• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canceling our trip for WDW marathon weekend because of Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not canceling, but skipping the parks and canceling indoor dining reservations. I'm vaccinated and boosted, but want to try to prevent getting COVID in any case since it could likely result in my son being quarantined from school/sports/activities.

Just as a caveat to what I'm about to say, I'm not doing marathon weekend, but I'm going to Disneyland about a week later, so similar travel issues.

I’m actually LESS apprehensive about traveling now than I was in say....August of 2020 when we did an anniversary trip because we know so much more about COVID now, there are known effective treatments, etc.

This is basically how I feel. I know what to do to give myself the best chance of not getting COVID and I know that there are treatments out there for if I do get it (and I'm fortunate to be at a relatively low risk for adverse effects and I'm able to isolate from my high risk friends and family). At this point, I am willing to take more risks than I was a year ago.

That said ... it's still out there and it's scary, so I 100% respect people who choose to cancel their plans. Especially because Omicron is still relatively new and we don't know everything about it. I do hope runDisney offers a refund or "switch to virtual" option for people who feel more comfortable cancelling ... although its runDisney, so I doubt it.

If I was running, I'd probably run in a mask, but I also did all of my runs in a mask until I was double vaxxed so I'm used to it. Most people probably won't make that choice, but I wouldn't be surprised to see many people masking in the pre- and post-race areas.

If I was running, I'd probably run in a mask, but I also did all of my runs in a mask until I was double vaxxed so I'm used to it. Most people probably won't make that choice, but I wouldn't be surprised to see many people masking in the pre- and post-race areas.

I might just end up running in a mask. In September 2020 I ran the virtual Boston Marathon, masked all the way (just setting it aside while actively hydrating or fueling). It's going to be a game day decision for me, depending on how crowded the course is. I'll definitely be masked in the corrals.

No, we're not planning on cancelling. I'm vaccinated x2 and boosted, as is my mom, and my kids (5 and 7) have had both shots as well. Pennsylvania dropped its mask mandate, but I still make my kids wear their masks in school (well, I tell them to wear them and that I WILL go to Disney without them if they get COVID :P).

I'm trying to find that balance to living my life and staying safe. Even though there is so many people, much of Disney is outside, which makes me feel better.

We had already cancelled our October trip due to Delta.

I'm not canceling. The pandemic has thrown my professional life into a constant state of upheaval with deadlines moving multiple times and thus causing all the slower months of the year to be crazy and I really need to make sure I get a true break from work.

I am fully vaccinated with my booster scheduled for this week. I will mask up at Disney World when required and/or if I don't feel safe.

I might just end up running in a mask. In September 2020 I ran the virtual Boston Marathon, masked all the way (just setting it aside while actively hydrating or fueling). It's going to be a game day decision for me, depending on how crowded the course is. I'll definitely be masked in the corrals.
My experience with masking while running back when WDW required masks on property at all times was that I needed to carry at least 2 for training 4-5 miles and change to a fresh one along the way. There is nothing worse that trying to take a deep breath and sucking in sweat instead of oxygen! Is there a type of mask out there that doesn’t hold water?

My experience with masking while running back when WDW required masks on property at all times was that I needed to carry at least 2 for training 4-5 miles and change to a fresh one along the way. There is nothing worse that trying to take a deep breath and sucking in sweat instead of oxygen! Is there a type of mask out there that doesn’t hold water?
There are a lot of cloth masks made for sports; I did virtual Boston in one from Zensah. But honestly given what the masks are there to do, they all tend to hold water; if they don't, they're probably not too effective at preventing germs from spreading. So for the marathon I'm just bringing a bunch of medical masks so I can toss them as needed.

We were there for Wine and Dine and stayed masked in the corrals and until we could spread out on the course. We also stayed masked most of the time even outdoors in Disney because a lot of areas were crowded (and we had a cruise 2 weeks later so we were super worried about testing positive).
This is the first time bringing the kids since COVID. We have a Treehouse Villa for most of the trip (first night theme park view BLT for NYE), so if we feel uncomfortable we can just make it a resort trip and let the kids enjoy the pool and such while we grill and hang out. My boys are running the 10k with me. We will mask up in the corrals same as my husband and I did for Wine and Dine. I'll carry extra disposable masks in a ziploc bag in case we need to put them on at any part of the course (park bathrooms), and for the bus ride back.
ETA: I feel bad for international travelers because I have to imagine it is a very difficult decision to make right now. We have canceled 3 family trips since COVID began (because as foster parents we couldn't bring our bonus son). Canceling all those times sucked. We currently do not have any bonus kids, so we figure we will just suck it up and go and just adjust our expectations while there. Because we never know when we will have another child and be under the restrictions of DCF again.

Not cancelling, but will be playing it VERY safe. Resort is paid in full and nonrefundable, so I'm going, no matter what. No indoor dining. KN95 or N95 mask at all times outside of my room. Most meals I'll make and eat at my resort (I'll have a kitchen.) If I eat out, it'll be outdoors, well away from others. Mask on in corrals and probably much of the races: anywhere I can't be comfortably away from other people's breath. Very little socializing, and only outdoors and masked. Limiting my indoor time to short rides, quick stops in stores. No public transportation.

I'm at high risk for complications form respiratory illness, so honestly, this is how I've lived my life the past 2 years. I've been to WDW multiple times during that time, and this is just my new normal now. I'm only 100 miles from WDW, so I don't have to worry about the travel part, which makes it all easier.

Not cancelling, but will be playing it VERY safe. Resort is paid in full and nonrefundable, so I'm going, no matter what. No indoor dining. KN95 or N95 mask at all times outside of my room. Most meals I'll make and eat at my resort (I'll have a kitchen.) If I eat out, it'll be outdoors, well away from others. Mask on in corrals and probably much of the races: anywhere I can't be comfortably away from other people's breath. Very little socializing, and only outdoors and masked. Limiting my indoor time to short rides, quick stops in stores. No public transportation.

I'm at high risk for complications form respiratory illness, so honestly, this is how I've lived my life the past 2 years. I've been to WDW multiple times during that time, and this is just my new normal now. I'm only 100 miles from WDW, so I don't have to worry about the travel part, which makes it all easier.
Thank you for sharing this. My plans are very similar, so it feels good to know I’m not alone!

not cancelling - I already traveled to Europe (France in September) and in US (NY in November, Chicago in December) so I've experienced the restrictions and had to deal with tests and even with crowds. We have to get back to normal because we are now reaching 2 year of this so I hope things calm down and the variants are truly less dangerous than the previous ones, but I can't continue to be locked up for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Not canceling. I have Covid right now. I’m vaccinated and had my booster a week before I tested positive so I guess it wasn’t effective yet. Main changes for me will be taking it as easy as possible with the races and spending less time in the parks so I can rest. I’m symptom free as of right now so hopefully that continues.

If you run with a belt or pockets, consider adding a cloth handkerchief to your gear.

My nose is the 1st place I sweat, and in any humid running conditions it drives me bonkers. (Inhaling my own sweat is not at all helpful when trying to stay ahead of the balloon ladies!) Regular Kleenex type tissues just stick to small amount of sunscreen that has managed to persist.

I haven’t yet tried to run in a mask, but we masked a lot during our trip for the 50th anniversary, and the handkerchief was really helpful. I would pat away the sweat before putting my mask to go indoors, and again when I went back outside.

It’s probably still a good idea to have a few masks at your disposal. I bought silicone mask holders that can be clipped on with a carabiner clip to something. They do have the issue of you have to remove the clip to open them, but they keep the mask clean. Ziplock bags will be lighter though.

Thanks for mentioning this- I need to practice running with a mask!

I like the Under Armour masks. We've had to wear masks at the gym (again) for almost a month now and they work well for me even for long periods of time.

a friend who was coming to spectate just cancelled her trip. :(

her anxiety about it was too much so she's doing what makes the most sense for her.

me and the rest of the crew still plan on going. a lot can change in a week.

We just decided to cancel. A number of factors. We are both vaccinated and boosted however we are concerned with weather factors here at our home but the airline cancellations are a concern too. I noticed that the flight we take to Orlando was canceled this morning, they say due to short staff. We were planning to leave in a few days. I see on Touring Plans that the projected crowds are 10 out of 10 on most of the days we were planning on being there, too busy for me. Most disappointed about losing out on our run fees and the cute Tshirts! (Although my registration and waiver both disappeared from my account when I tried to sign it and of course no word back from RD…). Have fun everyone who is running!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter