Carnival ship tilts, "like being on the Titanic"

The explanation is an electrical error--not terribly comforting. That is exactly the sort of thing they should find in pre-cruise mechanical checks. Sounds like cutting corners to me.

The author of this thread did not come up with the click bait title, it is a direct quote from a woman in the video. I'm sure the passengers were scared.

I know... I read a few articles about the incident and most report different quotes from the same (few) passengers who talked to the press.

I'm sure it was scary. I've seen videos of ships listing and it can be impressive.

That being said, they fixed it rapidly and have treated their guests the right way (flew back home those who wished to disembark with full refund, OBC for others, and they ship resumed to the cruise and went back home.) I'm on a FB group for this ship and most passengers seem to have moved on from that incident without any problems.

The explanation is an electrical error--not terribly comforting. That is exactly the sort of thing they should find in pre-cruise mechanical checks. Sounds like cutting corners to me.

I wouldn't go that far.

It's a vehicle and vehicles fail sometimes, no matter how hard we try to prevent problems and how careful we are.

That Titanic comparison is so stupid... (Clickbait!)

The Titanic split in two, went down and thousands died...

That cruiseship "list" for 1 or 2 minutes.

Since the Titanic sank & killed scores of souls, obviously with today's sensational media, comparing such an incident to the Titanic is certainly overblown.

Did you two even read the article? The headline said (and it was a quote from a passenger) "It was really like a scene from the Titanic."

We've all seen the movie. I doubt the passenger was claiming it was "just like" the Carnival ship had been split in two, or had hit an iceberg, any more than she was claiming that the ship was coal-fired. The obvious reference is to the scene in the movie where the main dining room is tilted to the degree that everything slid off the tables onto the floor, and by the pictures in the story, that's exactly what happened in this case. That scene, and not the ship sinking or people dying, is what came to my mind when she made that comment.

Looks like a dry dock for Sunshine was completed on Oct 21. The ship already ran into mechanical problems less than a week after it. And, then four days later, a severe list transpired.

I'm all for adventure, but I wouldn't wanna be on this ship for a while!

----------------------------------

In the last 10 days:

Oct 31 | Carnival Sunshine:
Daily Mail reports passengers on board the Carnival Sunshine embarking on a five-day cruise to Eastern Caribbean on Sunday were left terrified after the ship listed to one side just hours after setting sail from Florida, sending furniture sliding across the floor. Carnival has since issued an apology to its customers, explaining that a piece of equipment called a fin stabilizer was to blame for the listing. According to a letter sent by the captain of the ship t the passengers Monday, an electrical switchboard malfunction disrupted the fin stabilizers, which are not a safety feature but are designed to make the sea voyage smoother.

Oct 27 | Carnival Fantasy
Newsweek reports a couple from Florida have spoken of their shock after they found a hidden camera pointed at their bed. In an exclusive interview set to air on Monday’s episode of Inside Edition, the couple say they’ll never set foot on another Carnival Cruise ship again. Chris and Dana White from Pensacola were staying aboard the Carnival Fantasy for a three-day Caribbean cruise from Mobile, Alabama to Mexico last October when they noticed a recording device among TV wires in their room.

Oct 27 | Carnival Sunshine
Cruise Hive reports the ship was stuck in San Juan, Puerto Rico due to some kind of mechanical/technical issue. The ship didn’t depart until late last night which is way beyond the scheduled departure of 4:00 PM. Due to the issues, it has been decided that the ship will not call in Grand Turk on Friday, October 26 The ship only resumed service on October 21 after a major 2-week dry dock at the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport, Bahamas. As usual when it comes to a ship drydock maintenance was also completed. There will be some question marks to why the ship has an issue less than a week after dry dock.

Oct 23 | Carnival Victory
Cruise Law News reports Carnival Victory cruise ship which departed yesterday from the port of Miami. It was supposed to sail from Miami to Key West arriving this morning around 7:30 a.m., and then sailing on to Cozumel, Mexico before returning to Miami in October 26, 2018. However, yesterday Carnival stated that an unspecified “issue” is affecting the ship’s “maximum cruising speed.” A letter to the ship’s guests signed by the Master of the cruise ship stated that although technicians were doing the “necessary work,” the ship would operate on a modified itinerary.

Source: http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Looks like a dry dock for Sunshine was completed on Oct 21. The ship already ran into mechanical problems less than a week after it. And, then four days later, a severe list transpired.

Same here. I'm all for a fun adventure, but this doesn't sound fun or like the kind of adventure I'd want any part of. And full refunds for a cruise don't take into account the money that people spend before or after a cruise, flights and such. I know it's not just Carnival. Wasn't there a ship that was doing it's refurbishment while carrying passengers through the canal recently? And that scary one last year that went through the hurricane (there were scary videos of what that one was like). I think those were NCL and RC but I'm honestly not sure anymore. I know people get defensive when it's their favorite cruise line or hotel getting the bad press, but IMHO it's a good thing. If there is no bad press things won't improve.

Did you two even read the article? The headline said (and it was a quote from a passenger) "It was really like a scene from the Titanic."

We've all seen the movie. I doubt the passenger was claiming it was "just like" the Carnival ship had been split in two, or had hit an iceberg, any more than she was claiming that the ship was coal-fired. The obvious reference is to the scene in the movie where the main dining room is tilted to the degree that everything slid off the tables onto the floor, and by the pictures in the story, that's exactly what happened in this case. That scene, and not the ship sinking or people dying, is what came to my mind when she made that comment.

Yep. Read the articles. "hanging on for our life ... It was really like a scene from the Titanic" she said.

Saw the movie Titanic too. Watched documentaries about it. Visited the "official" exposition about it, with artifacts and replicas of the cabins (those insise cabins were SMALL).

Some people in life tend to be over dramatic. I stand by what I said: the Titanic comparison is stupid. Just like I wouldn't compare scary turbulences or plane malfunctions to movies presenting real life plane crashes.

----------------------------------

In the last 10 days:

Oct 31 | Carnival Sunshine:

Oct 27 | Carnival Fantasy

Oct 27 | Carnival Sunshine

Oct 23 | Carnival Victory

Source: http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

I'll be on the ship in a few months unless the rest of the family decides otherwise.

As far as I am concerned, I heard the ship was inspected by coast guards yesterday and it's all good. Not worried at all.

EDIT: The rest of the family has reviewed the info and since they are seniors, they would rather not take any chance... Because of that but also because our original plan B suddenly offered an incredible value, we changed plans.

Last edited:
The ship JUST left dry dock not long ago. But it is having some serious maintenance issues. If that continues they may have to return to Freeport.

To be fair, we had quite a momentous entry into Nassau on the Dream. We listed enough that water splashed out of the pool over our heads as we stood on our veranda. Reports were that lots of prep work in the kitchens had to be redone and that dishes had broken, etc. so it can happen... it was windy and pretty rough for a few days during our 4 nights - like curtains swaying during shows and difficult to walk... we learned quickly that we don’t get seasick!

To be fair, we had quite a momentous entry into Nassau on the Dream. We listed enough that water splashed out of the pool over our heads as we stood on our veranda. Reports were that lots of prep work in the kitchens had to be redone and that dishes had broken, etc. so it can happen... it was windy and pretty rough for a few days during our 4 nights - like curtains swaying during shows and difficult to walk... we learned quickly that we don’t get seasick!

Disney Dream?

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter