• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canon PowerShot S80

Shane

Tower of Terror Mad!
Hello

I need your help, I am thinking of buying the "Canon PowerShot S80" I have read reviews and they have been positive, im new to photography so I dont no much about cameras etc, so if you could give me some feedback on the camera if you have one that'll be great!

I am not going to be of any help to you except for a bump. I've looked on steves-digicams.com and it seems to be a good camera. I'm especially hoping it's fast and will take good fireworks shots.

I may even go in tomorrow to "look" at one. I may have to leave my debit card and money at home.;)

I have Powershot S70 and like it very much. The #1 thing I want in a camera is that must fit in my pocket. The S70 does this. I also like the 28mm lens as it takes great shots and there are many settings available for low-light, fast, etc.
The movie mode is marginal (10fps), but in a pinch they are acceptable. You can use a microdrive with these cameras, but I download to Laptop.
I also use Sve's Digicams for reference. http://www.steves-digicams.com
Good Luck

My brother recently bought the S80 and LOVES it. The one drawback is for some reason they removed the ability to shoot in RAW mode on the S80. Other than that he's shot some great pics.

I don't think shooting in RAW is a big deal to most P&S owners. Even most of the people I know, or have met, who use a DSLR are shooting at the fine JPEG setting.

How is the red eye in the S80-. I had the S60 . The pictures were great but I always had to fix them for red eye. Is the S80 any better?

I bought the S80 and I love it! It has lots of features/settings which is great. None of the pictures have had red eye yet. Also, this camera is definately faster than my old HP.

One night, I took a picture of my girls who were playing and supposed to be sleeping. The room was very dark. The only light source was my alarm clock's glowing screen. I set the dial to "Night Scene" and I couldn't even see the kids, I just blindly aimed and pressed the shutter. It looks like I took the picture in daylight!

Hi,

I'd expect that the Canon S80 should be a great camera... I have a Canon S40, which is a few years old, and it's been fully excellent, having shot 16,000+ pictures on it over the past four years. The S80 is probably 4 generations newer in this line, while retaining the same basic form, fit and function. It's a great size for taking on vacation, and for having good controls to let you get beyond simple point and shoot. Some of my pictures I've taken with it are available at:
http://disney.rocket9.net/

You may also want to see the extremely detailed review of the S80
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons80/ (Bottom line, they give it a "Highly Recomended").

Bernie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter