Cant decide on a resort HELP!

AmyandMichael

Mouseketeer
Heading to WDW late Feb/early March 2011 and cant decide between any of the deluxe resorts. Would like to make a decision soon. I have read everything but havent gotten a lot of personal opinions.

Will be taking an almost 3yo so want a fun resort with things to do, convenience and just a fun atmosphere. I know some are more formal but still have that Disney charm, What do you suggest? What has the easiest transport to the parks?

What are your likes and dislikes?

Thanks so much for your opinions. We have done 5 Disney cruises but have never done a week at WDW!

With a little one, my vote would be any of the monorail resorts (or possibly WL, though you have a boat rather than the monorail). We have 4 year old twins and we waffled on our resort choice for months. No kidding... I changed resorts 5 times, finally ending up at the Poly. We've been to WDW with the kids before and the transportation is one of the worst parts when it comes to lugging small kids and all their "stuff" around. Now, the stuff we carry w/ them has been majorly scaled down since the last time we went with them (Nov 2008), but there still will be a double stroller, and that's a PITB to get on a bus. As we are flying this year and not renting a car, we were really worried about transportation. Once I saw that there was an opening at the Poly, I snagged it. It's a beautiful resort, but honestly, our main reason was for all the transportation options, especially to the MK and Epcot.

Problem with monorail resorts is that for a very small child they aren't as interesting. Contemporary has no theme (but it does have Chef Mickey's which helps), and a 3 year old would not think that either the Poly or the GF would be that interesting. I do have to admit that the monorail would be a definate plus for ease of transportation though. Because of the animals I feel strongly that a 3 year old would like the AKL the zero entrance pool would be nice for that age as well. However, it does leave you to taking buses. Some of the Deluxe Villas may be nice for that age. I've never seriously looked into them so I can speak to them very well. I do know that Beach Club and Boardwalk are both a short walk to Hollywood Studios and Epcot and from Epcot to MK you can take the Monorail. That leaves the bus for AK only.

I would suggest the Poly for many reasons. It has a zero entry Volcano Pool, plenty of activities around the pool area for children, a wonderful view of the Castle from the beach, easy transportation to the parks(monorail, ferry, launch to MK), short walk to TTC for monorail to Epcot and the grounds are lovely. Several nights during the week at 6:00 there is a torch lighting ceremony featuring the fire dancer from the Spirit of Aloha dinner show. The dining options are wonderful and the resort is very family friendly. Any questions, please ask.

With a 3 year old, I would weigh transportation heavily in your equasion. (Assuming you will be coming back for a mid day break, or may try to push her a bit past normal bedtime to see the fireworks)

I always recommend CR or Poly for my clients with young children and a nice budget! Yes, the theming is not the coolest for a 3 year old, but the monorail and ferries probably outweigh that in their little minds. (They don't know they are missing a huge sand bottom pool, animals on the savannah, or a gigantic Mr. Potato Head!) In fact, a less "exciting" resort may even be a better choice - it would be a nice break from the sensory overload of the parks!

If you plan on spending a lot of time at MK, especially if you will be coming and going at peak times I would give the edge to the CR. How nice is it knowing that no matter how long the line is for the monorail you can be "home" in the 10 minutes it takes to walk?

If you want to spend some more time at your resort and perhaps do some swimming, I would give the edge to the Poly.

HTH!

We like Port Orleans French Quarter (moderate) because it is smaller and easier to navigate getting to your room and theme pool. We have stayed there multiple times and enjoy the boat ride to Downtown Disney. Just an option if you need to watch your budget. We rode the buses to and from the parks, and never really had to wait long for them to pull up. Enjoy your time in WDW!:)

i would stay somewhere on the monorail. even though they are not as fun as some of the other resorts it will be more convient for you. they are a quicker trip to get to and from MK and Epcot this way if you need to go back to your room so you 3yo can take a nap it is easier. also on the monorail it will be easier with the stroller. this way the only time you need the buses will be for AK and HS.

I would recommend the Contemporary because one thing they have is the walkway to and from the Magic Kingdom, so with a little kid I am sure you would appreciate having that.

We spent a week at the Poly with our son when he was 18 months old and he loved it. In addition to the zero entry pool, there was a small play area with squirting fountains from the ground that he loved. Also, there is a nice beach there and he spent a fair amount of time hanging out and playing in the sand. I believe there is also a playground with a small jungle gym at the Poly, unless I am confusing it with some other resort. The use of the Monorail to get to MK or Epcot is also a big plus.

One thing to consider is the weather. I have never been to Disney in the late February or early March timeframe suggested by the original poster, however my suspicion is that the weather may not be entirely appropriate at that time for a three year old and water activities. If that is the case, I think the suggestion to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge is a good one: Lots of animal gazing to keep the little one busy if it is too chilly for him/her to swim.

Problem with monorail resorts is that for a very small child they aren't as interesting. Contemporary has no theme (but it does have Chef Mickey's which helps), and a 3 year old would not think that either the Poly or the GF would be that interesting.

But would a child know what they were missing? I know when my daughter was 3, any hotel was interesting simply because it was a hotel. We stayed at the GF when she was 5 and she found it fascinating - the beach, the monorail, the light parade on the water, the fireworks... I think your average 3 year old would love the Poly.

Of the resorts with monorail service, we liked the Polynesian the best. The reason being it was a short monorail ride to MK and a short walk to the transportation center. We never had to switch monorails like you would at the GF or Contemporary to get to Epcot. In addition, the T&TC is right there as well which is nice when taking buses. No getting on the monorail to GF or Contemporary, just walk to the Poly. I have stayed at GF as well and loved it, but the Poly's convenience with little ones was ideal IMHO.

I visited a few of the deluxe resorts and we stayed a week at WL. We loved it. Our 4 year old enjoyed the kiddie pool and the beach. They also had a small playground on the beach. We watched the water pageant parade and could see the fireworks in the distance from the room. We had a bunkbed which was just her size. I would also suggest the AKL because of the animals.

My choices with a 3 yr old would be a monorail resort or AKL.

On our upcoming trip we're staying for the first time at a monorail resort (BLT at the Contemporary) and I think we're going to be hooked. Planning on spending a lot of time in MK so the monorail or walking to MK will be a huge plus; not having to fold that bulky stroller.

We're then moving to AKV (where we've stayed on our last 2 trips). We love it there, so relaxing and the kids pool at Kidani is AMAZING. It's not just a little splash pad like at the other resorts, it's a huge playground/splash pad with a ton of stuff for kids to do. My DD liked it at 16 mos, at 22 mos, she's going to love it. I bet your 3 yr old would love it too. The bus rides are longer at AKL, but the waits for the buses are never long and they only share between the 2 houses, Jambo and Kidani, and they are very close, so it's not a real inconvenience. Plus, the animals! My DD didn't really notice them/care on our last trip, but I think she's going to go crazy for them this time. Plus, there are tons of activities each day, that are tied to Africa and different than you'll find at other resorts; you'll find a schedule in your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter