Cases rising or dropping by you?

It’s going to vary geographically. For example, MSU is putting kids in a 14 day quarantine.

I really think this is a terrible year to send kids to university. We should be through most of this by the next school year.

I'm not sure we will. MSU is a great example - they're telling all 34,000 students to quarantine for two week because of 340 confirmed cases. I don't imagine there's going to be a time in the next year where a population of 34,000 people from mostly low-exposure-risk locations will be able to come together without generating a few hundred new cases. That seems likely to take vaccination, and I'm reading widespread vaccination will take around 2 years after a vaccine is approved.

I’ve seen posts that have said that they don’t tell their employers where they are going when they take vacation. Not necessarily that they lie about where they have been. But on the other hand I could totally see people doing just that.

Yeah, I've seen a few of those too. And I would almost expect some degree of lying, with the way the rules keep changing from day to day. At various times during this pandemic, DH has been not allowed to travel more than 50 miles from work (or home, I guess, since he has a 55 mile commute), not allowed to leave the state, not subject to any restrictions, and not allowed to travel to a list of hotspot states that changes weekly. I'd be willing to wager he has coworkers who have simply not told anyone about traveling more than 50 miles to go to a beach or park, who didn't mention that their trip to the zoo meant Toledo rather than Detroit, or who aren't sharing their travel plans now for fear that the destination that was okay when they got the time off approved will be on the do-not-visit list by the time they go.

I’ve seen posts that have said that they don’t tell their employers where they are going when they take vacation. Not necessarily that they lie about where they have been. But on the other hand I could totally see people doing just that.
It is up to each individual company what their policy is. Right now with reopenings occurring it will also depend likely on the person's position. Working from home with no exposure to coworkers? In the office but required to wear masks? In the office but no masks required? And so on. Those can all impact a company's policy as it applies to a particular person.

My husband's company right now isn't interested in knowing where you go (and under normal circumstances what your do with your vacation time is up to you) and majority are still working from home; my husband is in the office but is virtually the only project there and masks are required everywhere you go except when you're at your desk. HR isn't involved in that kind of stuff regarding vacation planning. Back in March when it was going down it was a different story where you had online forms to fill out but that was only for business travel (which was heavily restricted anyways) or for leisure travel ONLY to very specified places outside of the U.S. (like Italy) as defined by the CDC back then when that was really being done. Lot has changed since then so I guess I wouldn't make a default assumption that a person is doing something wrong because they didn't disclose to their company where they were going. Or that they were being dishonest by not disclosing to their employer. It's the policy of the company and what the expectations are. If a poster says "I'm supposed to tell my employer and I didn't" yup different story than someone saying they didn't tell their employer where they were going.

The thread was about people feeling shamed for going on any vacation, so they just didn't tell people on social media. They didn't "lie".
When you say you're going away for a week or two its fairly standard for anyone from family/friends/employer/hairdressers etc to ask where they are going?

So at that point they either say and so DO tell, or they lie. Or you quickly change the subject I guess.

Either way, its pretty deceitful.

Right now I'm fairly sure all employers will want to know where you are going if you want a week off.

Right not I'm fairly sure all employers will want to know where you are going if you want a week off.
That is not the case. It used to be much more common back in march but no not ALL employers want to know

If my husband told his boss right now "I'm taking off next week" (assuming he actually got the time because that would be rare at this present moment with how busy work is, anywho) he'd be like great but why are you telling me this. His boss is busy with the details in building a $700+ million dollar power plant not the details in knowing where he is going.

There isn't the same policy that was in places months and months ago. Same for my mom's company in which she is still working from home and hasn't been into the office since March (and isn't expected to be in the office til next year). She took off last week from work. All she did was stay at home but no her company didn't ask "are you going somewhere? If so where?" nor did they have a policy in place where they wanted to know.
In my opinion no.
That's a yes/no question not an opinion-driven one with all due respect. You cannot say "they lie about where they are going on vacation. There was a whole long thread about it a while ago where people admitted to lying rather than admit they were going to a covid hotspot." and then spin it as "in your opinion". If you're talking about a different thread than the shaming one please let me know.

That is not the case. It used to be much more common back in march but no not ALL employers want to know

If my husband told his boss right now "I'm taking off next week" (assuming he actually got the time because that would be rare at this present moment with how busy work is, anywho) he'd be like great but why are you telling me this. His boss is busy with the details in building a $700+ million dollar power plant not the details in knowing where he is going.

There isn't the same policy that was in places months and months ago. Same for my mom's company in which she is still working from home and hasn't been into the office since March (and isn't expected to be in the office til next year). She took off last week from work. All she did was stay at home but no her company didn't ask "are you going somewhere? If so where?" nor did they have a policy in place where they wanted to know.
That's a yes/no question not an opinion-driven one with all due respect. You cannot say "they lie about where they are going on vacation. There was a whole long thread about it a while ago where people admitted to lying rather than admit they were going to a covid hotspot." and then spin it as "in your opinion". If you're talking about a different thread than the shaming one please let me know.
I cant imagine working for a manager who you don't engage in the slightest bit of casual conversation of why you want a few days off. Weird.

I cant imagine working for a manager who you don't engage in the slightest bit of casual conversation of why you want a few days off. Weird.
Many companies employ a don't ask don't tell. When I worked at the insurance company they could not deny time off no matter the reason so long as it was available. The time was PTO and it was written into the policy that it's not their business where you go. If you wanted to go shopping so be it. When I worked retail shopping under normal circumstances would have meant I couldn't have gotten the time off because it was deemed you were not available for a weak reason. Different policies for different companies.

Now for COVID if it's the policy at that time you should abide by it. You seem to object on a moral level, and I'm not here to debate that, but don't confuse moral level for actual dealings someone has with their company which is what you were doing. It's not up to US what someone's company policy is nor what their expectation or norm is. Your "engage in slight conversation stuff" was just your way to divert the conversation to something else instead of what was being discussed. That was easy to see through, please try again.

Many companies employ a don't ask don't tell. When I worked at the insurance company they could not deny time off no matter the reason so long as it was available. The time was PTO and it was written into the policy that it's not their business where you go. If you wanted to go shopping so be it. When I worked retail shopping under normal circumstances would have meant I couldn't have gotten the time off because it was deemed you were not available for a weak reason. Different policies for different companies.

Now for COVID if it's the policy at that time you should abide by it. You seem to object on a moral level, and I'm not here to debate that, but don't confuse moral level for actual dealings someone has with their company which is what you were doing. It's not up to US what someone's company policy is nor what their expectation or norm is. Your "engage in slight conversation stuff" was just your way to divert the conversation to something else instead of what was being discussed. That was easy to see through, please try again.
Nothing to "try again" because you're wrong about my intentions.

I'm just saying working for a manager who doesn't engage in any non work conversations with you would be weird. I couldn't work for someone like that.

Nothing to "try again" because you're wrong about my intentions.

I'm just saying working for a manager who doesn't engage in any non work conversations with you would be weird. I couldn't work for someone like that.
That wasn't the conversation though, was it? You side-stepped the actual conversation, latched on to something else and made a judgment on that. I give examples for two companies that were not interested in where you went and instead of seeing that you decide to go with the discussion of "that's weird" as a tangent because they weren't interested. You think they should care but we were discussing the statement you made that all employers would want to know.

I may have not have my coffee this morning but I'm still engaged enough here :) In any case done here because I'm not interested in that circle today. Have a good rest of your day!

That wasn't the conversation though, was it? You side-stepped the actual conversation, latched on to something else and made a judgment on that. I give examples for two companies that were not interested in where you went and instead of seeing that you decide to go with the discussion of "that's weird" as a tangent because they weren't interested. You think they should care but we were discussing the statement you made that all employers would want to know.

I may have not have my coffee this morning but I'm still engaged enough here :) In any case done here because I'm not interested in that circle today. Have a good rest of your day!

Wow bit argumentative. Perhaps you need more than one coffee.

And that wasn't the original post you typed was it! Did you forget the post notification emails the original version of your post?

Go get a coffee or three before I add you to my ignore list.

Cases seem to holding steady here, with new daily cases between 50-100 in the county. They were quite a bit higher in July, which was our peak so far. Numbers dropped back down after the bars were shut down, but now restaurants are going to be allowed 50% capacity so we'll see what changes.

The thread was about people feeling shamed for going on any vacation, so they just didn't tell people on social media. They didn't "lie".
I thought that was the thread the poster was talking about which is why I asked them which one they were talking about so I could make sure I was remembering correctly. That thread was NOT about lying.
You guys appear to have a better memory than me. I remember a member saying her family caught Covid at WDW. She told the companies that needed to know, but they chose to quarantine & not tell anyone else, because their family & friends had given them a hard time about choosing to go to Disney, during the pandemic. Do you remember what thread that post was in? Not that it really matters, but it would answer the question of a poster on this thread who hadn't heard of anyone getting Covid at WDW. I'm guessing her family isn't the only one that didn't admit to family, friends or tracers (if there was one) that they got Covid, while travelling.

I'm guessing her family isn't the only one that didn't admit to family, friends or tracers (if there was one) that they got Covid, while travelling.
Well TBH COVID is part of your medical history so I don't think anyone needs to feel like you need to admit to your family and friends so long as you're staying away from them and for sure don't go out and about in the public while you're still considered contagious. As far as where you got it if contact tracing has determined it was from travel there ya go but otherwise it's still fairly difficult to pinpoint in most cases. TBH I'm always amazed when you read about events in the news where they've been able to do that robust contact tracing and pinpoint it down to the best of their ability. That's why whenever I read the cluster summary for my state (which now they give the locations and the names of those places) I take that with the dose of reality that the bulk of the cases are still not from identifiable clusters.

Contact tracers are a different story. Should you be forthright with a contact tracer? IMO Yes because they aren't there to judge. But I can understand how privacy concerns arise and other such things that make one not feel as comfortable disclosing. I know how delicate it's been when it comes to the protests for a contact tracers job. I would imagine that travel is the same.
I remember a member saying her family caught Covid at WDW. She told the companies that needed to know, but they chose to quarantine
At least they quarantined. They told their company (which sounds like they were supposed to based on your comment of needed to know) and they chose to quarantine. Sounds like a good example to me. It doesn't bother me personally if they didn't disclose to their family and friends. They stayed away from folks.
not tell anyone else, because their family & friends had given them a hard time about choosing to go to Disney, during the pandemic.
That was the point of the shaming thread. The intent of that thread wasn't that people were lying (which is what got the conversation going). That thread was supposed to be a spot where people could largely go for a less judgmental tone. FWIW I remember all the talk when Irma was going on. People sought out certain threads where they didn't get the whole "you're taking away gas and food and hotel space from Floridians how dare you, you're awful, etc" despite the fact that most of those posters didn't have a clue what the other posters plans were.
Do you remember what thread that post was in? Not that it really matters, but it would answer the question of a poster on this thread who hadn't heard of anyone getting Covid at WDW.
I don't doubt that someone has gotten it at some point there. I don't doubt that someone has gotten it from a grocery store either. But to answer your question I don't remember reading someone getting it from WDW here. Admittedly most of my threads haven't been about WDW travel at the moment other than seeing in passing people mention they still have trips planned, went on trips (and from what they wrote it went well) or just discussing WDW COVID procedures in general. It's also possible I read it but have forgotten :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts