Cell Phone Cameras and recording at the gym...

BellsFam

DIS Veteran
I was reading about a cell phone video recording and want to know what people's opinions are on something that happened...

So at the gym I go to the owner and some of the members record other members for form, etc. I was doing my thing (squats sets) and look up and I'm behind the person being recorded,(aka I'm in the video)...

DH and I don't have FB, but I know this video will get posted there...

How would you feel? I'm skeeved out and don't ever want to go back and call the owner to complain... DH says "Let It Go"...

(The pun is intended here because DH is singing that song each time I bring this up!) :P

Last edited:
I was reading about a cell phone video recording and want to know what people's opinions are on something that happened...

So at the gym I go to the owner and some of the members record other members for form, etc. I was doing my thing (squats sets) and look up and I'm behind the person being recorded,(aka I'm in the video)...

How would you feel? I'm skeeved out and don't ever want to go back and call the owner to complain... DH says "Let It Go"...

(The pun is intended here because DH is singing that song each time I bring this up!) :P

Check your gym membership contract. At my current job, when a customer pays online, there is a thing they click (or sign if they pay in person) that says they are aware that while they are with us, we reserve the right to use their image for promotional materials (brochures, commercials, etc.).

Eh, I'd be a little skeeved out if the videos were posted on social media. I feel the same way when I run a race and the photos are posted online for everyone to see.

I would ask at the gym. At ours everyone but those who gave permission are blurred out. I'm actually in a few class videos in the back but no one would know it's me. I only know because the shirt I was wearing was very unique.

I am on your side I would not want anyone raping me for any reason

My husband's gym doesn't even let cellphones inside the building - or any kind of recording device.

Check your gym membership contract. At my current job, when a customer pays online, there is a thing they click (or sign if they pay in person) that says they are aware that while they are with us, we reserve the right to use their image for promotional materials (brochures, commercials, etc.).

The situation described is not the gym doing the recording, it's another patron. Different situation not covered in the contract language you cited.

I think the time to speak up was when it happened. A simple "I don't really want to be recorded and I don't put my workouts on social media so please make sure I don't end up on there if you post" would suffice. It doesn't have to come across rude, but direct... in that they know they need to be more careful about other gym members in the video.

If this is the type of gym with a reception area, you might mention it to the manager that you are not comfortable with people recording in the gym and would like to know if they have a policy on it. At the very least, it may get them to consider appropriate use of recording technology.

I definitely would not appreciate being part of someone social media video in the gym!

I think the time to speak up was when it happened. A simple "I don't really want to be recorded and I don't put my workouts on social media so please make sure I don't end up on there if you post" would suffice. It doesn't have to come across rude, but direct... in that they know they need to be more careful about other gym members in the video.

If this is the type of gym with a reception area, you might mention it to the manager that you are not comfortable with people recording in the gym and would like to know if they have a policy on it. At the very least, it may get them to consider appropriate use of recording technology.

I definitely would not appreciate being part of someone social media video in the gym!

Unfortunately, speaking up is liable to open the proverbial can of worms, including opening the gym up to liabilities for exposing their patrons to risks associated with unauthorized filming and the spillover consequences that may result.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter