CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fine with cruises initially requiring vaccines. TBH I don't see how they could get started without requiring it in the beginning. There will be a giant spotlight on these companies and you know they'll be shut down again at the first sign of any issue. Why wouldn't they have this safeguard in place? I see it as just a business decision more than an ethical what's right/wrong decision. (Not trying to start a debate, just expressing an opinion.)

I was more interested to see what the mask policy would be and it looks like something I could live with. There weren't really any surprises, masking indoors except when eating or drinking is pretty much the standard now.

I do think we'll look more closely at a cruise this fall or winter. Light at the end of the tunnel maybe?

I plan to get vaccinated but I travel with my son and they aren't approved for his age yet. So if they don't do as RCL has in their summer starting cruises, we won't be able to cruise. I am sure many adults will be happy to cruise with no kids on board, but there will be a lot of families disappointed

Adding: looks like the NCL Joy will sail 7 day itineraries starting August 7 from Montego Bay and NCL Gem sailing 7 day itineraries starting August 15 from Punta Cana. Got an email - itineraries are live on the website....and they actually look pretty intriguing!

I plan to get vaccinated but I travel with my son and they aren't approved for his age yet. So if they don't do as RCL has in their summer starting cruises, we won't be able to cruise. I am sure many adults will be happy to cruise with no kids on board, but there will be a lot of families disappointed

I have a feeling DCL will have tough decisions to make.

I don‘t know how it works in the USA but here I believe the vaccination records aren’t placed under the same laws and public health gets priority over confidentiality (at least when it comes to vaccines).

I guess none of the people against this have health insurance, life insurance, went to a school who requested it, took travel insurance?

Just like them, the cruise lines request it but you’re the one granting (or not) access to the info. Then, the cruise lines are allowed to let you board... or not.

It all make complete sense when you look at the situation from their angle. In this context, it’s the easiest way to return to sailing ASAP and they need to sail to « survive »...

Now...

This divisiveness (which IMO has certain roots in the political context) should not have any impact on this pandemic, but unfortunately, it does and that’s a shame.

Things do not have to be turbulent.

Let’s all remember that this is just a moment in time. Chances are that in a year from now, all of this will be behind us. We’ll be back to « normal » (or a new normal). If there is one moment where we should all focus on the love of cruising —which may be the only thing some people have in common—, it’s now. I believe we have to make it work.
I’m confused by your second paragraph. There’s no vaccine requirement to get health and life insurance..
Yes it’s a momement a time, but big moments in time change the future. I don’t think cruising or anything else will return to how it was in the past.

And Carnival has officially cancelled to end of June (don't think anyone is surprised) as well as extending the PIF for July to end of May (and ability to cancel without penalties). I'm booked for December (Carnival and RCL) and have no idea if we are going to be able to go... I at least hope we'll be able to move without penalty if things aren't possible. No flights booked yet because I'm too worried and don't want to lose or tie up that money.

EDITED: *** Trying to go back to the main subject***

Honestly, cruising wasn't super safe before the pandemic so IMO it can only get better/safer in the future.

My "moment in time" quote refered to the divisiveness being (hopefully) temporary... Which is why we should all focus on what unites us: our love of cruises! :)

Last edited:
And Carnival has officially cancelled to end of June (don't think anyone is surprised) as well as extending the PIF for July to end of May (and ability to cancel without penalties). I'm booked for December (Carnival and RCL) and have no idea if we are going to be able to go... I at least hope we'll be able to move without penalty if things aren't possible. No flights booked yet because I'm too worried and don't want to lose or tie up that money.

I'm fairly confident that cruising will resume by fall (if not earlier).

That being said, I think everyone kinda knew that June was not going to happen.

Health and life insurance tend to require access to our medical records... Just saying that people who do not agree with sharing vaccination records probably don't have insurance either because those requireto share private information as well.

Honestly, cruising wasn't super safe before the pandemic so IMO it can only get better/safer in the future.

My "moment in time" quote refered to the divisiveness being (hopefully) temporary... Which is why we should all focus on what unites us: our love of cruises! :)
You have a completely different system. That being said sharing records with you health provider or insurance company is different than sharing health records wiith a private business.

Reminder to please not turn this thread into a political argument about the handling or requirement of records - political topics are not allowed. Thank you!
NCl has already stated they are going to require vaccines. I’m not sure how the topic can be avoided on a cruise forum. ...but Ok.

NCl has already stated they are going to require vaccines. I’m not sure how the topic can be avoided on a cruise forum. ...but Ok.

Sure, but saying "hey NCL is going to require vaccines starting this summer" is one thing and "I don‘t know how it works in the USA but here I believe the vaccination records aren’t placed under the same laws and public health gets priority over confidentiality (at least when it comes to vaccines)" is another. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty we have a vaccination specific thread, and/or the community forum. This thread is for Carnival vs. DCL (though its often strayed to other lines too).

Sure, but saying "hey NCL is going to require vaccines starting this summer" is one thing and "I don‘t know how it works in the USA but here I believe the vaccination records aren’t placed under the same laws and public health gets priority over confidentiality (at least when it comes to vaccines)" is another. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty we have a vaccination specific thread, and/or the community forum. This thread is for Carnival vs. DCL (though its often strayed to other lines too).

I'll remove all my comments on the subject to make sure no one replies to them.

I didn't mean to be political (at all) but more about public health (as I don't really see politics and public health as "going together").

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter