Camera stolen while onboard

After reading this thread, I will definitely start traveling with multiple SD cards.

I ALWAYS use multiple SD cards - PROs do the same. Not in case you loose the camera, but an SD card (and will eventually) go bad.

Make a habit of either using one a day or transferring the contents to a laptop or iPad - the camera connection kit is a well worth $30 investment if you have an iPad.

Now those of you who take pictures with an iPad - please don't...

I've also had the misfortune of having my camera "disappear". Right after my Alaska cruise. I was so excited about the pictures I took. My friend who went with me on the cruise, made me a photobook from Shutterfly of her pictures. As nice as that was, it still isn't the same... I look at the book and still wish I had my pictures. I don't understand why people do that! Take the camera... I don't care about that, but at least anonymously drop the SD card off at guest services. Lie... say you found it! Hell, you're already stealing, what does being a liar add! :sad2:

This won't help with the lost pictures, but if you had trip insurance, you can recoup the cost of the camera, the case, the memory cards, etc. I know this the hard way......camera stolen from the airport on the way home from Hawaii.

I ALWAYS use multiple SD cards - PROs do the same. Not in case you loose the camera, but an SD card (and will eventually) go bad.

Make a habit of either using one a day or transferring the contents to a laptop or iPad - the camera connection kit is a well worth $30 investment if you have an iPad.

Funny! :rotfl: It always amazes me when I see people using their ipad as a camera on vacation.

I don't know about a camera connection kit. I will look into this.

cypressmom said:
Funny! :rotfl: It always amazes me when I see people using their ipad as a camera on vacation.

I don't know about a camera connection kit. I will look into this.

The connection kit fits in the docking port and is two pieces, one for an SD card, the other for a USB cable to allow connection of non SD cameras. It's great for clearing cards, backing up the pics, and viewing pics on a bigger screen. It's a must have on vacations.

Pair it with Photo Stream or a service like Dropbox or Carbonite, and you won't ever lose a picture. (Although when cruising, the issue with those services is the price/speed of wifi on the ship.)

Make a habit of either using one a day or transferring the contents to a laptop

Yup, I'm always up late at night moving all our photos and videos off cameras onto a laptop every night of our trips. Just hope nobody grabs the laptop...

:rotfl2:

That goes double to those who are shooting video of kid performances with an iPad. iPads aren't good windows for the people behind you who want to see something other than your arms and your kid :furious:

Not only is the multiple memory card good as a safety measure, it's a quick way to organize your pics when importing them.

There is a device that allows you to transfer photos directly from a camera to an iPad??? Genius! Suggestions as to quality products?

We had a very expensive camera stolen from a hotel safe a long time ago and just got reimbursed a fraction of its worth. I also lost a camera in a NYC cab. Although I have a nice camera now, I like my cell phone camera as the pictures are on the cloud. It's just a shame we can never trust anyone or any place.

I am so sorry to hear! Someone stole our camera at DHS on my son's first trip to Disney. I know how you feel. That was back in the day, before digital camera's. I ended up buying a disposable, but all those pics were lost and we only had 1 more day.

It amazes me that people can afford an expensive vacation, but feel the need to steal.

Miz Diz said:
I am so sorry to hear! Someone stole our camera at DHS on my son's first trip to Disney. I know how you feel. That was back in the day, before digital camera's. I ended up buying a disposable, but all those pics were lost and we only had 1 more day.

It amazes me that people can afford an expensive vacation, but feel the need to steal.

Stealing is probably how the afforded the cruise in the first place.

I'm sorry about your pictures. I lost an sd card once with 6 months of pictures- I just felt sick about it.
One tip that I have not seen mentioned yet that may help someone in the future.- write your name/address and cell phone number(I also added my stateroom number for the cruise) on a piece of paper before the cruise or other trip and I took a picture of the piece of paper. When the thief or person who would find it turns on the camera you would see all of that information when scrolling through the pics.
Maybe they would have a change of heart and at least mail the SD card-one can hope anyway.

Well, if its any consolation, sharing your loss sounds like it is going to help a lot of people avoid the same given the responses posted to this thread. It doesn't make up for having your camera stolen, but it is helping others plan for such a loss.

I lost a camera on a beach vacation and have altered my behavior ever since - I don't use SD cards with tons of memory because if you lose one, you potentially lose tons of photos (as was true in my case) and I try to download the photos to my laptop every day or so in case I would lose one. So sorry for your loss but thanks for posting the reminder to be careful with our cameras.

I use the apple camera adapter to backup pictures to my iPad every night on vacation, or more if I have a moment. That way my pictures are saved in 2 places until I get home.

I have no experience with this but please if anyone is interested in purchasing this make sure with the apple store that you can use this to do what you want to do. I have heard it has a lot of limitations. Also remember you need enough space free on your iPad to store the photos you have on your camera. Most people now have 4GB or 8GB memory cards in their camera. If you have a 16GB iPad you will only be able to get 3 4GB cards on your device if it is near empty. Please make sure you have enough room given your camera usage. I am an extreme user but I would fill my iPad's available space in about 2 days on vacation and I have a 32GB iPad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter