Capt. Marvins Grand Cayman

KyCruisinSusan

Proud DVC/AKV Owner
Ok, we're planning on doing the Stingray Snorkel with Capt. Marvins in December.

They have 2 different types of excursions:

1. The short excursion that goes to Stingray City sandbar where you swim with and feed the rays, and Snorkel at the incredible Barrier Reef or the Coral Gardens

or

2. The longer excursion that goes to Stingray City sandbar and BOTH the Barrier Reed AND Coral Gardens.

My question is who has done either of these trips and which one would you recommend. The longer excursion is only $14 more than the short excursion but is it worth it. We will be taking DD9 and DN10 on this excursion. Which do you think they would enjoy more? DN10 is the one who wants to swim with the rays. DD9 is a little frightened by the idea. She enjoyed feeding the stingrays at SeaWorld, but is a little leary of being in the water with some of those whopper sized rays.

We did the first, shorter excurison.

It was awesome.

It was so much more than we expected, but it also left plenty of time for time back in town for Shopping and an awesome lunch!

Marvins was great. :cool1:

Jim

We did the second one and loved it. My then 4 year old had a blast in the water with the stingrays and snorkling. She couldn't work the mouthpiece of the snorkle but she wore the mask and put her head down to see all the fish. It was well worth it!

We did the shorter tour and loved it. The amount of time seemed just about right and gave us plenty of time to still explore a little on our own around George Town.

We did the shorter one and it was just right. The excursion was great, but any longer would have been too long for us. The water was really choppy that day and as a result, the snorkeling was not that great. In spite of that, we had a really good time. I highly recommend Capt. Marvins.

We did the longer and here is why. One of our DD's had never snorkled before. The coral garden was a warm up for her so we all had a great time at the reef. At the garden she wouldn't let go of my hand (and she was 18 at the time :goodvibes )

You can't go wrong with Capt Marvin.

KyCruisinSusan said:
anybody have pics.

I don't have any stills handy, but they made a dVd of both the rays and the snorkeling that we bought and it is VERY cool.

It cost about $50, and we split it with another Dis family.

Jim

PS RACHMANS is a great store/restaurant right across from the Marvins office.

We ate a great lunch there, with the Magic in the background afterwards.

they have some of the best shopping on the island.

DO NOT buy any of the rum cakes before you go, as they will give everyone in your party a free one at marvins when you finish.

My husband and I did the longer trip when we honeymooned there and thought it was absolutely wonderful. We choose the Western last year just so we could experience Captain Marvin with our two children. Our children are 5 & 6 and they had a great time. We again did the longer tour. My daughter keeps on asking when we can go swimming with the stingrays again. For this reason, we would probably do another Western again over an Eastern in the future.

My kids spent the whole time in the water, but there were alot of children on the boat who did not go into the water. They seemed to be having a great time just being on the boat and watching everything.

I will try to post pictures from both trips over the weekend for you.

We did Capt. Marvins back in 2002 on DCL first Western cruise. The only thing I didn't like about it was they only had adult regular orange around-the-neck type of life vests for my twins who were 4 at the time. Their staff tied them around their waists. My kids weren't strong swimmers and I had to hold onto them and swim with them while snorkeling. But, I took them off of them when we were with the stingrays because the water was only chest deep there and DH and I were able to hold the kids with no problem. Does anyone know if they've bought better life vests since then. I would like to use them again because of the personalized service, but I didn't get much time to enjoy snorkeling last time because my kids were not safe with the life vests provided.

In November, we used Captain Marvins and they gave us the same life vests that are used on Castaway Cay. The around the neck, blow up, yellow snorkel vests. Hope that helps.

Tay N Evie's Mom said:
We did Capt. Marvins back in 2002 on DCL first Western cruise. The only thing I didn't like about it was they only had adult regular orange around-the-neck type of life vests for my twins who were 4 at the time. Their staff tied them around their waists. My kids weren't strong swimmers and I had to hold onto them and swim with them while snorkeling. But, I took them off of them when we were with the stingrays because the water was only chest deep there and DH and I were able to hold the kids with no problem. Does anyone know if they've bought better life vests since then. I would like to use them again because of the personalized service, but I didn't get much time to enjoy snorkeling last time because my kids were not safe with the life vests provided.

We went last year and they had small vests for my then 4 year old and also small goggles and snorkles that fit her fine...I also had on what she calls her "fat tummy suit" ...a speedo bathing suit with built in flotation just in case...she wore both out snorkling and only the fat tummy one with the stingrays since she could stand on her own in some of the places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter