Cant sail?

StargazerNova

Mouseketeer
Please allow me expressed my opinion on the comment that was made on 3/23/21 on the dis unplugged
While talking about RC resuming sailing Deni was mentioning that RC made a comment about those that can not get a vaccine and looking into it and Pete chimed in "They can't sail"!
While I love pete and love his sassiness I couldn't disagree with him more. Without getting into the politics or health concerns with the vaccine or without vaccine, that comment to me was totally in sensitive.
There will be those who cannot receive this vaccine and to selfishly just bar them like they don't matter is disheartening. I realize Disney ,RC ect.. can do whatever they wish but lets not forget those who simply can not get the vaccine and have compassion and understanding that they now are left out to ever go on a cruise and experience the joy others can.
In a world of pushing for equality I don't see it !
P. S. if you are going to continue to wear a mask and social distance and get vaccinated, what does it matter if someone else isn't vaccinating ….if it works right?
You may agree or disagree ..but my wife CANNOT get the vaccine and I was planning to take her on her first Disney cruise next year and I looks as though those dreams are slowly fading into magical abyss . :(

Please allow me expressed my opinion on the comment that was made on 3/23/21 on the dis unplugged
While talking about RC resuming sailing Deni was mentioning that RC made a comment about those that can not get a vaccine and looking into it and Pete chimed in "They can't sail"!
While I love pete and love his sassiness I couldn't disagree with him more. Without getting into the politics or health concerns with the vaccine or without vaccine, that comment to me was totally in sensitive.
There will be those who cannot receive this vaccine and to selfishly just bar them like they don't matter is disheartening. I realize Disney ,RC ect.. can do whatever they wish but lets not forget those who simply can not get the vaccine and have compassion and understanding that they now are left out to ever go on a cruise and experience the joy others can.
P. S. if you are going to continue to wear a mask and social distance and get vaccinated, what does it matter if someone else isn't vaccinating ….if it works right?
You may agree or disagree ..but my wife CANNOT get the vaccine and I was planning to take her on her first Disney cruise next year and I looks as though those dreams are slowly fading into magical abyss . :(

Very well articulated. I think there will be sailings without a vaccine record, but it is further out. Once the reality of a herd immunity is reached, I think the potential restriction(s) will be lifted. Of course there is nothing to say this is policy for all future cruises with RCL, NCLH, CCL or DCL. It's such a dynamic situation that projecting policies is challenging.

I look at Viking and their recent implementations on virus risk mitigation (on-board lab with daily saliva based testing, UV sanitation robots, UV and electrostatic filtration) to see a potential path forward; they will not require vaccinations for the initial three U.K. sailings.

I don't feel your DCL cruise is off the books, but perhaps pushed out a little bit.

Very well articulated. I think there will be sailings without a vaccine record, but it is further out. Once the reality of a herd immunity is reached, I think the potential restriction(s) will be lifted. Of course there is nothing to say this is policy for all future cruises with RCL, NCLH, CCL or DCL. It's such a dynamic situation that projecting policies is challenging.

I look at Viking and their recent implementations on virus risk mitigation (on-board lab with daily saliva based testing, UV sanitation robots, UV and electrostatic filtration) to see a potential path forward; they will not require vaccinations for the initial three U.K. sailings.

I don't feel your DCL cruise is off the books, but perhaps pushed out a little bit.
thank you for your kind comment and encouragement

I imagine liability is going to play into when unvaccinated people can cruise. There have already been lawsuits filed by people who contracted Covid on cruises right before the shutdown, when companies were not really aware of what they were dealing with. So, unfortunately, even though I understand that some people can’t get the vaccine for legitimate reasons, they may have to wait longer to cruise than those who are vaccinated. That is really the main reason I have decided to get the vaccine. I love to travel, and I feel sure there will be a lot of vaccine requirements for any type of international travel, including cruises.

I am sorry your wife cannot get the vaccine. I hope we, as a global community, can get enough people vaccinated to create herd immunity so people like her will be able to travel freely without worry.

why are you taking it so personal?

if those are the terms and conditions of attending a cruise for now then it is what it is. I’m sorry if you don’t care for bluntness, but those are the terms. You can not sail at the current time then.

I can’t go to Disneyland because I’m not a California resident but I’m not complaining about it.

Maybe Pete is guilty of mind to mouth, and not completely thinking through what he intended to say. But, I think his point was right on. Unfortunately there’s a small percentage of people that can’t get inoculated and the cruise lines can’t cater to that specific need right now.

why are you taking it so personal?

if those are the terms and conditions of attending a cruise for now then it is what it is. I’m sorry if you don’t care for bluntness, but those are the terms. You can not sail at the current time then.

I can’t go to Disneyland because I’m not a California resident but I’m not complaining about it.
Because it is personal. This change for you is temporary. It does take a rocket scientist to see the direction this covid vaccine is taking us and in the long run you will be in in Disneyland and others like my wife will be lucky to go in a grocery store

Maybe Pete is guilty of mind to mouth, and not completely thinking through what he intended to say. But, I think his point was right on. Unfortunately there’s a small percentage of people that can’t get inoculated and the cruise lines can’t cater to that specific need right now.
there is a large percent that "Won't" get inoculated either... but again if you are inoculated who cares if others aren't ? If it works

there is a large percent that "Won't" get inoculated either... but again if you are inoculated who cares if others aren't ? If it works

I’m not sure that I understand what your point is. The cruise lines are not going to risk the health or the PR nightmare by allowing non-inoculated people on the ship. You can’t depend on the fact that everybody else is inoculated but you weren’t. What if there are 200 people on that ship who are mot inoculated and they get each other sick? Do you really think that the cruise line wants to deal with that?

I’m not sure that I understand what your point is. The cruise lines are not going to risk the health or the PR nightmare by allowing non-inoculated people on the ship. You can’t depend on the fact that everybody else is inoculated but you weren’t. What if there are 200 people on that ship who are mot inoculated and they get each other sick? Do you really think that the cruise line wants to deal with that?
the point is nothing changes you still need to social distance you still need a mask. trying not to get political but if that works who cares who gets the shot.
I understand their ship there rules ,I just wish more would see the inconsistencies. If this vaccine was foolproof I see your point. inoculation or not people will get sick.

I did say you may not agree and that is fine, some have taken it in a different direction. Keep in mind some CAN NOT take the vaccine. To assume or accuse one of looking at this as a I am better and I should be treated better than you is to me more insensitive than my original statement that Pete made. There is a difference between "Can't and Won't"!

I did say you may not agree and that is fine, some have taken it in a different direction. Keep in mind some CAN NOT take the vaccine. To assume or accuse one of looking at this as a I am better and I should be treated better than you is to me more insensitive than my original statement that Pete made. There is a difference between "Can't and Won't"!

If a Vaccine is a requirement, then there is no difference in the Cruise lines sight. No judgement, just stating a fact. While I can empathize with your situation, I don't feel Pete's comments were insensitive. If everyone else wears a mask, why do I have to? (Rhetorical-- not to open a mask debate). As far as I know, none of the Vaccines are 100% effective. That's why everyone needs to follow the rules.

That's why everyone needs to follow the rules.

It’s a lot easier to say that when you have no biological issue that prevents you from complying with said rule. It’s made worse by there not being a substitute good and even worse when it’s yet another door closed in your face, regardless of the reason.

People who are perfectly healthy and choose not to get vaccinated are in control of their own destiny. People who’s bodies will fail or have serious medical damage if they are inoculated are not in control of their choice.

No one likes to be left behind or discriminated against, which is what it feels like if you’re in the minority who cannot take the vaccine. There may options to come that will work for at least some segments of the affected population.

But consider wearing their shoes. Do you want to remain isolated for another year. Or more?

Last edited:
Pete was blunt but truthful. For those unable (or unwilling) to get the vaccine, cruising might not be an option if a vaccine is required. My son has a disability so I understand the frustration but some thing he is just unable to participate in. It can be upsetting but we try to focus on what he can enjoy.

For those unable to get the vaccine it is frustrating but like Disney has made a line in the sand with masks (if for medical reasons you cannot wear them, you should reschedule your trip) I assume there will be a similar one with vaccines for cruising.

Last edited:
It’s a lot easier to say that when you have no biological issue that prevents you from complying with said rule. It’s made worse by there not being a substitute good and Ben worse when it’s yet another door closed in your face, regardless of the reason.

People who are perfectly healthy and choose not to get vaccinated are in control of their own destiny. People who’s bodies will fail or have serious medical damage if they inoculated are not in control of their choice.

No one likes to be left behind or discriminated against, which is what it feels like if you’re in the minority who cannot take the vaccine. There may options to come that will work for at least some segments of the affected population.

But consider wearing their shoes. Do you want to remain isolated for another year. Or more?

Not sure why we went from not being able to take a cruise to having to isolate for a year. Rules are placed for reasons. Not sure why you need to put yourself in another persons shoes to understand the rules. You can empathize with a person and still disagree that the rules should be bent for them.

I actually just watched that episode a bit ago. What I took from it is that that was his opinion on what they will do. He is entitled to his opinion. I believe that they will be working on exceptions for those who can not get the vaccine for medical reasons. But if it is because you just don't want to, then I imagine it will fall under the "too bad" clause.

I believe that they will be working on exceptions for those who can not get the vaccine for medical reasons. But if it is because you just don't want to, then I imagine it will fall under the "too bad" clause.

My question would be how could they legitimately determine who can't get them and who are choosing not to get them? People can and will forge medical exemptions and the ADA laws tie their hands about asking for proof.

I don’t think anyone is saying that...it’s just the rules of the game for now. I’m sorry you don’t care for blunt honesty, but it is what it is.

The cruise lines were already called floatingPetri dishes prior to this pandemic and their not going to open themselves up to lawsuits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter