Can we talk about TIPFLATION for a minute?

McDonalds and Chick-Fil-A are the main ones I mobile order from and they don't start your food until you get there.
Okay. Kind of negates a large reason for the app though, doesn't it? I'm a dinosaur and order over the phone, they tell me when it will be ready, I arrive at the time, and my food is just coming off the grill.

I really wish we'd migrate to a tipless system or with tips automatically built into price... like how Disney added 18% for TIW discounts... or where I am in Chicago, the Alinea restaurant group adds in 20% for the dinner tickets (they sell tickets like a theater vs reservations for prix fixe meals). The whole sub-minimum wage needs to go away, restaurant owners should be paying living wages and the prices should reflect that... Isn't this how they do it in a lot of the world?
Not familiar with sub-minimum as that is not a thing in CA, but doesn't it work such that you get minimum wage NMW but if you are tipped, your tips count towards the minimum until you exceed minimum? IOW, say MW is $10/hr, but you are in a tipped position. Say SMW is $5/hour and you get $4/hr in tips, you would get $10/hr (employer would subsidize), but if you got $6/hr in tips you would get $11/hr. All the same, I agree, that's not right. You are essentially giving your employer your tips once your tips plus SMW exceed MW. I'm not tipping your boss.

Not familiar with sub-minimum as that is not a thing in CA, but doesn't it work such that you get minimum wage NMW but if you are tipped, your tips count towards the minimum until you exceed minimum? IOW, say MW is $10/hr, but you are in a tipped position. Say SMW is $5/hour and you get $4/hr in tips, you would get $10/hr (employer would subsidize), but if you got $6/hr in tips you would get $11/hr. All the same, I agree, that's not right. You are essentially giving your employer your tips once your tips plus SMW exceed MW. I'm not tipping your boss.
If you exceed MW with your tips you still keep the tips.

I am a DVM, and I understand the complaints about increases in fees. There are two reasons for this: 1) medication and medical supply costs have skyrocketed.

2) Also because for years, vets have been expected to work as much or more hours than a human medical doctor, for about 1/3 the salary. That's changing recently due to the corporate takeover of veterinary medicine , and also the newer generation just doesn't want to work so hard for so little. As one of the older generation of vets, the newer idea of better work/life balance in our industry is long overdue.

Having said that, I have gotten 2 tips in my 19 year career, and only accepted one of them because she wouldn't let me give it back. We would never ask for tips for professional services.

Yes. I am fine/eager to pay 18-20% for good service. But the other day at a fast-casual restaurant, they were using iPads to pay, and the only options to tip were 22%, 24%, 26% and 28%. It's getting out of hand.

The price of vet care has definitely skyrocketed in our area (NJ). And I've heard it's mostly due to private equity firms buying these practices. I don't know, but it's got to be getting to be too much for a lot of people. I'm glad to hear that younger vets aren't accepting the crazy hours any longer, because that's no way to live.

I give a "tip" to the entire internal medicine team every year. A big gift card to buy lunch for the whole team during the holidays. I have a dog with an autoimmune disease who is now diabetic, so we're there a lot and know all of the vets and techs in that department. They seem to really appreciate it. Just a thought for anyone who may want to tip a veterinarian......one way is to buy lunch (or even coffee/breakfast) for the the whole office or the team.

Okay. Kind of negates a large reason for the app though, doesn't it? I'm a dinosaur and order over the phone, they tell me when it will be ready, I arrive at the time, and my food is just coming off the grill.
I love it. I order and pay on the app. I pull up the drive-thru and tell them I have a mobile order for DisneyHardin - I then skip the "pay" window and go right to the pick up area. For McDonald's especially, there are tons of great coupons in the app to apply to the order.

If you exceed MW with your tips you still keep the tips.
Kinda, but your employer is paying you less. In my scenario, your employer pays you $10 until you get $5 in tips, then he pays you $5. In CA, there is no SMW, so you'd get $10 plus the tips, or $15 (actually MW is higher than that here too - I digress).

Not at all. You don't have to wait to order, just pick it up. You also get lots of free/heavily discounted food by using the app for many places

Not at all. You don't have to wait to order, just pick it up. You also get lots of free/heavily discounted food by using the app for many places
Along this line, I ordered McD’s today while out and about. The app offered free fries with any purchase. So I ordered fries and a cheeseburger and it was $2.40 for lunch. Can’t beat that! It would have been like $6 or$7 if I ordered when I got there.

Along this line, I ordered McD’s today while out and about. The app offered free fries with any purchase. So I ordered fries and a cheeseburger and it was $2.40 for lunch. Can’t beat that! It would have been like $6 or$7 if I ordered when I got there.
I use their daily buy one get one free breakfast sandwich often.
And about every other time I get Chick Fil A I get something for free.

Yes it’s insane. I see this everywhere now and I don’t tip unless it’s a traditional tip-for-service interaction. My teen DD recently started part time at Pizza Hut, just stands behind the counter and takes peoples orders and checks them out. She came home and was talking about her tips and I said “tips?! For what?” She said “I don’t don’t know it pops up on the screen and people just click the tip”. She literally does nothing but check people out. Crazy.
With Pizza hut, I used to do delivery. I had to tip out the cashiers, cooks, etc. So some of her tips are also coming from the staff with tipped positions such as the servers and drivers.

I love it. I order and pay on the app. I pull up the drive-thru and tell them I have a mobile order for DisneyHardin - I then skip the "pay" window and go right to the pick up area. For McDonald's especially, there are tons of great coupons in the app to apply to the order.
The coupons would be good, but don't go to McDonalds enough I guess.
I find I download an app, and find something about it irritates me, and I delete it.
Too many spam you with texts and don't have a way to opt out of text alerts

Kinda, but your employer is paying you less. In my scenario, your employer pays you $10 until you get $5 in tips, then he pays you $5. In CA, there is no SMW, so you'd get $10 plus the tips, or $15 (actually MW is higher than that here too - I digress).
how do you figure the Employee is giving the employer their tips?

I would agree that the customer is subsidizing wages for the employer with a tipped MW. But it is frequently a sweet deal for the wait staff since they can earn way more than actual MW with those tips. If the tipped MW is eliminated, I wonder if customers would tip as generously causing earning to drop for waiters. 🤷‍♀️

The coupons would be good, but don't go to McDonalds enough I guess.
I find I download an app, and find something about it irritates me, and I delete it.
Too many spam you with texts and don't have a way to opt out of text alerts

You can opt out of ANY text alerts by typing "STOP"

It's universal.

I would agree that the customer is subsidizing wages for the employer with a tipped MW. But it is frequently a sweet deal for the wait staff since they can earn way more than actual MW with those tips. If the tipped MW is eliminated, I wonder if customers would tip as generously causing earning to drop for waiters. 🤷‍♀️
My daughter works crazy bartending shifts in Boston to make rent while getting her doctorate in dpt, which includes thursdays nights until 3 am and getting to class at 8 am. No way would she do it working minimum wage, but tips are good.

It's universal.
Not Schwans. As our Driver put it, it will stop texts about special offers, but not reminders of your service date, that your driver is on their way or arrived and it was a huge source of complaints.

It's universal.
Not always. Didn't work for me. I had someone texting me from various numbers (so blocking didn't help) spoofing a Jewel's name but including their own website. I blocked numbers, replied "STOP" multiple times. Now that I think about it, they haven't been back in a while, but if someone has nefarious intentions, you think they're worried about a STOP reply?

Probably not. BUT they'd get a higher base salary (in theory). If the higher base salary isn't enough to keep them around, then owners need to up their offer. If they don't find whatever the "magic pill" is to keep someone in the job, they go out of business... like every other business out there.

I use that McDonald’s app a lot. But I do order at the speaker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter