Can you explain why my 13 year old is listed as a child?

RubySlippers

DIS Veteran
We have booked with the regular dining plan and paid the adult price for my 13 year old. Our online reservations state that we have the dining plan for 2 adults and 1 child? :confused3 When I called WDW I was told not to worry about it... That he would still be able to order from the adult menu...any thoughts?

Thanks!

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the resevation says 2 adults 1 child meaning that is what is booked in the room. Children are still children in the room until 18, although park tickets and dining plan prices change at age 10.

But without seeing the reservation itself, I'm not sure.

Ruby, I have the same thing on mine. I asked the travel agent we booked through and she said when we booked through the stay, play, dine it came up that way. She also said not to worry that he would still be allowed to order a regular meal.pixiedust:

Because technically, the 13 year old IS a child. Anyone under 17 years old is listed as a child on the reservation.

Anyone listed as a child over the age of 10 (you should be able to see their age on the reservation) is charged adult prices and is considered a 'Disney adult.'

We also booked under the stay, play, and dine package and ours shows the same thing, even though we put the ages as 10 and 17.

As with anything you're a minor until 18.

It is not about being a minor ... it is about ADULT dining credits VS CHILD dining credits. There is a price difference AND if he is listed a "CHILD" I am concerned that he will be forced to order off the CHILD'S menu ( which is for ages 3-9) even though he is considered an "ADULT" by Disney standards.

It is not about being a minor ... it is about ADULT dining credits VS CHILD dining credits. There is a price difference AND if he is listed a "CHILD" I am concerned that he will be forced to order off the CHILD'S menu ( which is for ages 3-9) even though he is considered an "ADULT" by Disney standards.

That's actually exactly what it is about- being a minor. Everyone under 18 will be listed as a child. However, anyone will be charged by age. If they are listed as 10 or over they are charged adult prices and will receive adult credits. But they ARE still children. They can't book rooms in their name, etc. They're just 'Disney Adults.' Unfortunately, Disney doesn't have a listing on their reservations for that, so adult/child it is. As long as the ages listed on the reservation are correct, and adult ages, then you'll be fine.

The credits/charges aren't disbursed by the title of adult or child - they're disbursed by the age listed for each guest. That's why a child listed as 1 year old won't be given credits, but a child listed as 3 will even though they are both listed as children on the reservation. Someone wants their child to get adult credits? They change the age to 10. They don't list them as an adult. The age is the distinction.

On our last trip it was DH & myself with our 3 kids (all over 10) On our reservation it stated 2 adults and 3 children but on our meal credits it showed as 5 adults and the kids ordered adult meals.

For room purposes anybody under 18 is a child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter