Campfire Rules at FW

mjfisherdc

Mouseketeer
My DH was all onboard to possibly camp at FW next Halloween, until I told him that I didn't think he could have a camp fire.

His reply was "no campfire, no camping"

What are the regulations for a campfire at FW?

You can bring in your own fully enclosed fire pit, but I believe you still need to respect the burn bans if one is in place. Honestly, when we're at Disney, we don't have time for a fire.

Yep, what Kristina said, right down to our not having time to do one, lol! We try to hit the group campfire as often as we can, but we never even get to do that one as often as we'd like...too busy! I think every time we've been to the Fort there's been a burn ban in effect, too.

Theres just to much other great things there to have one thing stop you from going, you could always have a small fire in the provided grill, and they do have a group campfire every evening. If you get him there he wont miss the campfire. We started in1973 and have never stopped...

Here is a thread with the Disney-approved fire pits:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824383&highlight=approved+fire+pits

Tell DH, from me as someone else's DH to him, that his "no fire no camping" policy is fine if you are at a state park in the middle of nowhere or in remote forest lands. But you'll probably be doing something in the evenings (given all the choices available) that he won't want to sit for 2-3 hours minding a fire.

He'll come around once he gets to the Fort.

Bama ED

Add me to the group that never would have time for a camp fire even if they were allowed. We reserve that for camping in the Smoky Mountains ;)

Just another opinion, hope it helps! Ditto again that there is little time for a campfire!! Unless... you are coming for major FW time. We've been blessed to have visited Disney so many times that when we recenly became campers we planned days just to relax and enjoy the Fort. On these days we may even have a campfire in the morning also!

We are fairly new campers and my DH also Loves a campfire and i beleive he may have even said the same thing. However he knew my new found love of camping and mixing it with Disney World :cloud9: was no match and we just had to give it a try!! A day or 2 before we left we found a completely enclosed pagota-looking firepit at Big Lots that does the trick!! ::yes:: for less then $50 and we've brought it back every trip since. When we are finished we just clean it out as best we can, wrap it in a blue tarp, bungee chord around it and it goes back in the garage until our next FW trip.

P.S. OMG after that 1st Fort Wilderness trip we were hooked!! At the time my DH was actually getting a lil Disney burned out (imagine such a thing :laughing:) but the Fort was just what he needed! So much so that He actually convinced 13 of our non-Disney friends to join us for Easter camping at the Fort!! :yay: Family bike riding (our fav. is to bike over to Wilderness Lodge and just look at the tee-pee!) ourdoor movies, the pool and games for the kids, a simple game of teether ball and soooo much more!! :goodvibes:goodvibes I hope to see a post from you soon asking what to pack for a 1st time trip to Fort Wilderness!! :wizard:

So it's Halloween and here in SW Louisiana its in the 80's AND we just had a front. A campfire may be too toasty anyway.

Octwelcomepackage-fire-pits.jpg

Wow, that's even more restrictive than I would have guessed...didn't know about the solid top requirement.

Theres just to much other great things there to have one thing stop you from going, you could always have a small fire in the provided grill, and they do have a group campfire every evening. If you get him there he wont miss the campfire. We started in1973 and have never stopped...

Pretty sure its posted in the FW rules that the grills are only for charcoal, so no wood fires.

Having an open fire in the charcoal grill is a BIG no-no! Would be no different there than on the ground - too much danger there of embers, etc. escaping. Must be an mesh enclosed, solid top campfire. ::yes::

We just got back from there two days ago. My husband went to the trouble of building a small fire in the grill, but ran out of time to actually fire it up. I guess it's good, since we didn't see the rule about no fire in the grill. We have a firepit at home, but it's one of the mesh ones, so I'm going on a hunt for the closed top ones for next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter