Canadian Buffoon's DISmeet vacation - 09/14 - Bowled Over

The museum in Chicago looks fascinating!

My dad was an engineer on submarines (the designing kind, not the train-driving kind) at the Portsmouth Naval Ship Yard for almost 30 years. I have been in a few submarines, but none as large as this U-Boat.

The space stuff is very cool. Have you been to Washington DC? There is the Air & Space Museum, of course (most visited museum in the world), BUT there is also the Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles airport. They have a spectacular collection of planes on display (including the Enola Gay) and a space shuttle! Discovery, I think. You would like!

The model of Chicago is great! Wow!

Your dinner spot was a good call. I agree about rootbeer in a frosted mug. YUM!

:goodvibes

Last edited:
The museum in Chicago looks fascinating!

It was great!

My dad was an engineer on submarines (the designing kind, not the driving kind) at the Portsmouth Naval Ship Yard for almost 30 years. I have been in a few submarines, but none as large as this U-Boat.

Really! That's cool!
He must have interesting tales.

The space stuff is very cool. Have you been to Washington DC? There is the Air & Space Museum, of course (most visited museum in the world), BUT there is also the Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles airport. They have a spectacular collection of planes on display (including the Enola Gay) and a space shuttle! Discovery, I think. You would like!

As a matter of fact...

Later (much) in this TR,
I will talk about my visit
to the Udvar-Hazy Center. :)

The model of Chicago is great! Wow!

It's a model...
Of course it's great! :laughing:

Your dinner spot was a good call. I agree about rootbeer in a frosted mug. YUM!

::yes::

Hmmm.... maybe
(Maybe!)
October?
Not sure yet...
I'm serious if you make it back here we gotta meet up

Oh, there's a story there.
I knew I wanted the shot...
But if you open and close
the door, you're gonna have
rootbeer in the car
and broken glass
on the ground.

So I crawled over the
center column and
out the passenger door.
Repeat in reverse,
to get back in. :laughing:
That's what I was thinking

("I'm stealing your fish!" I yelled.
They promptly beat the carp out of me.)
:lmao:

"What kind of fish do you catch here?"
"Kett." The young man replied.

They weren't trying to be misleading. Just koi. You were in a Japanese garden after all.

By the way, you really do not have good luck visiting Japanese gardens- either they are closed for renovation or full of noise pollution. You may want to find a new kind of zen-fix.

Had to go back, but I saw it, without having to tag-team.

(See the movie Das Boot
(German, with English sub-titles)

My history-obsessed son, with a particular interest in WWII, asked for this movie last Christmas. For a graduation trip next summer he wants to visit important war-related sites in Europe. He has looked into some excellent organized tours and we are just deciding if he will go alone or if Mark and I (or one of us) will accompany him.

Really! That's cool!
He must have interesting tales.

He does. While he was working, he traveled to naval bases across the country including a whirlwind 1 day trip to Hawaii (a lot of travel time for a very short visit).

I have probably mentioned that my dad worked on the Thresher and was supposed to be onboard for the test voyage, which tragically turned out to be its final voyage. A friend of his asked if he could take my dad's spot that day. The incident still weighs heavy on him.

As a matter of fact...
Later (much) in this TR,
I will talk about my visit
to the Udvar-Hazy Center. :)

Excellent! I'm so glad you made it there!

:cool1:

Last edited:
I asked Betty to please
direct me to the "Yuko-En on
the Elkhorn" Japanese Garden.
(Yeah, so I like Japanese Gardens.
Sue me.)
I must admit to never having visited a Japanese garden. At least not that I remember. I did enjoy some small Chinese temples (smaller old wooden ones) that I visited in Singapore. I suppose there is some similarity there? I found them peaceful and interesting to look at anyway.

("I'm stealing your fish!" I yelled.
They promptly beat the carp out of me.)
Did they kick your bass?

Did you see it in this chapter?
At first, no. But a second look caught your creative graffiti.

Well lookie there, a new chapter.
First I’ll post up replies I was working on from the last one and then I can go see what this one is all about.

As a land-lubber, I have to ask: what's the difference?
One is spelled B-O-A-T
and the other is S-H-I-P.
Captain Oblivious meets Captain Obvious… :rolleyes:

I think it's just a convention
that carried on from days long gone.
Very true.
The closest thing to a rule designating the difference (and it’s a loose rule at best) is: ships can carry boats. Vessel types that started out diminutive enough to be carried aboard a larger ship but then grew to ship proportions over time often retain the older moniker.

Yep.
Many a tale has started with:
"When I was little..."
:laughing: Smart A**…

Don't recall if I've seen that one.
Maybe?
Certain have seen the Star Trek one.
Excellent 1957 film with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jürgens.
I picked up the DVD in the cheap bin so I’m sure it could be found out in the ether pretty easily.
Very much worth the watch.

I like that kind of danger.
Agreed…
I admit flat out that I plagiarize many several of his travel notions.

I had a handful of pennies.
I would drop one every now and then
and count the seconds.
That sounds about right…
…ish…

That, I was not aware of. Huh!
Yep… there’s only one Type-VII left anywhere.
That’d be interesting to board.

What? Where is this?
Manitowoc, WI…
The USS Cobia (SS-245) - a Gato Class sub (the main US production class during WWII)
It’s the primary part of the Wisconsin Maritime Museum.
At 1250 miles from you it ain’t a simple Sunday drive, but it is a smidgen close then Chicago.

Oh, and if you were nutty enough to catch the ferry across Lake Michigan from Manitowoc over to Muskegon, there’s another one over there: USS Silversides (SS-236) at the Great Lakes Naval Memorial & Museum.

There are a good number of subs spread about including in spots where you might not expect to find one. Say… like Oklahoma.

Bang your head on a torpedo
or wake up glowing in the dark...
Quite the Hobson, yes…

Well...
I get it.
Word gets out that a sub
is captured and all your
intelligence goes out the window.
Relatable to the point when Turing’s “Bomb” actually broke the Enigma, and they realized that if they tried to save everyone that day, they’d be saving no one else for considerably longer.

It'd be cool to put it on the Yorktown, though.
That would be a nice tribute to the recovery operations.
Maybe for a short traveling exhibit, but it will be seen by more folk where it is and I get that too.

Interesting choice of words.
I thought of "Awe inspiring".
Awe is a fine word.
What struck me as sobering is that everything we are, know, understand, love, hate… everything that is human is back there on that one little partly obscured sphere in the midst in the immense vastness of space.

I like how Carl Sagan put it:
“For all our conceits about being the center of the universe, we live
in a routine planet of a humdrum star stuck away in an obscure corner ...
on an unexceptional galaxy which is one of about 100 billion galaxies. ...
That is the fundamental fact of the universe we inhabit, and it is very
good for us to understand that.”

Nope! But... knew it all already. ;)
(Well... I don't really count Spider.
It never went to the moon.)
I can see that…
Apollo-9 gets short shrift by nearly all historians (as does Apollo-7)
But without proving that the craft and all its new concepts work, there is no Apollo-11.
There may have been more firsts on that mission then on any other Apollo flight. So yeah, Spider didn’t leave Earth orbit, but I still like to count it.

Have you ever had the opportunity to see the HBO series “From the Earth to the Moon” from a while back? There is a chapter on that mission that I find interesting and entertaining.

Please tell me you've seen
the movie Hidden Figures?
Saw that one in one of the better theaters.
Excellent look at part of our hidden history.

Similar to the story of the Mercury 13.

Hmmm... So which is better?
That spot (name?) or The Remedy?
Well, better is a function of what experience or cuisine you’re looking for.
They’re both good and there is generally a lot of pretty good eats in the area.

The Remedy is my favorite brew pub and the German inspired grub is most excellent
Not into beer; they also make their own root beer, but I don’t care for sassafras so I can’t speak for or against it (note: there’s also a fairly righteous German restaurant in the area: “The Waldhorn”).

Now as for Drive-In spots…
There are actually two classics in Charlotte (both in business since the 50s) and both have shown up on DD&D.

First off is the “South 21 Drive-In” known for their “Super Boy” but also gets a nod from many for fried chicken (although the real chicken experience would be at “Price’s Chicken Coop”)

My favorite Drive-In though is the slightly quirkier “Barbeque King”.
They do the standards including some particularly good onion rings and as the name suggests offer a decent pulled pork sandwich (but I’d take you elsewhere if you were in the mood for some “Q”). The trick in the tale though is they’re version of barbeque chicken. First off they start with house made fried chicken (also good on its own) and then while it’s hot out of the fryer, dunk in strait into their vinegar based que sauce. I like to let it sit a bit to so that the crust sucks in all the goodness (we usually do take out so it has time to mellow). It’s a local thing that may not suite everyone, but I love the stuff.

There are plenty of other places as well if you’re in the mode for some other type of experience.
Barbeque, Southern Seafood, Breakfast, Chef Specials, Cajun, Calzone/ Stromboli, Mediterranean, Indian, Mexican… I’ll have a different answer for each variety.

It's been a hectic few months, the grand-kids graduated from high school
How is that possible??? Dang kids grew up on me when I wasn't looking, lol.

Granddaughter wants to be an animator and would love to work at Disney.
Heh.
Wouldn't we all.
What are her chances? I hope good. She will be attending Savannah College of Art & Design starting in September and they are one of the companies that they work with. In fact when she went last summer for five weeks one of her professors was an animator at Disney, she loved it.

My daughter became engaged
Congrats to her! :) She got a good one.

and she suggested that her and I take a mother/daughter trip to Disney World in October. I almost fainted because she isn't much on going there...gasp! Safe to say I jumped on that and have already made the reservation...now where did I plant that money tree.
:laughing: I could use one of those trees.

But that's great that you're going!
When? Made the date, yet? We will be arriving October 7th. I just finished doing fast passes and got the main ones that I wanted (the stress).

They weren't trying to be misleading. Just koi. You were in a Japanese garden after all.

:sad2:

You've used that one before,
I think?

But... nicely done
tying it in with the
Japanese garden. ::yes::

By the way, you really do not have good luck visiting Japanese gardens- either they are closed for renovation or full of noise pollution. You may want to find a new kind of zen-fix.

I've had much better luck, since. :)

Had to go back, but I saw it, without having to tag-team.

;)
(Nice one.)

My history-obsessed son, with a particular interest in WWII, asked for this movie last Christmas. For a graduation trip next summer he wants to visit important war-related sites in Europe. He has looked into some excellent organized tours and we are just deciding if he will go alone or if Mark and I (or one of us) will accompany him.

Really!
That sounds very interesting.
Huh!
Have any examples?

He does. While he was working, he traveled to naval bases across the country including a whirlwind 1 day trip to Hawaii (a lot of travel time for a very short visit).

I have probably mentioned that my dad worked on the Thresher and was supposed to be onboard for the test voyage, which tragically turned out to be its final voyage. A friend of his asked if he could take my dad's spot that day. The incident still weighs heavy on him.

:eek:
Wow! Holy crap.
I mean... Holy. Crap. :faint:

Excellent! I'm so glad you made it there!

:goodvibes

I must admit to never having visited a Japanese garden. At least not that I remember. I did enjoy some small Chinese temples (smaller old wooden ones) that I visited in Singapore. I suppose there is some similarity there? I found them peaceful and interesting to look at anyway.

Japanese gardens (usually!)
are very peaceful.
That's what I like about them.
That and the design elements.
The simplicity.

I'm not really big into
English flower gardens.

Did they kick your bass?

At first, no. But a second look caught your creative graffiti.

;)
Just a wee bit harder to spot.

Captain Oblivious meets Captain Obvious… :rolleyes:

Very true.
The closest thing to a rule designating the difference (and it’s a loose rule at best) is: ships can carry boats. Vessel types that started out diminutive enough to be carried aboard a larger ship but then grew to ship proportions over time often retain the older moniker.

That's what I understand too.
I'm thinking... the earliest
subs were transported
(and most research ones
still are) on ships.

:laughing: Smart A**…

Actually meant it.
Many lives are shaped
by events that occurred
when people were kids.

Excellent 1957 film with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jürgens.
I picked up the DVD in the cheap bin so I’m sure it could be found out in the ether pretty easily.
Very much worth the watch.

I'd heard of it...
but have yet to see it.
Hope to rectify that some day.

Agreed…
I admit flat out that I plagiarize many several of his travel notions.

Sure! He's already done all
the research. :)

That sounds about right…
…ish…

"ish"?
What? Out of your depth?

:rolleyes1

Yep… there’s only one Type-VII left anywhere.
That’d be interesting to board.

Where is that?

Manitowoc, WI…
The USS Cobia (SS-245) - a Gato Class sub (the main US production class during WWII)
It’s the primary part of the Wisconsin Maritime Museum.
At 1250 miles from you it ain’t a simple Sunday drive, but it is a smidgen close then Chicago.

Oh, and if you were nutty enough to catch the ferry across Lake Michigan from Manitowoc over to Muskegon, there’s another one over there: USS Silversides (SS-236) at the Great Lakes Naval Memorial & Museum.

Huh!
Doubt I'll have time on my
next road trip, but... never know.
Slight chance at Muskegon... hmmm...

There are a good number of subs spread about including in spots where you might not expect to find one. Say… like Oklahoma.

Well, see? That makes perfect sense.
Oklahoma borders a State
that has an ocean.

So... practically a
coastal State.

Quite the Hobson, yes…

I think you might be
one of the few people
I know who has even
heard of a Hobson choice,
let alone use it in a sentence.

Relatable to the point when Turing’s “Bomb” actually broke the Enigma, and they realized that if they tried to save everyone that day, they’d be saving no one else for considerably longer.

Sounds like you're maybe
hinting at Coventry?
Or D-Day?

That would be a nice tribute to the recovery operations.
Maybe for a short traveling exhibit, but it will be seen by more folk where it is and I get that too.

Good point.

Awe is a fine word.
What struck me as sobering is that everything we are, know, understand, love, hate… everything that is human is back there on that one little partly obscured sphere in the midst in the immense vastness of space.

I like how Carl Sagan put it:
“For all our conceits about being the center of the universe, we live
in a routine planet of a humdrum star stuck away in an obscure corner ...
on an unexceptional galaxy which is one of about 100 billion galaxies. ...
That is the fundamental fact of the universe we inhabit, and it is very
good for us to understand that.”

:) I like that too.
I don't remember that quote,
although I've probably heard it
a long time ago.

I can see that…
Apollo-9 gets short shrift by nearly all historians (as does Apollo-7)
But without proving that the craft and all its new concepts work, there is no Apollo-11.
There may have been more firsts on that mission then on any other Apollo flight. So yeah, Spider didn’t leave Earth orbit, but I still like to count it.

Very good point!
Okay, I'll count Spider too. :)

Have you ever had the opportunity to see the HBO series “From the Earth to the Moon” from a while back? There is a chapter on that mission that I find interesting and entertaining.

No. :(
We don't have HBO.

Hmmm...
I wonder if it's on Netflix now?

Saw that one in one of the better theaters.
Excellent look at part of our hidden history.

Similar to the story of the Mercury 13.

This is spooky.
I'd never heard of "Mercury 13" until
about a week ago.
I downloaded it a few days ago
and will be watching it soon.

Well, better is a function of what experience or cuisine you’re looking for.
They’re both good and there is generally a lot of pretty good eats in the area.

The Remedy is my favorite brew pub and the German inspired grub is most excellent
Not into beer; they also make their own root beer, but I don’t care for sassafras so I can’t speak for or against it (note: there’s also a fairly righteous German restaurant in the area: “The Waldhorn”).

Now as for Drive-In spots…
There are actually two classics in Charlotte (both in business since the 50s) and both have shown up on DD&D.

First off is the “South 21 Drive-In” known for their “Super Boy” but also gets a nod from many for fried chicken (although the real chicken experience would be at “Price’s Chicken Coop”)

My favorite Drive-In though is the slightly quirkier “Barbeque King”.
They do the standards including some particularly good onion rings and as the name suggests offer a decent pulled pork sandwich (but I’d take you elsewhere if you were in the mood for some “Q”). The trick in the tale though is they’re version of barbeque chicken. First off they start with house made fried chicken (also good on its own) and then while it’s hot out of the fryer, dunk in strait into their vinegar based que sauce. I like to let it sit a bit to so that the crust sucks in all the goodness (we usually do take out so it has time to mellow). It’s a local thing that may not suite everyone, but I love the stuff.

There are plenty of other places as well if you’re in the mode for some other type of experience.
Barbeque, Southern Seafood, Breakfast, Chef Specials, Cajun, Calzone/ Stromboli, Mediterranean, Indian, Mexican… I’ll have a different answer for each variety.

Um...
1. Holy crap!
2. Drool!
3. I think I need to spend
more time in Charlotte.
4. Drool!

Dang kids grew up on me when I wasn't looking, lol.

Tell 'em to stop that!

I hope good. She will be attending Savannah College of Art & Design starting in September and they are one of the companies that they work with. In fact when she went last summer for five weeks one of her professors was an animator at Disney, she loved it.

Wow! That's cool!
I really hope she gets in! :)

She got a good one.

Good. ::yes::

We will be arriving October 7th. I just finished doing fast passes and got the main ones that I wanted (the stress).

Not too far off!
I've been hearing
that getting FP's ain't
so easy these days.

:sad2:

Just catching up
When I found out that there was
an actual WWII German U-boat
parked in a museum in Chicago, well...
Haven’t been inside the thing in years. Many years. I remember the cafeteria used to sell German food in its honor. Lol

And.... like many,
was enchanted by the
model railway
We took DS to see it a few years ago, plus the big trains, and planes. Did you skip the coal mine?!

I noticed a man-made tornado
It IS pretty cool

The tenderloin was simply served,
but had the advantage of being
about as big as my head.
Looks delicious. Keep meaning to road trip that way.

Just catching up

Hi! :)

Haven’t been inside the thing in years. Many years. I remember the cafeteria used to sell German food in its honor. Lol

:laughing:
Captured as well, I presume.

We took DS to see it a few years ago, plus the big trains, and planes. Did you skip the coal mine?!

I had to!
Just... no time.
But... gives me a reason
to come back. :)

It IS pretty cool

::yes::
I tried to take a photo, but...
tons of people standing
in front of it.

Looks delicious. Keep meaning to road trip that way.

It was pretty good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter