California Grill Prix Fixe Menu

Going to be staying at Grand Floridian in October and was thinking of dining at California Grill but didn’t realize it had moved to prix fixe. I don’t have an interest in that and we’re just a party of two, so what’s the situation with the bar there? Do you need a reservation or can you just show up? And if you happen to be there during fireworks are they visible from bar area?

Thanks!

I couldn't find a menu for the lounge area. Does anyone know if they have a separate one?

This is really a shame...CG deserves to be one of the best spots on property and they get a prix fixe menu. What a joke.

I couldn't find a menu for the lounge area. Does anyone know if they have a separate one?
There is a separate bar menu - it has a few different sushi options, the beef wontons, duck a l'orange pizza, a four cheese pizza, and the cheese plate. You can also order from the prix fixe menu.

This is really a shame...CG deserves to be one of the best spots on property and they get a prix fixe menu. What a joke.
Have you dined there since the prix fixe menu? We have dined there for years before the prix fixe menu and twice after. While, the new menu misses a few items, the quality of the food has not changed. Previously, we would order an appetizer, entree and desert and wine to go with. Not really any different than the 3 course prix fixe menu, and they have wine paired with each course. Except now you can't go up, take a table, order an appetizer and leave.
I don't understand this concept people have that prix fixe is bad food. We have dined at several1 star Michellin restaurants and you know what most are? Prix Fixe menus.

Blame the folks who had ADRs at prime fireworks viewing time and just ordered drinks and/or dessert and tipped based on that. Just like the families who shared a single cupcake or one kid’s meal at BOG.
I have no doubt that is true.
As much as I see complaints on this board about the change to Prix Fixe menu at CG, the 2 times we have dined there since the change, the dining area is packed. So why would they go back? Similar to BoG. I read many complaints about the change, but the restaurant is packed, so no reason to change.

No you can't order off that menu anymore. It is still a really tough reservation to get so honestly it was probably a good move for them.

I don't mind prix fixe because I can enjoy an amazing dinner, bring half home, and then enjoy it again for lunch the next day.

Have you dined there since the prix fixe menu? We have dined there for years before the prix fixe menu and twice after. While, the new menu misses a few items, the quality of the food has not changed. Previously, we would order an appetizer, entree and desert and wine to go with. Not really any different than the 3 course prix fixe menu, and they have wine paired with each course. Except now you can't go up, take a table, order an appetizer and leave.
I don't understand this concept people have that prix fixe is bad food. We have dined at several1 star Michellin restaurants and you know what most are? Prix Fixe menus.
I just generally associate Disney and prix fixe with lackluster. I will have to give this a shot. I have been to plenty of good resturants that are prix fixe as well...just figured they Chapeked this place.

I just generally associate Disney and prix fixe with lackluster. I will have to give this a shot. I have been to plenty of good resturants that are prix fixe as well...just figured they Chapeked this place.
I would agree that many of their restaurants are not as good as they used to be.
Chef de France comes to mind and the sad loss of some of the adventurous dishes they used to have at Skippers among others.

I would agree that many of their restaurants are not as good as they used to be.
Chef de France comes to mind and the sad loss of some of the adventurous dishes they used to have at Skippers among others.
I agree with Chef de France. The menu had some better options pre-covid. It's like some of the locations on property lost their drive to make something unique and authentic. This isn't true of all locations on property though. Currently I think Topolino is the best on property right now (obviously excluding V&A).

Does anybody know if they plan on reverting back to the regular menu once the 50th Anniversary ends in March?

I agree with Chef de France. The menu had some better options pre-covid. It's like some of the locations on property lost their drive to make something unique and authentic. This isn't true of all locations on property though. Currently I think Topolino is the best on property right now (obviously excluding V&A).
Our last trip, we had wonderful meals at CG, Topolinos, Flying Fish and Jiko.

My issue with the CG fixed menu has nothing to do with food quality but options. DH and I would love to order all the sushi options, a bottle of wine, and dessert. The entrees don’t really appeal to us. We would spend just as much as the fixed menu, if not more, doing this. We did try the new menu once and it wasn’t our preference. We’re waiting until a normal sushi menu comes back or maybe we’ll try to sit at the bar. Hoping that the anniversary menu is not permanent…it just wasn’t for us.

Blame the folks who had ADRs at prime fireworks viewing time and just ordered drinks and/or dessert and tipped based on that. Just like the families who shared a single cupcake or one kid’s meal at BOG.
100% true. I wouldn’t mind if they mixed up the menu a bit though! I really wish they had a sushi entree.

Our problem with pricey fixed menus is when it includes an appetizer, entree and dessert it tends to be WAY too much food since we aren't huge eaters. Part of the price at CG is the view of the fireworks so it is somewhat difficult to quantify the value. Had the impression CG went to the fixed price format during the 50th anniversary to try and manage the number of people that thought would be attempting to eat there. No idea if that format will continue after the 50th celebration has ended.

Perhaps some eat a lot more then we do, but we never eat lunch at any fixed price restaurant since it is just way too much food. We are generally at one of the parks during the day and will find a QS place that lets you choose individual items we like for lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter