Cant sail?

My question would be how could they legitimately determine who can't get them and who are choosing not to get them? People can and will forge medical exemptions and the ADA laws tie their hands about asking for proof.

IDK, I think that is what they are "working on". But, if they are not sailing in the US, then they are not bound by US laws. They can ask for a doctor's note if they wanted to. Maybe they will have a form for your doctor to upload your medical exemptions, kind of like you have to show negative covid test to go to Hawaii. Or maybe they will just have you show a negative test result.

I said the same exact thing as Pete right on queue....

I feel for the OP but there are a lot of people affected by the pandemic, and a lot worse than not being able to board a cruise ship. In another 4 or 5 years it will be in the past, but no business worth anything is going to risk a potential PR nightmare ...so for now we just have to deal.

Please allow me expressed my opinion on the comment that was made on 3/23/21 on the dis unplugged
While talking about RC resuming sailing Deni was mentioning that RC made a comment about those that can not get a vaccine and looking into it and Pete chimed in "They can't sail"!
While I love pete and love his sassiness I couldn't disagree with him more. Without getting into the politics or health concerns with the vaccine or without vaccine, that comment to me was totally in sensitive.
There will be those who cannot receive this vaccine and to selfishly just bar them like they don't matter is disheartening. I realize Disney ,RC ect.. can do whatever they wish but lets not forget those who simply can not get the vaccine and have compassion and understanding that they now are left out to ever go on a cruise and experience the joy others can.
In a world of pushing for equality I don't see it !
P. S. if you are going to continue to wear a mask and social distance and get vaccinated, what does it matter if someone else isn't vaccinating ….if it works right?
You may agree or disagree ..but my wife CANNOT get the vaccine and I was planning to take her on her first Disney cruise next year and I looks as though those dreams are slowly fading into magical abyss . :(
Unfortunately, for adult only cruises where all passengers and crew are required to be vaccinated, she will probably be left out. But cruises that are allowing children and requiring the negative tests will probably allow her with the negative test and a doctor note saying she cannot get the vaccine. Reach out to your travel advisor.

Something to keep in mind cruise lines are not just bound by rules from the US or whatever country they sail from they also have to follow the rules of the countries that they are stopping in. Well, it seems easy to say well I'll just stay on the ship when it's in port, the country that the ship is docking in doesn't care if you get off the ship or not you are still a guest in their country and need to follow their rules.

Something to keep in mind cruise lines are not just bound by rules from the US or whatever country they sail from they also have to follow the rules of the countries that they are stopping in. Well, it seems easy to say well I'll just stay on the ship when it's in port, the country that the ship is docking in doesn't care if you get off the ship or not you are still a guest in their country and need to follow their rules.

Exactly, people seem to forget that cruising is international travel and even just the ship going to Castaway Cay and back to Port Canaveral is actually international, as Castaway Cay is leased from the Bahama Government.

All the arguments oh DCL cant do this or DCL can't do that are irrelevant. DCL are legally obligated to follow all rules, regulations and requirements of every country they visit, whether passengers get off the ship or not. If The Bahama Government require all tourists to be vaccinated, then DCL will require all passengers to be vaccinated.

People are going to have to realize that international restrictions, and requirements may be a lot more stricter than what their State or local authority require, and may be very different to what they do day to day at home.

I actually just watched that episode a bit ago. What I took from it is that that was his opinion on what they will do. He is entitled to his opinion. I believe that they will be working on exceptions for those who can not get the vaccine for medical reasons. But if it is because you just don't want to, then I imagine it will fall under the "too bad" clause.
As was this post my opinion

I’m not sure that I understand what your point is. The cruise lines are not going to risk the health or the PR nightmare by allowing non-inoculated people on the ship. You can’t depend on the fact that everybody else is inoculated but you weren’t. What if there are 200 people on that ship who are mot inoculated and they get each other sick? Do you really think that the cruise line wants to deal with that?
It's actually worse than this. In the vaccine trials there were still a small number of people who caught Covid and displayed mild symptoms. It's a reasonable assumption that they were also contagious.

The vaccines are highly effective and preventing severe symptoms (100% prevention of hospitalization in trials) but I wouldn't rely on others being vaccinated to keep unvaccinated, high risk adults safe at current case numbers. When Covid cases become much more rare it might work but right now it's a pretty high probability that people will be Covid positive on the ships.

I would hope that the requirement to vaccinate for Covid isn't a permanent thing...BUT, whether it is or isn't and whether you can't get the vaccine or just refuse it, going on a cruise now, while there is an active pandemic is absolutely nuts.

It’s a lot easier to say that when you have no biological issue that prevents you from complying with said rule. It’s made worse by there not being a substitute good and Ben worse when it’s yet another door closed in your face, regardless of the reason.

People who are perfectly healthy and choose not to get vaccinated are in control of their own destiny. People who’s bodies will fail or have serious medical damage if they inoculated are not in control of their choice.

No one likes to be left behind or discriminated against, which is what it feels like if you’re in the minority who cannot take the vaccine. There may options to come that will work for at least some segments of the affected population.

But consider wearing their shoes. Do you want to remain isolated for another year. Or more?
Well put and great point

It's actually worse than this. In the vaccine trials there were still a small number of people who caught Covid and displayed mild symptoms. It's a reasonable assumption that they were also contagious.

The vaccines are highly effective and preventing severe symptoms (100% prevention of hospitalization in trials) but I wouldn't rely on others being vaccinated to keep unvaccinated, high risk adults safe at current case numbers. When Covid cases become much more rare it might work but right now it's a pretty high probability that people will be Covid positive on the ships.
This exactly. I wonder why we have to keep explaining this central fact to people.

This is the same reason that you wont see me in WDW anytime in the near future. I get my second vaccine on Thursday, but IT ISN'T JUST ABOUT ME AND MY SAFETY. Perhaps, I care about others and while more than likely I would not suffer any ill effects from someone with the virus who gives it to me, I am more worried about me giving something to someone and they then give it to their parent, grandparent, ect and they die. Thats the crazy thing about COVID: you can be asymptomatic but give it to someone else that wont be and will have a bad case or even die.

But like I said before, I am not sure why this has to be constantly explained to people.

Last edited:
I get it-two folks in my family are immune-compromised, though fortunately my husband was able to get vaccinated as it’s not a live vaccine. But if I had such significant medical issues that I was unable to be vaccinated, I sure wouldn’t feel safe sailing. I get it. It’s so disappointing. I guess I think about it like there are a lot of folks who can’t do the trips they want for lots of reason-can’t get a vaccine, their country won’t let them travel-heck, people who want to do a Disney cruise more than anything but can’t afford their ridiculous prices.

I just listened to the show. I understand it is disheartening that you may not be able to cruise but it doesn't make Pete's comment wrong or insensitive. He is likely correct, at least for the near future.

Because it is personal. This change for you is temporary. It does take a rocket scientist to see the direction this covid vaccine is taking us and in the long run you will be in in Disneyland and others like my wife will be lucky to go in a grocery store

Without getting all political the vaccine passport or 'cordon sanitare' which could have been a good idea especially with a internationally standardized format, Before covid I travelled all over the world and a international vaccine passport i.e. which vaccines do I need to visit India for instance would have been darned useful in proving to Indian immigration that I had all the required vaccines for entry to India and for my health care provider to provide them along with any necessary waiting times. No not everyone would need one Business travellers and vacationers would have found it useful. But no one besides immigration control, public health and my healthcare provider need to see that data.

Unfortunately the power hungry and the Karen's made it a political football because they could.

Pete tells it like he sees it, and I'm sure he's not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I hope there is a cruise your wife will be able to go on, perhaps she can get tested beforehand.

Well, it is looking more and more like a vaccine, or exemption will be required to sail in the near future. I imagine that will change with time. I think places are going to be overly cautious so we don't have a repeat of this last year. Every time a tragedy of this magnitude happens, it changes things. Remember when there was no security at the airport? I think it makes sense for ships to expect people to be vaccinated when they start out. I know that I would not want to be stuck on a ship with an outbreak.

Who in their right mind wants to cruise during a pandemic, vaccinated or not. I have no desire to get on a boat I can't leave with thousands of strangers while we aren't even sure what the long term effectiveness of the vaccine is. I wouldn't take a free Cruise until we see that long term efficacy of the vaccines.

Unfortunately, for adult only cruises where all passengers and crew are required to be vaccinated, she will probably be left out. But cruises that are allowing children and requiring the negative tests will probably allow her with the negative test and a doctor note saying she cannot get the vaccine. Reach out to your travel advisor.

I think it's going to be like masks. If you cannot wear a mask for a medical reason, WDW doesn't allow a doctor's note. You just aren't allowed on property. I don't think the cruise ships will bend for anyone. jmo.

I was going to mention this as well. Must of the Caribbean is limiting visitors even now.

I don’t think anyone is saying that...it’s just the rules of the game for now. I’m sorry you don’t care for blunt honesty, but it is what it is.

The cruise lines were already called floatingPetri dishes prior to this pandemic and their not going to open themselves up to lawsuits.
Lawsuits? Regardless of what direction they take lawsuits with something like this is highly unlikely...we have been in this for a year and a half and I have yet heard of a lawsuit of covid when you cant even determine where you have got infected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!