Can we go in the pool?... Not Today; Our 8 days on the surface of the sun! Almost Done 4/10!

We love Whispering Canyon and when we went in 2019 the fun was scaled down a bit for sure. They did do the ketchup then though and the table next to ours always needed ketchup. My favorite trip to Whispering Canyon was also our first way back in 2008. Our oldest son dropped his fork and so our waitress brought him a 3 foot fork to replace it! I knew about all the fun stuff but didn't twll any of the rest of the family before hand so they could be surprised. When we went back in 2014 the waiter tried to find my youngest son a girlfriend and grabbed a girl around his age and brought her to our table and had her sit down. Poor girl was so embarrassed. But the waiter told her family at least they didn't have to pay for her food since my son would because they were on date LOL I miss the old days of WCC.

When we went in 2016 they gave us like 20 straws and put my son in jail when he dropped food (he was one), it was hilarious. The old days aren't there now for sure. Still the meal was good, and perfect for us because we didn't want to leave the resort.

Whispering Canyon was always such a fun place for dinner. We had a similar experience as Bama Mom, the waitress tried pairing up my middle son with the girl at the next table. The waitress was very surprised when my son asked to use her pen and then ended up getting the girl's phone number. They texted each other the rest of the trip.

That's perfect!

Following along!

D was quick to point out that he wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian because it's his favorite.

"Sorry Kid, not today!" Then before we got through the lobby and up to our room (which was ready!)

"Dad can we go in the pool?"
Kids are cute like that aren't they.

With this nece view also came the constant sound of boat horns, which start early and go late.
We stayed in a room in that area once a LONG time ago! And we spent most of the week trying to figure out what the geseur noise was.

and they brought me out a literal pile of pulled pork. Still as good as any pulled pork I've had.
Bummer that they aren't doing alot of the antics. But not surprising right now. Glad that they encouraged the all you can eat part. And that you liked the food. It's been a long time since we have been there,

After the show we tried to settle into bed, but the Electrical Water Pageant decided it was time to start. It goes by this part of Wilderness Lodge twice by the way...
THAT is REALLY loud! I remember being amazed at just how loud it was.

They didn't wake the kids up but Deb and I were up will they decided to go to sleep. To kill the suspense it was their last night, which is probably why they were up so late. But we weren't bothered again the rest of the trip!
Ugh. That is the worst. Glad it didn't wake the kids up. Can't wait to hear about your first day.

Welcome back! In strong contrast to last weekend which was beautiful here, it's a dark and gloomy, rainy, Sunday morning. But, the coffee is still good and there are a lot of posts to get done. On we go!

Chapter 2- Can We Ride Everest.... Not Today
After a short nights rest we were up and getting ready for our day at 6:45. We wanted to get to AK at about 8am and spend a majority of the day there. It was not in our plans to get on any Pandora rides, we had a secret in our back pockets to do that later in the week.

After we got dressed and ready we ordered our breakfast on the mobile app, then headed down to get it. I, for one, love the mobile ordering, and found it really convenient. Some mornings it was great to order, run down grab the food, then bring it up to the room and eat on the balcony. Plus skipping the line was key.

Breakfast for us is usually pretty basic. I always get a cinnamon bun (I'm on vacation) and a coffee. Deb, oatmeal and some sort of iced coffee, and the kids get their Micky Waffles and bacon.

IMG_6184.jpeg

Bellies were full, and so, we were on our way! In the lobby Deb reminds us all to wear our ears, I'm the only one that doesn't, but I've got my Disney hat on!

IMG_6187.jpeg

We were on a bus around 7:45, a Monsters bus at that!

IMG_8012.jpeg

IMG_6188.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

We arrived at AK at around 8:10 and decided to head to the safari first. Hopefully the animals would be active since it was still cool out. And, I guess by cool I mean like almost 90, but not the flaming inferno of a Floridia afternoon.

As we walked in the line for Flight of Passage was wrapped all the way towards the Pizzafari on the way to Africa.

IMG_8013.jpeg

We were glad it wasn't part of the plan for today. In April Deb and I rode it with a less than hour wait, those days are long gone though.

We got in line for the Safari a 8:20 and it was posted as a 15 minute wait, which was pretty accurate. Since the mask mandate for the queues was only about a week or so old Disney had CMs throughout the line asking people to make sure their masks were up. Most people complied, some did not.

We got the last row of the safari vehicle.

IMG_6196.jpeg

Then our trip around Africa started. I'll put a couple giraffe highlights in here, otherwise it was a pretty tame tour. We got to see the baby hippo, but it was hard to get and good pictures of her on here.

IMG_6197.jpeg

IMG_8014.jpeg

IMG_8015.jpeg

Out of room, more to come in the next post!

We finished up the Safari by seeing 1 elephant who was kinda far away and the lion's area was being worked on so no lions were out. Once we were done it was time to go see the gorillas, and stop for some pictures.

IMG_6209.jpeg

Drink up that water kid, it's gonna get hot! The walk through the gorilla area was pretty nice, it wasn't crowded yet so there was plenty of room to see everything. D is of course super interested in the skulls by the Okapi, and later the gorilla skulls.

IMG_8017.jpeg

The gorilla in the back here was a couple months old I think and was causing all sorts of trouble.

IMG_6217.jpeg

The baby gorilla was out and about this morning, she was only a few weeks old and had everybody's attention.

IMG_6232.jpeg

IMG_6238.jpeg

It was pretty neat to see her. I think they told us that the Dad was around the corner eating by himself, but also I'm thinking they usually have the males separated and on the other side of the bridge. Either way, fun to see such a small baby!

It took us almost a half hour in with the gorillas, then we decided to head over to Mount Everest. This was the first highlight of the trip for the kids. M decided that she was finally brave enough to try it and D hadn't stopped talking about it for months, since he was tall enough for it this trip.

We stopped for a couple photos as we walked over.

IMG_6240.jpeg

IMG_6241.jpeg

IMG_6242.jpeg

Still was a really nice day, no clouds, not too hot yet, and the crowds were still relatively low. Or everybody was in line for FOP. Here's a view heading toward Everest.

IMG_8018.jpeg

With our brave shoes on we were ready to give Mount Everest a go!

IMG_6244.jpeg

Come back to see if we get on, or if we get a NOT TODAY!

We got in line for Everest at 9:49, with hearts thumping it was posted as a 20 minute wait. The line moved pretty quickly until we got inside the rooms before the loading station. Then we stopped, for several minutes the line didn't move. After wondering what was going on the announcement was made.

The ride was down and would not be operating for an unknown period of time.

"Wait can we ride Everest?"

"Sorry kid, not today, but we'll get a fastpass I'm sure."

Which is exactly what happened. The walked us out the loading area dn scanned our Magic Bands with an anytime Fastpass. We held onto hope that it would only be down for an hour or so. There were other plans for the day so we trekked on through the morning. The heat was definitely starting to build with the humidity, and the decision was made for the Kali River Rapids.

After about a 30 minute wait we were ready to get WET!

IMG_6253.jpeg

IMG_6254.jpeg

Well, we didn't get it super wet, but the lady across from us got EVERYTHING! We were the right amount of wet to cool off and get Deb's favorite Disney treat, Dole Whips.

IMG_6255.jpeg

IMG_6256.jpeg

You can see in the picture that they were rapidly melting. It was a race against time to get them eaten, and time won.

After a nice refreshing treat it was time for another of Deb's favorites, Festival of the Lion King. The show was just getting ready to start and we walked right in an were seated a couple rows off the floor.

This show was always a favorite and we loved the audience participation. Several times I was the Warthog guy and got be that ladie "Lucky Day." But all of that stuff is gone for now, as were the flying trapeze monkeys.

IMG_6261.jpeg

So, it was a watered down version of the original, but still not too bad. Hopefully it goes back to how it used to be one day.

With Everest still not open we headed over to Dinosaur. D loves Dinosaurs and was excited to go see them! After debating about using our Fastpass for it, we decided not to. The wait was posted as 30 minutes and we were in line at 12:05. Actual wait was a few minutes less, and we were loading at 12:30. A few years ago I took M on the ride and she did not like it, but this year she wanted to try again.

IMG_6274.jpeg

After we got off the kids said it was great! Oh yea and the were hungry. Checked the app for Everest......

Still down, and after some debate on what to do but we decided on a lunch at the quick service next to the Dinosaur ride. We didn't want to get a big meal because we had a earlish dinner reservation at MK.

The kids split some chicken fingers and I had a burger, which I gave some of the to the kids too. Deb decided on a pretzel and we refilled our water bottles.

IMG_6276.jpeg

The other thing that will stick with me about this trip was that I carried around 4 full water bottles in my backpack everyday. Pounds of water in hydro flasks........Just as they got lighter and easy to carry, we filled them back up.

Now that we were done eating, D is asking about the pool and we were giving up hope for Everest. As we decided to head back to WL and swim, unbelievably, Everest is running again. Now the kids are pumped, and we walk all the way back over there, drenched in sweat we scanned those Magic Bands and got right on.

IMG_6278.jpeg

Some excited people right there!

We headed on our way to see the Yeti, and everything was going really smoothly, until we went backwards. D did not like that and he buried his head in my shoulder, then we got to where the track switches to forward and we waited...... and waited...... and waited...... for about 5 minutes we sat at the top of the hill. I thought they were going to have to come get us but finally we moved and went down the hill. D again, did not like the waiting or the drop. The picture from the ride has his head completely buried in my chest. But we made it off and he decided no more Everest...... Let's see if he stuck to that for the rest of the trip.

Now with Everest out of the way it was time to head back to WL and go for a swim. Let's see if the weather cooperated. Hint, the answer is in the title of this report.

Last edited:
Your meals at Whispering Canyon look so good. It's always a solid choice. I really love the red quinoa cakes there. Such a fun morning at AK. Glad you finally got on EE even though your littlest didn't totally love it. Hopefully you finally get some pool time although those pesky afternoon thunderstorms do get in the way!

Sounds like a great AK morning. Glad EE was back up and running for you guys before you left. It's my favorite coaster in WDW and sadly it will be closed when we go in February.

After we got dressed and ready we ordered our breakfast on the mobile app, then headed down to get it. I, for one, love the mobile ordering, and found it really convenient. Some mornings it was great to order, run down grab the food, then bring it up to the room and eat on the balcony. Plus skipping the line was key.
We used to do that all the time at Wilderness Lodge. It's super easy to do there with everything being semi-close together.

"Wait can we ride Everest?"

"Sorry kid, not today, but we'll get a fastpass I'm sure."

Which is exactly what happened.
That is the worst when they are anxious about the ride. At least you got the fast pass.

So, it was a watered down version of the original, but still not too bad. Hopefully it goes back to how it used to be one day.
It's sad that it has to be watered down. But like you said, hopefully it will be able to come back to it's full glory one day.

After we got off the kids said it was great!
YEAH!!! Dinoasour is so hit or miss.

Now that we were done eating, D is asking about the pool and we were giving up hope for Everest. As we decided to head back to WL and swim, unbelievably, Everest is running again. Now the kids are pumped, and we walk all the way back over there, drenched in sweat we scanned those Magic Bands and got right on.
YEAH!!!!

But we made it off and he decided no more Everest...... Let's see if he stuck to that for the rest of the trip.
My daughter did not like Everest the first time. It took her awhile to really like it.

Sounds like a good start to your day minus the wait for Everest. You got a lot accomplished! It helps to get an early start. We're treating our family to a Disney trip in March. I've already been told early starts won't be happening :confused3 I'll have to adjust....Hope your mid-day break is good even with no swimming.

Your meals at Whispering Canyon look so good. It's always a solid choice. I really love the red quinoa cakes there. Such a fun morning at AK. Glad you finally got on EE even though your littlest didn't totally love it. Hopefully you finally get some pool time although those pesky afternoon thunderstorms do get in the way!

The meals surprised us with how good they were, we weren't expecting it!

Sounds like a great AK morning. Glad EE was back up and running for you guys before you left. It's my favorite coaster in WDW and sadly it will be closed when we go in February.

As it turns out it was closed a lot the week we were there, but I'll get into that later!

My daughter did not like Everest the first time. It took her awhile to really like it.

Yep, key is "the first time" we'll get another opportunity in a couple days and see what they think about it.

Sounds like a good start to your day minus the wait for Everest. You got a lot accomplished! It helps to get an early start. We're treating our family to a Disney trip in March. I've already been told early starts won't be happening :confused3 I'll have to adjust....Hope your mid-day break is good even with no swimming.

My bet is we only have a few trips left with the early starts.

I always enjoy your trip reports - thanks for sharing another one.

Thanks for reading, I'm glad your enjoying this one!

Welcome back! It's Sunday which means I must have time for another post.

Continuing through our Sunday it was time to head back to Wilderness Lodge. D has his heart set on the pool, and it would be a nice cool down before we head to MK for our dinner.

One major problem, the thunderstorm that greeted us as we arrived at WL. So pool this afternoon?

"Not today, let's relax in the room until it passes," which we did. Once it blew over we didn't have time to swim and then change etc... before our ADR. We just decided to jump on a boat and head to MK.

IMG_6291.jpeg

I guess she thought she had to bring her purse for something..... It's probably full of fidgets.

The boat was there in no time and we jumped on for our quick cruise across the lake.

IMG_6292.jpeg

We sat in the back to massage our bottoms, and we are in MK in no time. Well, right in time for a Cavalcade.

IMG_6303.jpeg

Better than nothing I guess. Got our wave into Pluto, and whoever else was on the float and then started heading down Main Street.

IMG_6306.jpeg

The skies were still threatening rain, but it seemed to be holding off for now. It was really hot and humid thought, the pervious storm did nothing to cool it off.

Our ADR time was rapidly approaching, and the most manageable line on the app was POTC. We thought that would be perfect, get a quick ride in then eat. We stopped and saw the Captain before jumping in line.

IMG_6309.jpeg

He was great from afar, very much in character and interacted a little with everybody. Then in line, it said the wait was about 35 minutes, and we were out all the way near the entrance. We tried to see how fast it was going, then decided we'd be cutting it too close so we bailed on the line.

Now with not enough time to get a ride in, and it being too early to check in we were caught in no mans land...... The kids spotted the Swiss Family Tree House and that was a good way to kill about 5 minutes, but the view was nice.

IMG_6312.jpeg

Looks like the skies were starting to clear up. Or was that a trick? Also, you can see Tron in the distance looks like it's coming along.

When we got done with the tree house we were sweating and tired. We decided to go for the early check in and wait for a table. It did not work, they told us we could only check in 15 minutes early, good thing was it was only about 17 minutes early. We pulled up some curb and waited our two minutes then checked into Skipper Canteen!

IMG_6314.jpeg

In our opinion the best table service in MK, always good food and always a fun place to eat.

To add to this story I have a joke with Deb that I never am seated at a good table. Whenever we eat somewhere I'm assured a seat next to a bussing station, the kitchen doors, and exit, or in this case the entrance. We were the table to the immediate right or the entrance door. This means we got to hear the scripted hostess response when they asked every party "Is this your first time here?"

If they said "No"

"Have you ever eaten before," sometimes followed by "you'll be eating in the mess hall, sorry it's always a mess in here. Sorry about the stained glass windows, it doesn't matter how many times we wash them."

If the party said "Yes"

"Wow, I'm surprised you came back!" it did make us chuckle a few times, but we were there for the food, not the jokes.

We were hungry and ready to dig into our dinners.

IMG_6317.jpeg

Not before a selfie though. We ordered quickly, the kids got the Safari Snack as an appetizer, Cucumbers and Carrots served with a Cucumber-Yogurt Dip

IMG_6320.jpeg

Deb ordered us the Pao de Queijo, little balls of cheesy bread served alongside a poblano cream cheese and chimichurri sauce.

IMG_6319.jpeg

It was excellent! Might have been our favorite part of the meal!

Next up Entrees!

Happy Sunday! Let's finish up dinner and get into the rest of the evening to see if we get in the pool!

We tried to not eat all of the cheese balls with our entrees still to come, but they were so good. For dinner we told the kids to have steaks (they've had enough chicken fingers already).

IMG_8019.jpeg

Deb got Perkins Thai Noodles (with chicken)- Tofu, Seasonal Vegetables, and Rice Noodles tossed in a Spicy Soy-Chili-Garlic Sauce. A favorite of our friend Pamelia Perkins, Adventurer's Club President (Plant-based).

IMG_6321.jpeg

Finally I had Dr. Falls Signature Grilled Steak- Adobo-seasoned New York Strip, Chorizo Hash, Collard Greens with Caramelized Onion Purée, and Crispy Farofa.

IMG_6324.jpeg

All of the dishes were excellent; steaks were cooked really well, Deb enjoyed her noodles, and soon bellies were full and plates mostly empty. We opted to skip dessert so we could have Mickey Bars later.

Once we got back out to Adventureland it was sunny and D was asking for the pool. Deb wanted to stay and see some friends (who would join several times for the next few days), and M wanted to stay with Deb to meet a new Disfriend! Also they were wanting to see HEA, which is one of a few viewings this week.

Easy enough, Deb took Michaela to stay in MK and I took D back to Wilderness Lodge to swim..... kinda. We threw on our bathing suits walked down to the pool to find it empty. then the inevitable rumble of thunder came, and I checked the radar on my phone.

IMG_8020.jpeg

OK, pool dreams squashed again I asked D what he wanted to do. He had spotted the arcade on the way to the bus yesterday and mentioned going there. I couldn't say no at this point, and off to the arcade we went.

I figured this was about to cost an arm and a leg for a couple games, but the pricing was actually not too bad. Ten dollars brought us something like 1500 points and most games were 50-60 points or something. After reminding him to keep sanitizing his hands we made our way around the little arcade.

We started with some mini-golf,

IMG_8021.jpeg

and some driving,

IMG_8022.jpeg

Then I beat him in a couple games of air hockey

IMG_8024.jpeg

Then he finished off with a few games of riding a motorcycle into a mountainside, which he loved!

IMG_8026.jpeg

We left with enough points still on our card for another visit. Then it was time for some dessert. We headed over to the store and grabbed everybody's favorite Mickey Bars!

D thoroughly enjoyed his,

LRQU4618.jpeg

Crazy that the ground is completely dry around D, because it never actually stormed...... just some rumbles of thunder and the pool was closed because, according to the lifeguard, the storm on the radar was too close for them to open.

We headed up to our room and after attempt #1 for D to go to bed, he heard the fireworks, so we watched them. Then attempt #2 was interrupted by the Electric Water Pageant. Finally time for attempt #3 when he fell asleep and take 2 of the Electric Water Pageant didn't wake him up.

Meanwhile in MK Deb and M were crossing their todos off their list. Here's a sneak peak.

IMG_6325.jpeg

More to come!

It's so frustrating when the pool is closed for thunder in the area. The rules are so strict! But it looks like you had an awesome time at the arcade and of course, a Mickey bar makes everything better!

D and M certainly look like they had a wonderful evening at MK!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter