Castaway Cay 5K Query

1926Moon

Mouseketeer
Hi all -
I am in the middle of a fitness program right now and am almost at the point where I can run 5k ::MinnieMo
We are on the December 2 Fantasy sailing, and I am relaying wanting to do the Castaway Cay 5K as my first 'official' 5k, which brings me to my question:

Is my husband, who will NOT be running, able to disembark with me and wait for me at the end?

Thanks! :stitch2:

Well, technically it's not "official" unless you're doing the Challenge after participating in a race on Marathon Weekend (maybe one or more of the half weekends but I'm not sure). Those are the only ones officially timed AND officially 3.1 miles. Otherwise it's a "fun run" where there is a clock but no official timing, and it's not a full 5K.

That said... It seems to vary if people are able to disembark with you. Sometimes it's allowed, other times it's not. BUT usually regular people are getting off at the same time or just after, so he could certainly make it to the "finish" to see you.

My husband and kids were able to disembark to and get to the finish line before I finished. If you don't have kids to worry about, just have him sign up for the race and disembark with you. He can walk part of the course if he wants and head back in time to see you finish.

Well, technically it's not "official" unless you're doing the Challenge after participating in a race on Marathon Weekend (maybe one or more of the half weekends but I'm not sure). Those are the only ones officially timed AND officially 3.1 miles. Otherwise it's a "fun run" where there is a clock but no official timing, and it's not a full 5K.

Yes, I realize that this is not 'official' hence why I put it in quotations ;)
I also realized it was possibly not a full 5k, given the others things I have read on it.
I am in no way prepared to run any of the big 'real' challenges, however, I can say this is big for me and I am very excited.
It is fun for me, and it gave me something to work towards.

My husband and kids were able to disembark to and get to the finish line before I finished. If you don't have kids to worry about, just have him sign up for the race and disembark with you. He can walk part of the course if he wants and head back in time to see you finish.

We do not have children, so I think we have a little bit more mobility/flexibility.
Thanks for the above, it is really helpful and just what I needed to hear :)

I also realized it was possibly not a full 5k, given the others things I have read on it.
I am in no way prepared to run any of the big 'real' challenges, however, I can say this is big for me and I am very excited.

It's cool. :) Just making sure you knew. :)

Have a blast.

1. He can sign up and just not do the entire 5k.
2. When we did the 5K last time, we actually got off the boat AFTER the general deboarding call. It's hit and miss. Another time, we were walking to the start and the trams of people were passing us to the start.
3. The 5K will take you a minimum of 10 minute walk to the start + 30 minutes. Plenty of time for him to get off the boat, catch a tram to the ending before you.

In any case, you will be fine! Have a good run!

Just got back... here are the "medals"
DSCN0376_zpshuxf25ge.jpg

OMG - it might very well work out that my first run medal is a Disney one!! This make me so happy :D

Thank you, Bonnie for posting that!

Dug didn't mean it in any sort of negative way. Many people don't know the info she told you, so it's good for people to know.

If you think it's actually the full 5k then when you do a measured event you'll be disappointed. The timing clock is something you have to pay attention to at start and finish etc.

Apart from the paid challenge one I did, where we got off the ship nearly in the night (we docked at midnight), I've never been in the first group to get into the Cay. The runner group I've been in has always just been in the normal crowds of people.

We've determined that we like it better when hubby and son sleep in while
I participate and I go back to the ship to shower, sunscreen, and swimsuit up then grab breakfast and get off the ship together.

This was my first "5K race". It was fun. And a great way to introduce yourself to running that distance (or almost 3.1) in an organized way. After that, I went on to run other races closer to home. While I don't race as much as I had been- one in college and one about to go-races can be expensive, I cherish that memory of that being my first race. And back then they didn't give the nice rubber medals- it was the cheap hard plastic Mickey heads! Congratulations and good luck on your first Castaway Cay 5K!

Thanks, ladyofthetramp :love:
I was very 'aware' that it is not a 'real' race, but I am still pretty stoked and it has given me something to focus on - definitely a goal to work towards. Three months ago I could not run more than 30 seconds, and this morning I ran 20 minutes steady for the first time in my life! Amazing how much of a motivator Disney swag is for me :earboy2:
I doubt I will ever convince my husband to come with me for a 'real' runDisney race, so this is the closest I am going to get princess:

We've determined that we like it better when hubby and son sleep in while
I participate and I go back to the ship to shower, sunscreen, and swimsuit up then grab breakfast and get off the ship together.

My husband is concerned about this cutting into Castaway time, one thing we are very much on the same page about is that we like to be on the island absolutely as long as possible. So I will be bringing my swimsuit and flipflops off the ship with me - and then whether he leaves a little bit after, or registers as a walker and waits for me, we will head straight to the snorkelling immediately afterwards :)

This was my first "5K race". It was fun. And a great way to introduce yourself to running that distance (or almost 3.1) in an organized way. After that, I went on to run other races closer to home. While I don't race as much as I had been- one in college and one about to go-races can be expensive, I cherish that memory of that being my first race. And back then they didn't give the nice rubber medals- it was the cheap hard plastic Mickey heads! Congratulations and good luck on your first Castaway Cay 5K!

We are cruising on Fantasy in February and I have been 'training' for the Castaway Cay 5K for the past two months, using the "Couch to 5K" app on my phone (was running this morning in fact) so when we arrive it will be my FIRST 5K at the age of 63. I did run some, maybe 20 years ago, when we lived in Michigan and I did run a 5 and 10K, but after the 10K never ran another step until now. I like to have a 'fitness' goal as I get older, to train to and complete. Last season I performed the same fitness test that our Wildfire fire fighters here at the Florida Forest Service must pass every year, though I'm not a fire fighter and am not required to participate. That test is to walk two miles in less than 30 minutes, carrying a 25 lb backpack. I completed that test in less than 28 minutes. I'm making good headway on the Couch to 5K program and am currently in week six of the eight week program, but it has taken me eight weeks to get this far (go figure). I'm really looking forward to the 5K on Castaway Cay and the completion medal that comes with it.

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

Tom - we are on the same track on the Couch-to-5k - I start week 6 on Thursday, I just did my last week 5 run this morning :D
Although, week 5 snuck up on me - it had me run 8 minute intervals and then right into a steady 20 minute run this morning! But I did it!! I am so excited that I ran 20 minutes straight :)

I think it's so great that this motivated you (and others!) into getting fit! I too have been exercising way more in anticipation of this event. Sadly, I'm still unable to run for more than a minute at a time, but I know Disney was a big part of me losing weight and being healthier this year.

I think it's so great that this motivated you (and others!) into getting fit! I too have been exercising way more in anticipation of this event. Sadly, I'm still unable to run for more than a minute at a time, but I know Disney was a big part of me losing weight and being healthier this year.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with run/walk or even just walk. Every Half and Full I did was run/walk with just walk at the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter