Canon 400D (Rebel Xti, Kiss X)

The Canon 28-135IS doesn't cover the same range as the Sigma 18-125, but it's a much better lens optically. You've got to decide whether you want a better usable range or better pictures.

As for the 7x-300 range lenses, I'd definitely stay away from the old 75-300 series. They were reasonably good values, but optically they were very inferior. When they were the only reasonalby priced options in that range, they made some sense. Today, I can't see why anyone would buy one.

I just bought the new Canon Rebel XTI camera and I was wondering about the memory card it uses and which bag should I buy and any info fellow disers might have about this camera. I don't know anything about this camera but I have been researching and they say it is a great camera. Are they right?? I need it for night shots and inside sports shots of my kids and this Jan I want to use it to take good firework pictures. With my old Kodak the pictures in the dark are horrible. Thanks in advance for the info. :cheer2:

I own a canon rebel xt also. I bought a toshiba 4gb card on ebay and haven't had any problems. As for a bag, I bought a tamrac photo backpack. It's really convenient for traveling and very comfortable. I think regarding lowlight pictures and such, it's more the lens and its aperture than the camera.

I think regarding lowlight pictures and such, it's more the lens and its aperture than the camera.

It's both. Having a camera with good quality at high ISO levels is important. It is also important to have lenses with wide apertures. Both help.

Inside sports are really tough. You need high shutter speeds to stop the action, but there often isn't much light. That means high ISO and wide apertures. The problem with wide apertures is that you get shallow depth-of-field, which makes focusing precision important.

Try your current lenses at indoor sports. If they come up wanting, you may want to consider some wide aperture lenses. The problem with these is that they are very expensive.

As for storage, you want a Compact Flash (aka CF) card. I'd recommend that you buy a 2 gig card to start with. You can get them for about $40 at NewEgg.

A DSLR is capable of taking much better pictures than a P&S. It doesn't automatically do so. A DSLR requires much more from the photographer to get the most out of it. You will want to learn about f-stop numbers, shutter speeds, and some type of photo editing software. You camera can take really, really lousy fireworks shots or great fireworks shots. Which it does is up to you now.

If this is your first SLR camera, I highly suggest getting Bryan Petterson's book ""Understanding Exposure".

The reason why is because with your old point and shoot you could do just that, point it and then shoot. But with an SLR you have to have at least a basic understanding of how shutter speed, aperture and ISO work together. If you don't have that understanding, even with a better camera like the XTi, your pictures can actually turn out worse. For example if you have it set to a low ISO and small aperture (large f#) you may get a 1 second shutter speed and wonder why your pictures are so blurry. But if you really understand exposure, you will know how to set it to get really sharp action shots or nice portraits with the background all blurred out.

If you are willing to put forth the effort you can get shots like you never have before. But if that sounds like more than you wanted to sign up for, then a high end point and shoot, like the Canon S3 IS might be a better choice.

The other thing to consider is that while the flash and lens that comes with the XTi is much better than most point and shoots, they are both at the bottom end of what is available for that camera. If you want to get the most out of your camera, getting different lenses and a better flash will make a huge difference but is not required.

But back to your original question. I would start out by getting two 1gb high speed memory cards. I like these.

The bag you get should depend on how many accessories you plan on getting. I got a nice/simpe tamrac bag when I first got my XT. But then I added three lenses and a flash and I had to add a backpack style bag.

2 lenses to consider for your night shots and especially indoor sports are the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens and also the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Telephoto Lens. With the f/1.8 combined with ISO 1600 on the XTi you should easily be able acheive very good shutter speeds for the indoor sports, providing lighting is good. Which one to get is going to depend on how big the gym will be and where you can get a seat. If you can get right on the side lines then the 50mm very well could suffice. With the crop factor your going to get an 80mm film equilivent, then you can also use post processing for additional cropping.

The beauty of the 50mm lens is that it is only about $80 and a GREAT bargain. Very sharp lens. The 85mm is a bit over $300.

As for night time shots, that is going to depend a lot on what your subject is. If the subject is stationary then you can use any lens with the camera mounted on a tripod. Also think about investing in the remote shutter release for about $20. This will help reduce/eliminate camera shake from your finger pressing the shutter button.

In other night time situations, the f/1.8 will definately help, but it again depends on the subject and how much light is actually available.

The only downside to the very low f-stop numbers is an extremely shallow depth of field. If you're taking sports photos, most likely only one or two players (or even parts of them) will be in focus.

Still, it's great if you understand that and expect it.

Thank you so much for all of your help on my new camera. I am excited to learn how to use it but also a little overwhelmed. I am going to buy the book and invest in a good memory card and look at lenses. We go to WDW in Jan so hopefully I have enough time to know how to somewhat use my new camera. Again thanks and I am sure I will have many future questions for you guys. :cheer2:

I have been trying to decide on a new camera for months. I have narrowed it down to the Nikon D80 or the Canon Xti. I have agonized for so long over this, my husband won't even talk about it anymore, so I needed to solicit some advice.

Here is what I am thinking - with the Canon, I would get the 28 - 135 IS lens. With the Nikon, I would get the 18 - 200 VR lens. The Canon set-up is definitely less expensive (which is appealing). But I would probably want to add some lenses since the lens I am considering is not a wide angle and doesn't have quite the reach I would like. The Nikon set-up is definitely quite a bit more expensive (hence husband will not even comment on that one!) But I think the 18 - 200 lens would be a pretty versatile all around lens and I would probably not buy another lens for quite some time. (well, maybe a 50mm prime). I did consider the Pentax and Sony with in-camera IS, but did not care for either of the cameras for various reasons.

Any opinions on this? Am I missing something here?

Isn't the D80 the Nikon equivalent to the Canon 30D and the XTi the Canon equivalent to the Nikon D50? I'm a bit surprised that you'd narrow it down to two cameras in two different tiers, but then I don't know either camera all that well.

I have never seen, touch, or used a Nikon 18-200 lens. It may be wonderful. In my experience, however, zooms with extreme ranges tend to be an optical compromise. They usually suffer from a host of problems like softness, barrel distortion, and purple fringing, especially at the extremes. For many people, the optical compromise is a worthwhile tradeoff for the incredible range and freedom from lens changes. I just want you to make sure that you are aware that a tradeoff of quality for range may be required.

The biggest part of your decision is whether you wish to join the Nikon or the Canon camps. It is likely that once you've purchased some lenses, you will not be willing to switch when you need a new camera body. While you'll find religious partisans in both camps, the reality is that they are both very, very good. The biggest differences are in the user interfaces of the cameras and in the extremely specialized niche gear.

I would recommend that you go with which ever camera you find more comfortable and intuitive. The only other thing that would sway me is if you have friends that belong in one camp or the other. It's nice to be able to borrow and trade equipment.

You really can't go wrong with either camera/setup. As Mark mentioned its going to come down to other factors (such as other lenses and flash options) and whether you want to be a Canon person or a Nikon person. Ya know, Ford/Chevy, Honda/Toyota, Coke/Pepsi, etc...

I think Mark is also right in that the D80 is more comparable with the 30D not the XTi other than megapixels.

Personally I'm a Nikon guy so thats where I stand. As for the Nkkor 18-200mm, it is an outstanding lens and worth the $300+ dollars more than the Sigma and Tamron versions of the same focal length. It does have small issues at the 18 end andn 200 end, but overall it is a very sharp lens and very fast focusing. I've briefly used a D80 and it is a GREAT camera. I love the 2 1/2" LCD and also the bigger view finder (more like a view vinder on a film SLR). Buttons and dials are laid out well, though the menu is huge, but once you get used to it its easy to get around. I also find its slightly larger size over the XT and XTi to have a better fit for me.

If you haven't already, go to a place that sells them both and hold them, try them out, get a feel for how they fit in your hands. That is the ultimate test.

MarkBarbieri said:
Isn't the D80 the Nikon equivalent to the Canon 30D and the XTi the Canon equivalent to the Nikon D50? I'm a bit surprised that you'd narrow it down to two cameras in two different tiers, but then I don't know either camera all that well.

You are correct. They are in somewhat different camps. This has added to my confusion. I like the Xti because I found it to be very fast (not a good technical term. But with the flash on, it took successive pictures with minimal delay). As did the D80. But I keep asking myself is the D80 too much camera for me. Sure, it does everything but make breakfast. Is this something I will grow into, or am I just paying for a lot of features that I will never utilize? Perhaps the D50 would be something I should look at. It was on my initial list quite some time ago, but I crossed it off due to the fact that it is only 6mp. I am really intrigued with the 18 - 200 VR lens since I don't see myself carrying around a huge bag with multiple lenses. Paired with a good lense the D50 may be enough for me. The most important things for me are image quality and no delay between shots even when using the flash. This delay is how I have ruled out several other DSLR cameras.

Thank you for your replies.

IMHO, you should always buy a little "too much camera", because unless you plan to buy a new camera every year or two, you will need the camera to have features you will need as your skills increase.

I have a D50, I initially was convinced that I was going to get a D70s. I've been an SLR user for close to 20 years. After reading reviews and consumer opinions I went with the D50 because I felt I didn't need the extra few bells and whistles. It takes outstanding pictures, is excellent at higher ISO's and is a great fit for me.

I'm not completely sure on what you mean by taking a number of continuous pictures with the flash and no delay between them. What kind of subject are you refering to and in what type of situation? After having the D50 for about 6 months I bought the SB-600 flash. I hardly ever use the pop-up flash now. The SB-600 is so much more powerful and you also have the option of using it as a bounce and also adding a diffuser.

I've been very happy with my D50 set up which includes the Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S DX lens, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF zoom lens, 50mm f/1.8 AF lens, and SB-600 external flash (I also have 2 different diffusers to use with it). I have pre-ordered the new Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR zoom lens to replace my old Quantaray. That lens is currently on delay and is as of now, expected to be shipped at the beginning of December. I've been using slr's long enough that changing lenses isn't as big of a deal to me. That doesn't mean I don't covet that 18-200mm Nikon lens though. That bad boy is sweeeet.

Good luck with your shopping.

Here is what I mean by delay between shots, when you take a picture with the flash, how long is the delay before you can get the next shot. I have been conducting my own non-scientific study in the camera stores with various models. I put the camera in auto mode, use the flash, focus on a certain point, snap the picture and then count the seconds until the camera will take the next picture. I was very intrigued with the Pentax, but ruled it out based on this little study. It took 1-2 seconds between the first and second shot and at least 4 seconds between the second and third shot. I also found the Pentax AF to be a little slow. I have small kids and get very frustrated when I have to wait for the flash to recharge before I can take another shot. I miss so many great shots! (ie, blowing out candles on their birthday cake, etc.) This is the primary reason I want a dSLR. I have a 35mm SLR and love the pictures I get. I also have a digital P & S. I like the digital format, but am so frustrated with missing shots that I have decided to upgrade. My 35mm is a Canon, but I only have a kit lens so I will be upgrading lenses and do not need to stay with Canon for that reason.

Those of you that have a D50, how is the delay between shots?

handicap18 said:
You really can't go wrong with either camera/setup. As Mark mentioned its going to come down to other factors (such as other lenses and flash options) and whether you want to be a Canon person or a Nikon person. Ya know, Ford/Chevy, Honda/Toyota, Coke/Pepsi, etc...

You were going good with the comparisons until you got to the coke pepsi one. In that case one of them is nasty :)

Costco currently has the D80 with 2 lenses and a bag going for around $1200. I don't know what lenses they are as I just looked at it briefly in passing, but thought it looked like a pretty good deal.

Both are fine cameras, go play with them some more and decide which feels better to you. Which is more intuitive to you.

Steve's Girl said:
Here is what I mean by delay between shots, when you take a picture with the flash, how long is the delay before you can get the next shot. I have been conducting my own non-scientific study in the camera stores with various models. I put the camera in auto mode, use the flash, focus on a certain point, snap the picture and then count the seconds until the camera will take the next picture. I was very intrigued with the Pentax, but ruled it out based on this little study. It took 1-2 seconds between the first and second shot and at least 4 seconds between the second and third shot. I also found the Pentax AF to be a little slow. I have small kids and get very frustrated when I have to wait for the flash to recharge before I can take another shot. I miss so many great shots! (ie, blowing out candles on their birthday cake, etc.) This is the primary reason I want a dSLR. I have a 35mm SLR and love the pictures I get. I also have a digital P & S. I like the digital format, but am so frustrated with missing shots that I have decided to upgrade. My 35mm is a Canon, but I only have a kit lens so I will be upgrading lenses and do not need to stay with Canon for that reason.

Those of you that have a D50, how is the delay between shots?

I thought that is what you might mean. But just wanted to be sure. I don't recall ever having an issue in this regard. I will take a few test shots when I get a chance. IIRC, with the SB-600 I can hit the fire button on the back of the flash and have the flash go off with no delay between flashes quite a few times in a row.

I'll test it with the SB-600 and with the pop-up flash.

Master Mason said:
You were going good with the comparisons until you got to the coke pepsi one. In that case one of them is nasty :)

For years I was a Coke guy, then when I got to my present job I switched to Pepsi. But that might have something to do with the fact that the company I work for is owned by Pepsico. All we have around the building are Pepsi machines. But I don't have hundreds or even thousands of dollars in Coke merchandise/equipment that are now no longer compatable with Pepsi. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter