Can I change my assigned room after booking?

I hope that the Captain (or whoever is in charge of itinerary) can maybe switch a sea day for a CC day if that were to occur :confused:

It depends on what is available. There are times there simply isn't another day to move it to either because of the ship schedule (many cruises have Castaway as the final day - nowhere else to put it; or there are no sea days remaining and they are not going to play dominos with other ports) or Castaway's schedule (especially in the winter season, there is a ship scheduled almost every day - WAY too many dominos to play with trying to make one change just to accommodate another).

They don't WANT to miss it and skipping it is not a decision the captain takes lightly, but sometimes they have to. Safety comes first. (And your cruise contract does state that the itinerary and ports can be changed without notice based on conditions.)

Depends if another Disney ship is scheduled for Castaway Cay the day your cruise has the sea day. I believe they'd get priority.

Yep. And as I just said, many times Castaway is the last day on the itinerary. Nothing to do then.

Castaway's schedule (especially in the winter season, there is a ship scheduled almost every day - WAY too many dominos to play with trying to make one change just to accommodate another).

Makes me wonder: what are they going to do once the other two ships are built?

Makes me wonder: what are they going to do once the other two ships are built?

They could redeploy one or two elsewhere.

Or 4 of the ships do 7-night itineraries and 1 does a 3-night and a 4-night - that would allow a ship each day.

They aren't stupid and are likely already working on plans.

Makes sense! But I wonder how often they do the lifeboats drill - since nothing ever seems to happen that they need to use them !

Thank God for that, by the way!

Pretty much every port day they will have a lifeboat down in the water or at least lower them.
Most sea days too the security guys you see on the gangway are in them doing maintenance, checking supplies, cleaning, checking cables.

Someone is doing something to those lifeboats pretty much every day.

I hope that the Captain (or whoever is in charge of itinerary) can maybe switch a sea day for a CC day if that were to occur :confused:

They do if they can. But out of going through around 10-15 missed castaways, I only saw it happen once. Castaway became a sea day, sea day became Nassau and Nassau became Castaway.
It was very confusing. Haha.

They could redeploy one or two elsewhere.

Or 4 of the ships do 7-night itineraries and 1 does a 3-night and a 4-night - that would allow a ship each day.

They aren't stupid and are likely already working on plans.

Also keep in mind that Disney has already looked at one island as a second location, and I'm sure they're looking into other islands/locations as well. I'm more of a mind that Wonder or Magic could get sent to the West Coast semi-permanently, though, depending on what they see in their current West Coast usage. I don't see them moving a ship to Asia permanently, but I could see one of the ships doing Asia part of the year and then West Coast/Alaska during the summer. That's for another thread, though. ;)

Also keep in mind that Disney has already looked at one island as a second location, and I'm sure they're looking into other islands/locations as well. I'm more of a mind that Wonder or Magic could get sent to the West Coast semi-permanently, though, depending on what they see in their current West Coast usage. I don't see them moving a ship to Asia permanently, but I could see one of the ships doing Asia part of the year and then West Coast/Alaska during the summer. That's for another thread, though. ;)

This would be awesome!!! Doesn't carnival or RCCL have two private destination islands? I know they are bigger cruise companies... but apparently Iger said at the last earnings call, cruises were up in sales and profits so perhaps Disney is figuring out that cruises are worth the investment.... another private Disney island would be amazing

This would be awesome!!! Doesn't carnival or RCCL have two private destination islands? I know they are bigger cruise companies... but apparently Iger said at the last earnings call, cruises were up in sales and profits so perhaps Disney is figuring out that cruises are worth the investment.... another private Disney island would be amazing

I think RCCL has a private island and a beach on a coast of Haiti.

Carnival Corp has Amber Cove which is an area on the coast of the DR. Not really a beach though. I think they have at least one island...but they have a LOT of companies under their umbrella - I think (but am not sure) that some of the lines might have their own. Pretty sure there is a Princess Cay...

Doesn't carnival or RCCL have two private destination islands?
Private islands:
Castaway Cay - Disney
Coco Cay - Royal Caribbean
Great Stirrup Cay - Norwegian (also used by Oceania)
Princess Cays - Princess (also used by Carnival and Costa)
Half Moon Cay - Holland America (also used by Carnival)
Labadee (in Haiti not an island) - Royal Caribbean (also used by Azamara)

Private islands:
Castaway Cay - Disney
Coco Cay - Royal Caribbean
Great Stirrup Cay - Norwegian (also used by Oceania)
Princess Cays - Princess (also used by Carnival and Costa)
Half Moon Cay - Holland America (also used by Carnival)
Labadee (in Haiti not an island) - Royal Caribbean (also used by Azamara)

And Amber Cove (in the DR, not a separate island) - can be used by all ships under the Carnival umbrella (at least Carnival, Princess, and Holland...)

Edit to ask... Is Roatan a port in and of itself or a cruise line creation a la Amber Cove?

And Amber Cove (in the DR, not a separate island) - can be used by all ships under the Carnival umbrella (at least Carnival, Princess, and Holland...)

Edit to ask... Is Roatan a port in and of itself or a cruise line creation a la Amber Cove?
Well, it's been an island (populated) since at least the 1500s. It was often a base for various pirates, and when Britain abolished slavery in the mid 1800s large numbers of people from primarily Jamaica and Cayman Islands came. In the late 1800s the population grew. Then, in the 20th century a population boom began with an influx of Spanish-speaking Mestizo migrants from the Honduran mainland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roatán

Well, it's been an island (populated) since at least the 1500s. It was often a base for various pirates, and when Britain abolished slavery in the mid 1800s large numbers of people from primarily Jamaica and Cayman Islands came. In the late 1800s the population grew. Then, in the 201th century a population boom began with an influx of Spanish-speaking Mestizo migrants from the Honduran mainland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roatán

Thanks! I wasn't sure.

FWIW, Princess Cays is a misnomer. It's a tiny little batch of cabanas, shops and other stuff on a peninsula on Eleuthera, which itself is about 110 or so miles long. It's not really an island per se.

I just changed my room today. My entire family was on the starboard of the ship while I was on the port. Then I read a bunch of reviews saying that the best views were on the starboard side. So I snatched the last room in the category I had on the starboard side :cutie:

I just changed my room today. My entire family was on the starboard of the ship while I was on the port. Then I read a bunch of reviews saying that the best views were on the starboard side. So I snatched the last room in the category I had on the starboard side :cutie:

Depends on what you're looking for. I like port side because I watch the dock hands as we back into Castaway Cay and can watch the employees commuting to and from Abaco. I can see Cape Canaveral and the sub turning basin as we depart. On a Western I can see Cuba from our verandah as we pass by. (We could see Havana clearly on our last trip). In St. Thomas we've always faced toward Charlotte Amalie instead of Havensight Mall. In Sint Maarten we were facing the harbor instead of other cruise ships.

Last edited:
Pretty much every port day they will have a lifeboat down in the water or at least lower them.
Most sea days too ....... Someone is doing something to those lifeboats pretty much every day.

Wow!! I had not noticed this :sail:. they put in more work than I realized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter