm at Disney though it's hard for me to want too much of uber-filling food because I'm walking around a theme park going from place to place to place in the heat. I could see when it's those cooler months people's eating habits may favor more hearty-style meals.

TS at WDW is booked months out. There are plenty of people willing to pay full freight for their meal.
Not exactly true. Yes, some restaurants book very quickly after the reservations are opened up at 60 days. Others, like Skipper Canteen, which was where the OP had their experience, do not.

We've been able to research more and have found that the "clean your plate" mentality does more harm than good, increase of eating disorders was also found. You shouldn't leave a meal feeling too full out of compulsion to not leave anything on the plate.

Most of the time what I do if I'm not that hungry is look to order an app or a salad (and these days salads are not tiny things either so something to consider). Or look for something that is generally less filling. My husband and I share food too at Disney at times (mostly QS though). When I'm at Disney though it's hard for me to want too much of uber-filling food because I'm walking around a theme park going from place to place to place in the heat. I could see when it's those cooler months people's eating habits may favor more hearty-style meals.

Yup I’m aware. When I’m home I have no issues ordering what I want and taking home the leftovers so I don’t feel wasteful. But when on vacation I’m not lugging around to-go boxes so we just order less food and share. This way there isn’t much waste and I don’t feel obligated to finish it.

What's so funny Denise W? People are just stating that they can't eat adult menus for whatever reason, and that kids of 10 can't either. Some have medical problems that affect how much they eat too. Can't see what' so funny everytime someone says something like that.
I don't like that the laugh emoji is used a lot as an insult to the poster. Wish they have another one besides that laugh emoji.

She does this! She thinks everything is funny. Happy person I guess.

Just returned from a Universal trip. Was trying to figure out what to order at Mythos, which is one of their better table service restaurants. The place was full, and I asked our server if I could possibly order off the Childrens Menu; or if I should order an appetizer - and asked his recommendation. His response, "Whatever makes YOU happy." So I did end up ordering an appetizer, (similar price to a kids meal - and since I can eat only about 4 ounces at a time, I took over half of it back to the room for later). I can do that at Universal due to the proximity of the resort to dining (as compared to Disney) - but the really awesome part was the response - customer focused and pleasant.

Needless to say, I was happy to tip very well, and THAT is one of the many reasons we are now Universal Annual Passholders, with five trips scheduled this year.

What if you were in a party where the child ate a regular entree and the adult ordered from the kids menu? Would that balance out? I am sure you could always have the child order what you want and vice versa to be sure and trade plates, but I just wonder how that falls under the rules

Once upon a time, Disney offered half-portions, for half-price plus $1. Sweet deal for those of us who eat smaller meals or have kids with venturesome palates.

How long ago was that? I've been going to Disney for 25 years now, and I don't remember it.

In the mid to late 80s, it seems that a few restaurants had "Early Dining" special rates for people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter