Canon 400D (Rebel Xti, Kiss X)

handicap18 said:
For years I was a Coke guy, then when I got to my present job I switched to Pepsi. But that might have something to do with the fact that the company I work for is owned by Pepsico. All we have around the building are Pepsi machines. But I don't have hundreds or even thousands of dollars in Coke merchandise/equipment that are now no longer compatable with Pepsi. :teeth:

I won't drink pepsi at all, I just can't stand the taste. If I go someplace that is a pepsi establishement, then I drink the by products, such as Mountain dew or Dr Pepper. My kids will drink either as they don't care, but for me I'd rather not drink anything. :)

I guess some folks feel that way about the ford chevy debate, or the canon/nikon debate

Master Mason said:
I won't drink pepsi at all, I just can't stand the taste. If I go someplace that is a pepsi establishement, then I drink the by products, such as Mountain dew or Dr Pepper. My kids will drink either as they don't care, but for me I'd rather not drink anything. :)

I guess some folks feel that way about the ford chevy debate, or the canon/nikon debate

When I drink Coke now, I find it too syrapy (If thats a word). I prefer to drink Coke from the fountain instead of from a bottle or can. Maybe the ice helps take some of the syrup taste away. That is when I drink Coke. If Coke products are sold, I'll usually go with Sprite.

Steve's Girl said:
Those of you that have a D50, how is the delay between shots?

Ok, I took out my D50.
With the pop-up flash in single shot mode, the flash went off as fast as I could press the shutter. In continuous mode and the pop-up it wasn't as fast. I actually had to keep pressing my finger rather than holding down the shutter button.

With the SB-600 in single shot mode, again the flash went off as fast as I could press the shutter. In continuous mode with the SB-600 I could hold the shutter down and the flash would go off every time. In JPEG fine I believe it takes about 2 frames per second, maybe slightly more, in continuous mode. I took 12 frames in continuous mode and the flash went off each time. I could have easily taken more than 12, but I thought that was plenty.

Hope this info helps.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Nikons are all terrible and the people that use them are evil trolls. Canon makes nothing but wonderful equipment for all of the virtuous people that use them.

handicap18 said:
I prefer to drink Coke from the fountain instead of from a bottle or can.

You should really put it into a cup or glass first.

MarkBarbieri said:
Oh, I forgot to mention that Nikons are all terrible and the people that use them are evil trolls. Canon makes nothing but wonderful equipment for all of the virtuous people that use them.

oh yeah!!!

Here are a few other things you can use a Canon dSLR for:

1 Stopping your car rolling backwards if the handbrake fails.
2 Can be used as an attractive tea caddy.
3 Knocking nails into timber.
4 Tied to the bumper of a newlyweds car (makes a sound like tin cans)
5 Spreading masonary filler into large cracks.
6 Attached to a chain and used as Ninja style weapon.

handicap18 said:
Ok, I took out my D50.
With the pop-up flash in single shot mode, the flash went off as fast as I could press the shutter. In continuous mode and the pop-up it wasn't as fast. I actually had to keep pressing my finger rather than holding down the shutter button.

With the SB-600 in single shot mode, again the flash went off as fast as I could press the shutter. In continuous mode with the SB-600 I could hold the shutter down and the flash would go off every time. In JPEG fine I believe it takes about 2 frames per second, maybe slightly more, in continuous mode. I took 12 frames in continuous mode and the flash went off each time. I could have easily taken more than 12, but I thought that was plenty.

Hope this info helps.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that! That is really the info. that matters to me. As to the Coke, Pepsi thing - I'm not touching that! I'll stick with coffee.

OK, I called all over this afternoon and found a store that had a D50 I could try. I did my little test. Camera in auto mode, pop-up flash, three successive shots. The first shot was immediate, but after that it took 3 seconds for the flash to recharge. So, I had to wait for the flash indicator light to come on before I could take the next picture. I know I can get around this with an external flash, but I take my camera with me a lot and likely won't always have a bag of stuff with me. Am I just expecting too much out of a consumer dSLR? Is there a setting I can change? I did turn the preview off, but that did not make a difference. I think the flash just requires that much time to recharge. When I tried the Xti and the D80, neither required a noticeable flash re-charge time between shots. It this because they are using newer technology?

Good grief, how the threads go off on tangents. Drink debates now!

I personally have not seen problems with my Pentax DL's ability to focus quickly right after taking a shot. I regularly take several shots in succession. Of course, there are always exceptions when, for one reason or another, it will slow down, but I believe this can happen to any camera (yes, any!) I do rarely use the flash, since IMHO that's kind of the point of a DSLR (I hate the flash "look"), but I've never, ever found myself waiting for the flash to charge.

It looks like the Canon and Nikon folks (along with the Coke and Pepsi folks - bleah, I don't drink anything carbonated, gross) are going to have a rumble at midnight. Once their knife fight is over, you'll only be left with Sony and Pentax and you can sample the glories of in-camera IS! :teeth:

If only Canon and Nikon existed... I dunno. Some of the stuff Canon does turns me off (ergonomics, getting rid of the second LCD on the XTi, a lot of design decisions, crummy kit lens, etc), some of the stuff Nikon does turns me off (no DoF preview on the entry-level camera, rotating lens on the kit lens, etc), and their clinging to in-lens IS turns me off. (If you want some comedy, go to a Canon or Nikon-only message board and look for someone suggesting that their brand should put IS in the body. It's instant civil war!) I think that I would have to go with a Nikon if I could only choose one or the other. But I dunno. All the DSLRs will produce lovely photos. (I got some nice very-low-noise 1600ISO photos at Howe Caverns yesterday, anyone who assumes that the Pentaxes produce high levels of noise at 1600 hasn't used one.) So if you take IS out of the equation, it comes down to ergonomics and the lens line-up.

I was rather perturbed by a Canon ad in the new Road & Track, for the XTi. At the bottom, it has a list of a few of the big features - "over 50 lenses available" (is that supposed to be an impressive number?), "image stabilization"... WHAT? C'mon, Canon. That's very disingenious and I think even the most hardcore Canon fans would have to agree. The XTi certainly does not have that. Certain lenses do - but not the camera itself, and chances are that most buyers will never have a lens with IS.

My "XT" just kept firing the flash as soon as the shutter button was pushed. I did this for about 15 shots. I then put it in "P" mode and switched to continuous shooting and it fired off 15 shots at about 2 per second and the pop up flash fired everytime. Hope this helps.

Groucho said:
I was rather perturbed by a Canon ad in the new Road & Track, for the XTi. At the bottom, it has a list of a few of the big features - "image stabilization"... WHAT? C'mon, Canon.

That *is * pretty poor of Canon, I guess that's what happens when it's left to marketing. I do agree with Canon and Nikon that in-lens IS is better *when a long lens is used*. For many people that may not be an issue.

I wouldn't go with the D50 because of the lack of DOF preview. I don't use it often but when you do need it there is no substitute. I don't care for the adjustment buttons on the Rebels, so I have all Canon D series cameras (DW has a Rebel XT and loves it, but she doesn't change settings too often).

Flash recycling time depends greatly on the distance to the subject, if it is short the flash will recycle almost instantly, if it is long the flash will take the maximum time.

If you buy a Nikon, go to Home Depot and buy a nice light gray to paint your lenses, so people will think you are a pro! ;) And don't forget the red stripe!

boBQuincy said:
If you buy a Nikon, go to Home Depot and buy a nice light gray to paint your lenses, so people will think you are a pro! ;) And don't forget the red stripe!
The Nikon Gray section is right next to the Canon White section in the "Lens-disguise department". :thumbsup2

I have heard that Nikon is coming out with the D60 which may be an option if you want to save a few bucks on the body. I really don't have any details on it though. FWIW, I have a D50 with the 18-200 VR and have been very happy.

Chris

jonestavern said:
I have heard that Nikon is coming out with the D60 which may be an option if you want to save a few bucks on the body. I really don't have any details on it though. FWIW, I have a D50 with the 18-200 VR and have been very happy.

Chris

According to reports on nikonians a French photo site and Ken Rockewell have both put out info with pictures of the new Nikon that is to be the D40. Its a stepped down version of the D50. Suggested price is $499 for the body. It doesn't have as many options as the D50 and doesn't work with all of Nikon's lenses. It might be what a lot of P&S users may like to upgrade to. They could go with the 18-55 kit lens and have the 55-200 and be covered from 18-200 in 2 lenses or for some extra money go with the 18-135mm and stick with just that. This 1 lens will give them a 7.5x zoom at 27-202mm film range. Plus you get the benefits of the better/bigger digital sensor, faster startup time, minimal to no shutter lag, and high ISO performance with out having to learn all the manual and shutter and aperture priority stuff at a more affordable price. This new camera is probably more likely to compete with Pentax and their *ist range camera. Though the D40 might not have as many features as that camera does.

We'll know soon enough though.

Hey!

I've never posted to the photography board, but I've been lurking for a couple of days trying to get some help.

Here is my question. I just bought a Canon Rebel XTi with the kit lens. I can tell that I will soon want a better zoom for the kid's stuff at school and sports, but will I probably be satisfied with the kit for our Disney trip next week?

My shots on vacation are typical - kids with characters, scenery shots, the Castle, etc. I'm not going for the cool up-close shots of stuff. Just the basics - but I'd like them to turn out nice. I don't mind going ahead and purchasing the lens, but I'd rather not have to haul around a whole bunch of equipment everyday.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance -

Nicolemarie :sunny:

Hauling equipment seems to be included in a dslr package. You can get one lens and stick with it. Butif yo uwanted to "settle" for whatever shot the current lens gives you you probably would have stuck with a P&S.
I consider my travel pack kind of small.
Rebel XT
canon 50mm f1.8
canon 28-135 IS
canon 70-300 IS
three batts
5 gigs memory
lowepro 170(?) waterproof shoulder/belt case

Mikeeee

Oh, and Welcome to the PhotoBoard!

You need to give us a hint of how much you want to spend on your lens and if you are looking for one lens to do it all or if you are willing to have at least a couple to do the job.

Thanks for the quick responses!

I'd like to keep the lens around $300, and I'd like to be able to get some good zoom for programs at school and kids being on the soccer/baseball field, etc.

But do I need good zoom for "amateur" tourist-type shots at Disney? Can I get nice pics of the Castle and Wishes and Illuminations with the kit lens or will I be disappointed?

Will the kit lens frustrate me to the point that I'll wish I had gone ahead and gotten a better lens for our trip?

Hope this helps... :confused3

nicolemarie said:
Thanks for the quick responses!

I'd like to keep the lens around $300, and I'd like to be able to get some good zoom for programs at school and kids being on the soccer/baseball field, etc.

But do I need good zoom for "amateur" tourist-type shots at Disney? Can I get nice pics of the Castle and Wishes and Illuminations with the kit lens or will I be disappointed?

Will the kit lens frustrate me to the point that I'll wish I had gone ahead and gotten a better lens for our trip?

Hope this helps... :confused3

It is hard to get good zoom cheaply. The cheaper they are the higher the f number (it seems). Which means longer shutter when the scene is not very bright. Like fireworks or any night/indoor shot.

Not a zoom but the canon 50mm f1.8 is smokin' fast especialy for the price of around $70-80 US.

here is an spectromagic shot with that lens:
62440896-M.jpg

this is from the back row of the stunt show stadium at about 30mm wide. look how tiny the people are:
61829403-M.jpg

this is full zoom with the $600 70-300 IS: (uncropped)
61829433-M.jpg

mikeeee

whenever I'm looking for info on lenses and other camera related stuff, I go to dpchallenge.com they have a community where there is tons of information in the forums. at the top where it says forums, scroll down to hardware and software. plus they have photo contests and you can see which camera/lens took which picture.

also, I am amazed at all the blue ribbon winners of photos taken with the kit lens against photos taken with expensive lenses.

if you look at the top where it says equipment, you can see all the different lenses and winners photos taken with that lens and even where to buy the lens and get the best prices. :thumbsup2

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter