Can anyone recommend what my mom and I will need for my dad when he is out of the hospital?

My dad is still doing well and now he's being treated like a king because now he gets his favorite foods after he does his therapy sessions and he is very cheerful and upbeat and tomorrow Dad is gonna use power bands and is still a trooper. But now I want to ask anyone if and how Mom and I can send a package directly to the hospital since Mom and I can't be at the hospital with Dad due to pandemic rules. We looked into Doordash but they don't deliver to businesses like hospitals and I wonder if the hospital has people that can do shopping for him to get Dad things he needs. Do hospitals have volunteers that do shopping errands and other stuff for patients?
Glad to hear it sounds like he is progressing well (and being treated like a king!)
I worked in a Long Term Acute Care hospital until recently (Acute care hospital, not nursing home). We received mailed packages for patients because of how long they were in, but sometimes packages arrived after the patient left. Our volunteers could sometimes take medically stable patients to the hospital gift shop to purchase things, but could not purchase anything from outside for patients.
They may have volunteers who can do errands like mailing or bring around games or other diversions for patients to borrow; the hospital might also have a Recreational Therapy Department - more common in Rehab or Long Term Acute Care than Short Term Acute Care (regular hospitals).

I‘d suggest asking Volunteer Services, his primary care Nurse or Social Worker what they might have available

My dad just started his therapy today and tomorrow will be his first day doing his exercises but Mom and I haven't gotten told when Dad will come home but I hope it will be next week. The only car my parents have is a Chevrolet Avalanche. But we are gonna try to see if we can get a wheelchair ramp and walker for Dad when he gets home
Thank you so much for caring Lanejudy I am extremely grateful for your kindness and all I want is for Dad to be home so bad
Dodger
Is it possible to get an larger uber for his trip home? I know nothing about uber/lyft, but just that different size cars cost different amounts.

Hi Disneymama,
Dad is doing great but now my mom and I are having trouble getting Dad home because he is very unhappy and wishes he could be with us again and it hasn't been easy because Mom and I have been dealing with storms and rain and wind and we are hoping Dad comes home tomorrow because I have been missing Dad a lot and all I want is to see Dad home again with Mom and me
Good to hear from you,
Dodger

Dad is finally gonna get his wheelchair on Friday but my mom and I are still waiting to get him his walker but Dad is doing very well and we have put him in the living room where he usually hangs out and he's being a real trooper and we are also trying to get a permit from our real estate agent to put a ramp in our backyard. But we have been busy shopping for what Dad needs since last Friday and it's been busy and hectic for my mom and me but we're hanging in there

This afternoon we finally had a wheelchair ramp installed for Dad in our house today and Mom and I got the permit from our real estate agent to do it but we had to call a good friend of Dad's to do it for us and he did it so very easy and it's on our entrance and it's easy for Dad to use in his wheelchair. Now all we need is the wheelchair taxi for Dad's doctor appointment on Wednesday
Dodger

There are wheelchair accessible options in most cities. They are not free, but are not any more expensive than the non-accessible options from the same company.

Lyft has wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAV) in some areas. This link to the Lyft website tells how to search and schedule if your area has them.
That link also explains that if your wheelchair can be folded, you can use a regular Lyft AND that if you need a WAV and they don’t have any in your area, they will help you to find one in your area.

Uber also has WAVs in some areas. This link to the Uber page about WAVs gives information on how to check if they are available in your area. They do point out that if the wheelchair can be folded, you can use a regular Uber.

Most Taxi companies also have some WAVs. They may not be listed in a prominent place on their website, so you may have to call. Again, if the wheelchair can be folded, you can use a regular taxi.

I don’t know how old your dad is, but most cities and counties have a Senior Center or department for Senior Services. They usually have some options for transportation to doctor visits for minimal charge, but they usually need to be scheduled well in advance. If they don’t have WAVs, they should be able to help you find one.

Other places to check if they can help you find resources:
- your county Social Services
- county or city Public Health
- the doctor‘s office
- Social Work or Patient Advocate at the Rehab Facility he was at

If he has insurance or a Medicare Supplement policy, many pay for transportation to medical visits, either regular transport or WAV.
They are not likely to pay more for transport via a medical service WAV unless his condition is unstable enough that he actually needs a medical service WAV. Those are much more expensive

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter