Cell Phones during the cruise

Just got back from Verizon. For the eastern cruise voice calls are $2.49 per minute on the ship and in St Maarten, $1.99 per minute in St Thomas and the Bahamas. They sell an international data plan of 100 MB for $25, you activate it before you leave and then deactivate it after the month. St Thomas has regular US data, so I have the unlimited plan on my iPhone, so I can use all of the data I want in St Thomas. And as others have aaid 5 cents to receive a text and 50 cents to send one. Hope this helps.

That's a terrific tip. Yah, that's the cruise we will be going on. Thanks for posting!

A tip I think I should mention for iPhone users is that you can turn on Airplane mode on the ship, which other posters have said, (since many of us use our phones as calendar, camera, alarm clock, watch, crutch, etc. and want to keep it on and with us on the ship.) but when you are in port, if you happen to stumble upon somewhere with free WiFi, you can switch on only the WiFi without disabling airplane mode.

This will allow you to surf the web, send iMessages (texts to other iPhone users), use FaceTime, post your pictures to facebook/twitter, email family and several other things.

Once you are done soaking up some free WiFi, simply switch the WiFi back off.

You have never touched the airplane mode switch, which means your phone never looked for a cellular signal, never tried to retrieve (regular) text messages or anything like that.

I just recently discovered that you could use WiFi while airplane mode is on, so I thought it would be nice to share, in case I wasn't the only one who didn't realize this.

THANK YOU! I will do this.
People you are on VACATION just soak it up and spend time with your family. :) That is my thought.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter