Calling all teachers! I need advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
For employers that are backwards with their time off policies I see lying as a form of protest and have warned my kids that if they do the same they should be willing to accept the consequences which could be as severe as termination.
The bolded is the key. I personally don't like taking kids out of school for vacation. If someone wants to, go ahead, but simply accept whatever consequences there are. Don't make the argument that going on vacation is "educational" and should be allowed. LIFE is "educational".

There are public schools that don’t allow unexcused absences? I’ve never heard of that, how does that work?
My son's school had a very strict absence policy. And it worked fairly simply.
If it's doctor, dentist, eye doctor, court, illness, severe weather, or death in the family related it's excused. If it's a Disney vacation, it's not. And if you rack up enough unexcused absences, the truancy officers pay you a visit. There is also a way for a waiver to be granted. But you have to apply for it in writing 2 weeks prior.

Former teacher here. I never gave out work to be completed while a student was absent unless they were on homebound instruction (if they had an extended illness, operation, etc.). In my school unexcused absences earned a 0 for any assignments. If the absence was excused the student had a limited time to hand in the missing work. If they were absent for two days, they had two days to hand in the work and make up any assessments. All work was given the day the student returned to class. This was pre-Google classroom, so none of my assignments were posted online.

Keep in mind if the student has to make up a text, quiz, etc., they will miss more class time for that. Any assignments given when the student was taking the makeup test were due by the regular deadline. We didn't give any extensions for those assignments.

As a parent I avoided taking my kids out of school after kindergarten for vacations for these reasons.

My son's school had a very strict absence policy. And it worked fairly simply.
If it's doctor, dentist, eye doctor, court, illness, severe weather, or death in the family related it's excused. If it's a Disney vacation, it's not. And if you rack up enough unexcused absences, the truancy officers pay you a visit. There is also a way for a waiver to be granted. But you have to apply for it in writing 2 weeks prior.

Yes, it appears from the responses that some states do have stricter guidelines than others, namely CA. I'm thankful mine doesn't.

The bolded is the key. I personally don't like taking kids out of school for vacation. If someone wants to, go ahead, but simply accept whatever consequences there are. Don't make the argument that going on vacation is "educational" and should be allowed. LIFE is "educational".

Why should there be consequences?

Why should there be consequences?
It depends on what the state, school district, school, or teacher policies are. If they say "take all the time you want, no consequences", then there are none. If they have a policy regarding ANY unexcused absences, then you follow that. If they have a policy after 'x' days of unexcused absences, then you follow that.

Here's another example...
Oldest DD's 8th grade year. The following year they move into the HS. We planned a trip to Disney two weeks after school was scheduled to be out. Because of the amount of snow days (this was before online and NTI "learning"), they ended up extending the year two weeks. DD was going to end up missing the last two days of school. We talked to the Principal. He had no problem "excusing" the vacation. All good, right? No work to make up/do, everything's hunky dory.

When she started HS, she got put in a "basic" math class. OK, no big deal. We found out about 9 weeks in, they had sent out a note (via the teachers) those last two days of 8th grade giving the students the option of taking "advanced" math their Freshman year. Since we never got the notification, we never replied with an interest. The school system just assumed we weren't interested. She ended up doubling up in math her Sophomore year to "catch up" with the advanced kids. There was a lot of stress that year. It would have been so much better to get that advanced math class done Freshman year. Did we raise a fuss with the school? I mean they could have followed up, right? Nope. We "took our lumps" and just went on.

You might not see it as extra work but I know my wife, a teacher, would see it as extra work.

She might not have planned out that far in advance. You are asking the teacher to modify and bend their planning to accommodate your needs.

Even if the work is planned it might not be work that is easily done outside the classroom. In that case you are asking the teacher to accommodate your needs with a specially adapted assignment.
Aren‘t most lesson plans at this point “canned” online. I know my son graduated two years ago, but most if not all of his classes were available digitally in one form or another.

After Covid you would think employers and schools would have smartened up and realized that it is better to have flexible time off policies but I don't think many learned that lesson. Sometimes people just need a day off for mental health but some employers would not see that as a valid use under their policies. Sometimes you are sick and should not go to work but not sick enough to go to a doctor and waste your money and the doctors time. For employers that are backwards with their time off policies I see lying as a form of protest and have warned my kids that if they do the same they should be willing to accept the consequences which could be as severe as termination.
Interesting thoughts. Here Covid is kind of the reason schools and employers have tightened up on attendance because it seemed to the powers to be that soooo much was lost because employees and students were not present.

I always just sent in a please excuse my kids absences due to illness note.
Here depending on the school (meaning elementary, middle, high) and the district that has a limit where a doctor's note is needed.

For example the elementary school 2 streets away from me 0-5 days per semester illness is no documentation needed, 6 or more need a doctor's note in order to be considered excused otherwise it would count as unexcused. So one would want to be careful about lying for the reason, we all know young kids get sick often enough and a doctor's note could be a big hassle or cost money depending on the doctor's office.

Aren‘t most lesson plans at this point “canned” online. I know my son graduated two years ago, but most if not all of his classes were available digitally in one form or another.
Not here.

The overall curriculum is provided but how it is taught is up to the teacher and is customized for the students in that class that year.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts. Here Covid is kind of the reason schools and employers have tightened up on attendance because it seemed to the powers to be that soooo much was lost because employees and students were not present.
On the school level my state did put a limit on how many remote days a student can have but not really tightened up attendance policies. However as a consequence to that limit of remote days it restricts the amount of times a school may have used that in lieu of a snow day as in they weigh that decision to go remote vs cancel class with the law in place.

OUr school district policy is that teachers are not obligated to give work that will be missed due to vacation. Our school(s) also count a vacation absent as not excused and only allowed to have like 4 the entire school year.

On the school level my state did put a limit on how many remote days a student can have but not really tightened up attendance policies. However as a consequence to that limit of remote days it restricts the amount of times a school may have used that in lieu of a snow day as in they weigh that decision to go remote vs cancel class with the law in place.
It seems here, the school districts in the Foothills have almost eliminated snow days (which usually are really icy road days, not snow days) because they just switch to remote instruction days since almost every school district here gives students laptops to take home. Not aware of any limits on how many remote days they can have.
I think the one issue many school districts here are still trying to figure out, is the students that just vaporized during the pandemic. Kids who never made the transition from in person learning to remote learning. Never picked up a laptop, and when in person learning returned, they never returned.

Businesses need to stop treating their employees like impetuous children and instead treat them with respect and as adults.

The pandemic showed very clearly that if you are sick you should stay home. You staying home is best way to reduce the spread of whatever it is you have.

Yet companies quickly fell back into their old ways of punishing people for calling in sick or making the whole process an ordeal.

Mandatory sick days should be legislated but the business lobby is way to rich and powerful to allow such legislation to pass and take the power away from the employer.

because they just switch to remote instruction
Yeah that was why they put the law in place to curb over reliance on it, chief point being the gold standard is in person instruction as opposed to the yoyo that necessity drove early on in the pandemic. The school district my house is in partnered up with a virtual school for fall 2021 so parents could still be connected to the district but have their kids 100% remote. It lasted only until the end of 2021-2022 school year before costs and low enrollment made it just not feasible so it was shuttered. Costs were appearantly $2.7million to run with about 1% enrollment.

I think in my state people moved to home school (which counts as private here), private institutions or online schools.

You would think so. From these boards, however, I have learned, a lot of lesson planning is far less structured that I would assume it is, and to be honest, shocked it isn't. I mean, I remember in public school, if a teacher was out sick, the substitute just taught from the lesson plan book. Of course, I never knew how far in advance those lesson plan books were assembled for.
My kids were in one of the 180 or so Nobel Learning Community schools (private, for profit schools) and the teacher was provided with a lesson plan, day by day, for the entire year. Every student in the same grade was learning the same thing, on the same day in all 180ish campuses. But they marketed heavily to parents who had jobs that had frequent location transfers. Their children left their old school on Friday, moved 3,000 miles away, and Monday started at a new campus with the exact same lesson they would have gotten that day if they hadn't moved.

Yeah that was why they put the law in place to curb over reliance on it, chief point being the gold standard is in person instruction as opposed to the yoyo that necessity drove early on in the pandemic. The school district my house is in partnered up with a virtual school for fall 2021 so parents could still be connected to the district but have their kids 100% remote. It lasted only until the end of 2021-2022 school year before costs and low enrollment made it just not feasible so it was shuttered. Costs were appearantly $2.7million to run with about 1% enrollment.

I think in my state people moved to home school (which counts as private here), private institutions or online schools.
Yeah, Sacramento City Unified School District still offers parents the option of remote learning but far more parents are taking that option than they expected, so they don't have enough teachers to run the remote learning.

Not here.

The overall curriculum is provided but how it is taught is up to the teacher and is customized for the students in that class that year.
Really, 30 years ago I would go to the mimeograph machine and print copies of the next weeks work….. I would get the masters from a big three ring binders for each class…..

I personally can’t believe that the informations is not more readily available in 2023…..

not saying you are wrong, just say’n I don’t believe we have gone backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter