Capital One? anyone use them?

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
I got an offer for 0% until Jan 2008 for a transfer.

Anyone have a Capital One card? Like them? Hate them? Do they credit your payment promptly?

I would not use it. I work for a mortgage broker and pull credit daily. they do not report your credit limit on the credit report so what your balance is will always be your highest balance and there is no way of showing that you are staying within the 30-50% of your credit limit which reflects your credit score.

I don't know about what Makdyn posted. But I do have a credit card with them and they've been fine. Online payments (they only way I pay any credit card) post the next buisness day. No telemarketing phone calls and barely a whisper of junk mail (unlike some of my other cards... :mad: ).

I've had a card with Capital One for 5 years or so.
I've never had a problem with them. I pay my bill online. It always credits the next day. They never get telemarketing calls from them.

I have no problem with them, but I usually pay in full each month.

I have a Capital One card. The account is probably 8 years old, and I have no complaints. I always pay online, and they have a little chart that shows exactly when your payment will be credited. Usually the next day if you pay before 3 PM. I recently called and asked them to stop charging an annual fee, and they did. (When I first got the card there was no annual fee if we used a certain long distance phone carrier, but that ended.)

The one card we had issues with was Direct Merchants. They kept raising the APR higher and higher even though we were paying more than the minimum on time each month. DH called and complained and they said something about needing to generate revenue? :confused3 We transferred the balance to another card and closed that one.

My husband got offers for a capital one card before we got married, and he accepted a no-annual fee credit card from them with a low limit to rebuild his bad credit. Although we have always paid on time and have never gone over the limit, they haven't raised his limit even a little. Also, the statements we receive always contain some sort of solicitation for some sort of goods (lately-car insurance) which is not a big deal but kind of annoying.

I have them and am looking to change. We've been piling up points on our Miles One card for about 5 or 6 years. Never really found a way to make the most of them.

Also, there have been a few times when I needed an increase on my credit limit. (Hold your fire! We NEVER carry a balance.) Well, Capital One won't give us one. They say our limit is our limit and that's the end of the discussion. And our credit score is not the reason. Trust me, it's not.

Other than those 2 nuisances, I really don't have complaints about Capital One. I just think I can do better elsewhere.

Makdyn said:
I would not use it. I work for a mortgage broker and pull credit daily. they do not report your credit limit on the credit report so what your balance is will always be your highest balance and there is no way of showing that you are staying within the 30-50% of your credit limit which reflects your credit score.

This is correct information. By not reporting your credit limit any balance is severely hurting your credit score. Oddly enough the credit bureaus were just sued in a class action for allowing capital one to report no credit limit. Why they did not sue crap1 is beyond me.

I've had a credit card account with them for 12 yrs now? It was my first credit card... I've maintained a perfect record with prompt payments and for the last 4 yrs, have managed to pay the balance in full each month. I am lucky enough to have locked in years ago on a 7.99% fixed rate :banana: with NO annual fee.... (they charge me $45 each year, but I call up and threaten to close my account and they remove it because of my longstanding relationship with them :rotfl: )

No complaints from me....

We also have Capital One and have no complaints.

Now Chase is another story :furious: I opened a Buy.com Chase card and got nothing but solicitation phone calls from them (sometimes 2x a day). I got mad at them the last time they called me and told them to stop calling...that I am not an idiot and understand that I can transfer balances. I also told them that if I had known how badly they were going to harass me I would never have opened an account. They seem to have heard me because I haven't received any phone calls lately.

No problems with Capital One. They promptly credit payments whether I pay online or mail a check.

I've had my Capital One card for 6 years. I've charged and payed off my card several times with no problems. They have also raised my credit limit A LOT since I opened an account with them. I went from a $500 limit to a current $5000 limit. :thumbsup2

picantel said:
This is correct information. By not reporting your credit limit any balance is severely hurting your credit score. Oddly enough the credit bureaus were just sued in a class action for allowing capital one to report no credit limit. Why they did not sue crap1 is beyond me.

I'll disagree with the comment that Cap1 does not report payments. I paid off my Cap1 card and they reported it properly & promptly.

I like Cap1's website as compared to other cards. It shows all transactions & allows you to schedule same-day payments without a surcharge.

Whatever you do, steer clear of Chase - I was tempted by them but read the fine print (i.e. We can do what ever we want to your apr whenever we feel like it for any reason.) there are numerous on-line stories to back up that they indeed have no soul.

twinklebug said:
I'll disagree with the comment that Cap1 does not report payments. I paid off my Cap1 card and they reported it properly & promptly.

They don't report credit limits.

I avoid Chase cards, their business practices are questionable.(IMHO)
They had me at 4 to 5% interest, but most folks get charged much higher.

I have a Capital One Card at a fixed rate of (GASP!) 2%(Thats correct TWO)
I have not had any problems with it so far. The 2% was for balance transfers, so I have not used it other than to transfer a balance from, of course, Chase. Once I finish paying it off I will be debt free YAHOO!

If you call a credit card company and tell them you have a credit offer for balance transfers at a lower rate most will meet the rate that you were offered if you stay with them.

We also have a Capital One card and no problems whatsoever. I also pay online and as long as you pay BEFORE 3:00 p.m. EST it will credit the same day except weekends. Your online receipt prints out the exact time the payment was accepted.

I just closed my CapitalOne account after many years. We had a high limit and no problems but I do not like the changes they have made in their Miles One program, so I took the cash I had coming and dropped the card. I choose my credit cards based on the rewards program because I don't carry balances. I now use Chase for 5% on gas, groceries, drug stores ($300 max. rewards per year) and Disney Visa for 1% on everything else.

I love my Capital One card. It carries a non-introductory fixed percentage rate (5.9%) for life (ya gotta love the offers that roll in when rates are low!) so if I ever need to carry a balance it's not painful.

If you pay your bills on time, you won't have a problem with Capital One. Payments online post the same day if paid BEFORE 3pm (verify time zone differences!) Once I made my online payment 17 minutes after the cut-off time and they posted a $35 late fee to my account, which they promptly removed when I called.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter