Can anyone give me any advice as far as getting a hold of someone to cancel a booking? Over the course of the last week or so and countless tries, I have been on hold in total for probably 4 hours. It's making me insane. I'm quickly approaching my 30 day window andI do not know how to cancel other than calling the number and getting nowhere. I have tried the direct line on the website. I have tried going thru Disneyworld to transfer me to DLP, then the UK person transfers me to the french one (my package was booked thru the french site) and then I sit and wait forever until I give up. I am currently going on 30 minutes waiting on the direct line, paying international call rates, after having already waited an hour going thru DW transferring the call. If anyone has had success with a cancellation, please, please, please I would love to know how you did it!