Cell Phones during the cruise

I wouldn't think so, not sure how they could tell who they were going too...anyone else know?

Hi! If we have iCloud (At&t), is it automatically going to upload my images to the cloud and cause me to incur fees?

You could always disable this feature on your iPhone. Better yet, enable Airplane mode. Then you will not incur any data roaming fees.

LadyFan55 said:
Hi! If we have iCloud (At&t), is it automatically going to upload my images to the cloud and cause me to incur fees?

You can turn off iCloud for the duration of your trip. Just check your settings. :)

Here is what the lady at At&T international told me for IPHONE users:

Turn off your DATA ROAMING. She said it will automatically turn on when you leave the country(not sure if that is fact) but just check it. Also turn OFF Cellular DATA.

Even if you DO NOT USE your phone, you WILL still be sending/receiving DATA which will COST YOU BIG TIME. If its just sitting in your cabin..its costing you money, if its in your pocket, its costing you money, if you upload and backup to ICLOUD you photos you take each time..its costing you big time money...

All you have to do on an iPhone is go to settings >> general >> network and ensure that data roaming is switched off.

Once you've done that, you do not need to worry about any data charges. The only charges would be for calls or text messages.

You should know that AT&T does have a stupid rule that if you're roaming, your VMs are charged at the international rate. If you want to avoid that, go Into airplane mode.

I travel a lot internationally for work.

yes, all you have to do is turn off data roaming - i always have my iphone data roaming turned off as there is no need for it i the course of every day usage.

Turn off your DATA ROAMING. She said it will automatically turn on when you leave the country(not sure if that is fact) but just check it. Also turn OFF Cellular DATA.

Even if you DO NOT USE your phone, you WILL still be sending/receiving DATA which will COST YOU BIG TIME. If its just sitting in your cabin..its costing you money, if its in your pocket, its costing you money, if you upload and backup to ICLOUD you photos you take each time..its costing you big time money...

why would you turn off cellular data? that prevents you from using wifi.

you need to turn off data roaming.

disneyholic family said:
why would you turn off cellular data? that prevents you from using wifi.
Not on the iPhone it doesn't. If you disable Cellular data, you can still use wifi. Wifi has nothing to do with cellular data. In fact you can put your iPhone in airplane mode and still use wifi.

Didn't see this mentioned but we have Virgn mobile. We have unlimited text and messaging and 350 minutes.

So is our text and messaging still free or does that cellular at sea charge us but our company doesn't?

Also how about calls we don't have roaming charges. Will we be charged by cellular at sea?

How would they bill us? Is it on our cell phone bill?

No, it won't.

And to avoid accidental data/phone usage, you can just put your phone into "Airplane Mode" (on the iPhone it's Settings>Airplane Mode>On) and you turn off the phone/data part of your phone.

airplane more or turn off the mobile network in manage connections...

Didn't see this mentioned but we have Virgn mobile. We have unlimited text and messaging and 350 minutes.

So is our text and messaging still free or does that cellular at sea charge us but our company doesn't?

Also how about calls we don't have roaming charges. Will we be charged by cellular at sea?

As another person pointed out YOU WILL BE CHARGED for using cellular at sea's "product" it is like being in a foreign country and using there cellular service provider. Check there web site for all the answers, when you get home with this huge bill that you want to dispute... the carrier is not going to buy into "well they told me such and such on the Dis boards":rotfl2::rotfl2:

Airplane mode means no signal in, no signal out ... no charges. Otherwise, the charges are per minute for airtime, per text, and per kb downloaded. The reason you will be charged for iPhone voicemail is that your phone downloads the voicemail, hence using data. You will not be charged for someone leaving a voicemail as long as it is not downloaded to your phone while in a roaming area. In other words, if you check to see if you have messages, you are using data and will incur a fee. If you wait until you are in a US territory and not in a roaming area, there is no fee even if the message was saved while you were at sea.

You are not on virgin mobiles towers past 7 miles at sea...you will pay for every call or text you get..and won't like your phone bill when you get it either!

Virgin Mobile won't hit anything foreign since it's a no-roaming, all pre-paid service. It's what I have. Had my VM Android phone in Nassau and turned it on - no signal, and it wouldn't hardly hit the wifi, either. I wouldn't dare do that with Hubby's Verizon phone.

clarkshel said:
Not on the iPhone it doesn't. If you disable Cellular data, you can still use wifi. Wifi has nothing to do with cellular data. In fact you can put your iPhone in airplane mode and still use wifi.

Oops - you're right of course but I still don't understand why you have to do anything other than turn off data roaming

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Not true. If it's disabled, it remains disabled.

Not true. If data roaming is disabled, you WILL NOT SEND/RECEIVE any data. Essentially, your smart phone is a "dumb" phone. In other words, it can make calls, receive calls, send SMS, and receive SMS.

Airplane mode means no signal in, no signal out ... no charges. Otherwise, the charges are per minute for airtime, per text, and per kb downloaded. The reason you will be charged for iPhone voicemail is that your phone downloads the voicemail, hence using data. You will not be charged for someone leaving a voicemail as long as it is not downloaded to your phone while in a roaming area. In other words, if you check to see if you have messages, you are using data and will incur a fee. If you wait until you are in a US territory and not in a roaming area, there is no fee even if the message was saved while you were at sea.

For voicemails, you will receive an indicator on the icon that you have a VM (no number, just a red dot), but you will not be charged for data if you have data roaming turned off. You'll have to call to retrieve the VM or use WiFi (or temp turn on data...not recommended) to download the visual VM.

Once again: ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TURN OFF DATA ROAMING to avoid any data charges.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter