Can Someone please help explain the free meal deal?

Tigger031266

DIS Veteran
So I heard free meals in Aug and Sept. The same meal plan as the $37 plan (Counter, table and...),

So my questions:
Is it for everyone or just dvc?
How do I find out more?
Where do I sign up?
Why would disney give out $37* 4 people * 5 days = $750 savings per trip?

This just sounds to good of a deal :confused3

It does not apply to DVC. You have to buy it through CRO, including full price room, at least 1 day MYW ticket.

It's just another way of promoting a discount. Rather than offering a percentage off the room, they are throwing in the dining plan but you pay full price for the room.

Another name for the plan: "Kids are back in school - hurricanes are comin' - Let's fill up the remaining vacant rooms - Free Dining - Rack Rate plus tickets" Plan

Deb & Bill said:
Another name for the plan: "Kids are back in school - hurricanes are comin' - Let's fill up the remaining vacant rooms - Free Dining - Rack Rate plus tickets" Plan

Exactly :lmao:

Deb & Bill said:

LOL
Ain't it the truth!!

Deb & Bill said:

Exactly!

Hey it worked great for DH's Extravagant Birthday Trip II. 3 nights at Pop and 1 day tickets (still in the drawer -- we had APs). Ate at Teppanyaki (when you could still order anything from the menu) and California Grill (may I recommend the Wine Room)-- tab would have been at least $140 there! This year it won't tempt me; we're coming for 4 nights during F&W, and maybe MNSSHP too.

Nope, Disney wants all your money, your payment for your dues, your maintenance fees, and now the Dining Plan. They ain't giving you nuthin' for free. Besides someone posted we were all rich anyway. ;)

Sammie said:
Nope, Disney wants all your money, your payment for your dues, your maintenance fees, and now the Dining Plan. They ain't giving you nuthin' for free. Besides someone posted we were all rich anyway. ;)

Wow, I didn't know I was rich.

Deb & Bill said:

With the added bonus of making sure that you don't do anything offsite. Even with the dining plan being free people will feel guilty about not using up all of their points. The whole dining plan has been a master stroke of marketing.

bpmorley said:
So this is no good for DVC. That sucks

But it DOES work for DVC, just not on points.

You could get a Studio at BWV for one night for about 9 points (approximately $40 in dues, or about $60-$70 total cost if you include the Membership purchase price previously paid (prorated over the life of the contract)), and buy your own meal somewhere, OR....

You could reserve the room for one night through CRO for $340 ($305 rack rate plus tax), and get a 'free' meal.

The choice is still yours.

Caskbill said:
But it DOES work for DVC, just not on points.

You could get a Studio at BWV for one night for about 9 points (approximately $40 in dues, or about $60-$70 total cost if you include the Membership purchase price previously paid (prorated over the life of the contract)), and buy your own meal somewhere, OR....

You could reserve the room for one night through CRO for $340 ($305 rack rate plus tax), and get a 'free' meal.

... plus they'd also need to buy at least a 1day MYW pass with that "Free Dining" package - add another $63 plus tax! ;)

Caskbill said:
.......(snip).....You could get a Studio at BWV for one night for about 9 points (approximately $40 in dues, or about $60-$70 total cost if you include the Membership purchase price previously paid (prorated over the life of the contract)), and buy your own meal somewhere, OR....

Not quite true. If you book room for cash through CRO, you can't get the Dining Plan (free or otherwise) unless you also buy at least a 1 day/1 park MYW ticket and stay for a minimum number of nights at rack rate - Not sure if the minimum is still 3 nights or if Disney has upped it to 5.

No ticket requirement and no minimum stay to add the DP to a DVC resort points ressie. You do have to pay for the DP, though.

bpmorley said:
So this is no good for DVC. That sucks
Maybe not. Is it better to get the DP for free? Or better to spend less for your total vacation as a whole?

Best wishes -

As a recent purchaser into DVC it did seem odd that they do not have more tangible benefits for DVC members?

The obvious short sighted answer is they got your money.... but in the long run it is cheaper to offer old small token / loyalty perks to DVC members (doesn't have to be free meals.. it could be priorty dinner reservations, line access, birthday club, etc.).

The boards are all fast to point out the room rate, but you need to factor in all the variables of unused points, inflation, pre-purchase dividands, etc... it is a many years before you breakeven IF you use 100% of your points the most efficient way (at DVC only) --- thus the age old rent vs. buy debate.

In the end, we buy for personal reasons (I did...), but it is not a money issue, I wish Disney would recognize the loyalty we provide. (PS> if they can do the discount on AP, surely they can do it on other items).

Boas said:
As a recent purchaser into DVC it did seem odd that they do not have more tangible benefits for DVC members?

The obvious short sighted answer is they got your money.... but in the long run it is cheaper to offer old small token / loyalty perks to DVC members (doesn't have to be free meals.. it could be priorty dinner reservations, line access, birthday club, etc.).

The boards are all fast to point out the room rate, but you need to factor in all the variables of unused points, inflation, pre-purchase dividands, etc... it is a many years before you breakeven IF you use 100% of your points the most efficient way (at DVC only) --- thus the age old rent vs. buy debate.

In the end, we buy for personal reasons (I did...), but it is not a money issue, I wish Disney would recognize the loyalty we provide. (PS> if they can do the discount on AP, surely they can do it on other items).
Actually...the opening up of the dining plan IS a direct result of Disney responding to the concerns raised by DIS members on these very boards. Some of our members complained, they listened, and now we have the dining plan.

Another tangible benefit -- and there are a lot of them -- is the big discount off Annual Passes. Most of us spend enough time at WDW to make APs the right choice, and we get a great discount on those. I saved $200 on that one alone on Friday.

I think as you get more accustomed to DVC, you will see that there are a LOT of benefits above and beyond the use of our points. I would never suggest that someone buy DVC for the benefits (because they are all subject to change), and not every one fits every member's situation perfectly...but there are a lot of benefits.

If you haven't already done so, go to the member's website and check out the listing to see what works best for your family.

DebbieB said:
It does not apply to DVC. You have to buy it through CRO, including full price room, at least 1 day MYW ticket.

It's just another way of promoting a discount. Rather than offering a percentage off the room, they are throwing in the dining plan but you pay full price for the room.

No doubt. We went at the end of September last year. I could not figure out why it was so darn busy. Not as bad as July, but it was close. I had to ask a cast member what was going on, and he explained the dining plan to me. The only reason I would ever consider again was the halloween party nights that time of year. That was a great experience and worth the money for the limited admission to Magic Kingdom. My daughter still talks about it.

Well, a friend of mine has made ressies for Sept using the free dining plan and has asked me to join her.

Even tho I own at BWV...she made a ressie at POP for 6 nights. She had to get a 1 day ticket which she will apply to the price of her AP for full credit.
She said that the price for the two of us with the dining Plan for 6 nights was jjsut under $600. Which means that for $50bucks a day I get a room and my meals. Not sure how this is possible, because if the dining plan is $38, it means that the room is costing us $12 each a night.

I'm going the first week in October, so adding on mid Sept is really self indulgent BUT....that is just too good a deal to pass up!

Boas said:

Don't buy DVC for the perks. The benefits currently are better than they've been since the original free park pass days (a brief and wonderful time that the old timers wax eloquently about). They are giving you something for your loyalty - a great room at a great price.

As a Disney stockholder, I sort of wish Disney wouldn't be so free at giving away my profits - maybe my stock would do something or pay dividends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter