• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can we pick up our own luggage AND still ride DME bus?

That answer is completely false. If you do not pick up your luggage that night it will remain in the airlines office until the next morning early, at which time a Disney castmember will come by and pick it up for delivery to Disney. Airlines do not like to hold your luggage any longer than they have to. The em0ployees will see the yellow Disney tags and call DME to assure of the pick up early so it will be in Disney around 0700.

It would be better if those who do not know what is happening would hold back on such false comments.

I did not post false comments I asked this question of DME myself when this policy took effect and that is what I was told and unless you actually have it in writting as a policy of DME to deliver your luggage the next day I would love to see it. Other wise stop accusing people of posting false information.

If you would like your luggage with you, then that should be fine. I have let DME handle it previously, but this time I will be waiting for it as well.

I realize everyone, including myself, is anxious to arrive at their destination, but I'm not sure a few minute delay, if any, should irritate folks. I'm not sure what the difference is between having strollers and carryons loaded versus luggage....

Is this true? If you arrive after 10pm and do not collect your luggage will DME deliver it the next day?

I did not post false comments I asked this question of DME myself when this policy took effect and that is what I was told and unless you actually have it in writting as a policy of DME to deliver your luggage the next day I would love to see it. Other wise stop accusing people of posting false information.
Edd is correct in this case. Any bag that comes through, with those yellow tags on them, will be taken to one place. DME CMs will get them first thing in the morning, and deliver them to the resorts. Where those bags end up, for the night? I have no idea, but DME CMs do collect them in the morning and deliver them. Can you imagine the angst if everyone had to trek back to MCO to get their luggage??? Nope, that just isn't going to happen.
And yes, this is what I've been told, both on the phone and in person at the DME counter.

According to the current policy the poster's statement was not right and never has been. I personally pursued this subject at OIA when the policy to shut down DME luggage after 2200 hours was announced. I was told by the DME station manager and several of the airline offices the policy that was going to be followed. You got it in the above thread. I cannot imagine the uproar that would come about if the poster's statement was true.

So the moral of the story is don't post what you don't know (gossip). There is always someone that can check it out.

Is this true? If you arrive after 10pm and do not collect your luggage will DME deliver it the next day?

My flight arrives at 10:21 pm so I called. I was told on the phone that if I didn't want to collect my luggage and carry it on the bus with me it would be delivered the next day. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I've used the luggage service before (when I had a flight that landed earlier) and absolutely love it. Luggage was delivered within three hours (actually it was closer to two hours) just as promised. I just don't know if I want to wait until the next day for my luggage.

I have absolutely no doubt you're correct. Unclaimed luggage goes to the unclaimed luggage office. DME CMS pick up luggage from the unclaimed luggage office. Passengers luggage sometimes comes on a later flight. Tight connections. Mistake. Some luggage left behind for weight reasons. There has to be a system to get those bags to WDW. Bags from passengers who "forget" to pick up their bags should be treated the same.

That said I don't think Disney is allowed to publicly suggest a system where passengers bags are deliberately not picked up at baggage claim and are intentionally abandoned overnight.

It's a shame Disney can't work out something with the airlines and MCO that would allow Disney to officially give guests the option of getting their luggage delivered the next morning.

According to the current policy the poster's statement was not right and never has been. I personally pursued this subject at OIA when the policy to shut down DME luggage after 2200 hours was announced. I was told by the DME station manager and several of the airline offices the policy that was going to be followed. You got it in the above thread. I cannot imagine the uproar that would come about if the poster's statement was true.

So the moral of the story is don't post what you don't know (gossip). There is always someone that can check it out.

Lewis, the Disney luggage, left behind, is not sent someplace at 0200 a.m. in the morning when there is no one around to pick it up. It is held in the airline's office until the Disney CM's come around early the next morning approximately 0500 to pick it up. Disney doesn't say anything because most of the airlines offices do not have space for a lot of luggage. I am sure they would not want wholescale luggage pick up during the closed hours. I believe there are some CM's working after 2200 and maybe they come by and pick up the luggage than.

Disney doesn't say anything because most of the airlines offices do not have space for a lot of luggage. I am sure they would not want wholescale luggage pick up during the closed hours. I believe there are some CM's working after 2200 and maybe they come by and pick up the luggage than.

Exactly. It's a shame Disney can't have one or two CMs grab the luggage from the carousels and/or airline unclaimed offices so they can officially offer a "hold for delivery tomorrow" option.

I normally fly SW. I suspect you'd get my halfway to WDW in the length of time it would take me to schlep my bags up to level three, across to the opposite corner of MCO then down to level one. I usually stay at an airport hotel if my flight lands after 10p but I'd probably use a car service instead of DME if I was going to get my own luggage and go directly to WDW. My luck I'd just miss a bus and discover DME decided to hold my bus until a later flight arrived.

I don't know why you think you are the final authority when it comes to all things DME but I Did not post gossip I posted what I know to be true based on what I was told by DME and you posted what you know to be true based on what you were told by DME. Please stop with the holier than though attitude.

My flight arrives at 10:21 pm so I called. I was told on the phone that if I didn't want to collect my luggage and carry it on the bus with me it would be delivered the next day. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I've used the luggage service before (when I had a flight that landed earlier) and absolutely love it. Luggage was delivered within three hours (actually it was closer to two hours) just as promised. I just don't know if I want to wait until the next day for my luggage.

I, too, used DME before and loved how easy it was. My daughter and I are sleepyheads and we usually do not start touring early; if our bags came the next morning that would work for us.

I don't know why you think you are the final authority when it comes to all things DME but I Did not post gossip I posted what I know to be true based on what I was told by DME and you posted what you know to be true based on what you were told by DME. Please stop with the holier than though attitude.

FYI, from what I know from being here for a couple years, Edd is involved, in some way, with transportation between MCO and WDW. I don't think he works for disney, but I do remember when he was seeking out info from the *officials* when all this overnight stuff changed.

There is no 'holier than thou' attitude going on here..only the offering of information as it is known. Edd is at MCO quite a bit, and he knows the in's and out's there. He is in constant contact with people there and has proven to be a valuable source of info. While we don't always see eye to eye on every issue, Edd does provide good info.
We all know that Disney can give conflicting info. There is no way that Disney is going to allow their guests checked bags to remain at MCO..it just isn't going to happen. It is delivered the next morning.

We all know that Disney can give conflicting info. .

And herein lies the problem. Naturally if a CM or DME operator gives information it is assumed that that's the truth. Fortunately being a Dis'er has it's advantages because we all know to check and double check our information...no matter where it comes from. :hug:

It's like where I work at. If someone calls in and wants to talk to the owner, I ask them if they want to talk to the owner (management) or someone who knows what's going on (the workers). I have no doubt was was told to the one person, but I tend to trust Edd's info a bit more in this case.

Yes, you can, but keep in mind when you and everyone else with the same idea gets to the bus with your luggage you will delay your fellow guests up to 30 minutes from getting to their resort. Everyone is just as much anxious to get to their resorts. Loading your luggage aboard the bus is not a good idea as luggage delivery is very safe. You should be able to carry anything you will need for the few hours it takes for your luggage to arrive in your room.

Alright, It is never my intention to hack off anyone, however what obligation do I have to prevent someone from being irritated if indeed I'm following policy by lugging my own luggage to a DME bus? We chose and have always chosen to lug our luggage on our own, we travel light and we usually only have 2 suitcases for 2 adults and 2 children ages 4 and 2. seriously I'm fairly irritated about always being concerned about inconveniencing someone else. I say if it's disney policy then get hacked off at Disney, not me. In order to prepare for every possible complication with a 2 and 4 year old, My carry on would be as large as our regular suitcases. I've had success with DME but hey, if I adhere to the policy, I'm going to lug my own luggage. Maybe it's unnecessary but we also know the saying, if you want something done right then do it yourself, I prefer to have the control of my bags when it's offered and right now it is still offered , until then, I'll be the one holding up your bus.:thumbsup2

Because DME (the bus part) was set up to work with the luggage delivery to get people to their resorts as quickly as possible. It was meant to have people take their carry ons with them, and sure you'd have some people get their luggage, or have strollers etc etc that needed to be loaded and unloaded. It wasnt 'planned' to have lot of people take their luggage with them as, bottom line is, it does mean it takes longer for folks after the first stop to get to their resort. I'm sure the bus drivers like it because they will get more tips this way.

The 'vision' of DME was to get people to their resorts, and to the parks ASAP so they could A) start enjoying their vacation and B) to start spending money. It keeps the bell services less crowded, because I'm sure many people also just check in, and leave their bags and head to the parks anyway. So why not let WDW deliver them to your room for you? And I'd LOVE to see the stats as the the number of times luggage was delayed was actually due to WDW or the airlines. (of course we'll never know those numbers).

But to your question, there isnt anything to keep you from taking your luggage. But if you are the last stop and wonder why it takes so long to get from resort to resort, look and see how much luggage had to be offloaded at each resort...

Because DME (the bus part) was set up to work with the luggage delivery to get people to their resorts as quickly as possible. It was meant to have people take their carry ons with them, and sure you'd have some people get their luggage, or have strollers etc etc that needed to be loaded and unloaded. It wasnt 'planned' to have lot of people take their luggage with them as, bottom line is, it does mean it takes longer for folks after the first stop to get to their resort. I'm sure the bus drivers like it because they will get more tips this way.

The 'vision' of DME was to get people to their resorts, and to the parks ASAP so they could A) start enjoying their vacation and B) to start spending money. It keeps the bell services less crowded, because I'm sure many people also just check in, and leave their bags and head to the parks anyway. So why not let WDW deliver them to your room for you? And I'd LOVE to see the stats as the the number of times luggage was delayed was actually due to WDW or the airlines. (of course we'll never know those numbers).

But to your question, there isnt anything to keep you from taking your luggage. But if you are the last stop and wonder why it takes so long to get from resort to resort, look and see how much luggage had to be offloaded at each resort...

Travel day 1 for me, useless, regardless of what time I arrive, so I'm not on the bus EVER thinking oh my god why is this taking so long? If it remains a policy or is allowed to continue then i'm really not that concerned if i'm hacking someone off, clearly not intended to hack someone off, however if i'm abiding by what is allowed then get irritated at someone else. It seems no one is ever concerned if i'm being hacked of or irritated, or if i'm inconvienenced. Me picking up my bags eliminates one more set of hands making a mistake. Picking my own bags up just prevents me from having to decide who is to blame the Airlines or Disney:confused3. Truth of the matter is, Disney is counting on a few picking their own bags, maybe reduces the amount of folks looking for bags and seeing that they get to the resorts on time and in the long run maybe saves money.

OK, what happens when you arrive at 9:30 pm or so? When do the bags arrive? by 1:30 am? I don't think I want to be disturbed after midnight, if the bags came before that, fine. But after that, I would wait until morning.

What do I tell bell services?

People....at this time, Disney has no 'ruling' on bringing your own luggage with you to the bus. Plenty of guests arrive the night before their reservation at WDW starts and stay close to the airport so as to get an early, fresh start in the morning. They then bring their bags with them to the bus, and off they go. And that's okay with Disney.
The problem arises when the vast majority of the passengers on one bus bring all their checked bags with them. Does this happen often? No, of course not. The vast majority of us love not having to lug our luggage around the airport with them, and have no problems at all allowing DME to handle it all for us. But....when you have to sit on the bus, while the driver holds you hostage, so to speak, until he gets all that luggage unloaded, well, it's annoying. And that is what happened to me. A longish wait at MCO while all the bags had to be loaded. And it seemed that just as you thought you would be leaving the airport, another family would amble up with their 5 bags. And then it happened again...we sat there for close to 30 mins and I wasn't one of the first on that bus!!! Then, to stop at CSR, and wait 10 mins while bags were unloaded, then the guests allowed off the bus, and then wait for them to collect their bags...whilst the driver stands there with his hand out, then repeat that at AKL....another 10 mins. When we finally got to POP, there I sat on the bus, hostage while bags are unloaded. I had no bags to get, kept my tote bag with me on the bus, yet I had to sit there and cool my heels for another 8 mins. Is it any surprise that I bolted off that bus as soon as the door was opened and ran into the resort to beat the rush to checkin???
I'm not mad at the guests as much as mad at the driver. It wouldn't have been so bad if he had allowed guests off the bus, to get their bags as they were unloaded, rather than sit there and wait for everyone's bags to be off loaded.

It just doesn't happen all that often, and is no reason to get our 'panties in a twist' here, so to speak. Do what works for your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter