California DVC Owners Group

One 'Dream' and one 'Believe' key for DW and I. 'Believe' key still gets us the days we want while still maximizing the discounts/free parking with the 'Dream'. We just bought 3 day park hoppers that we were going to use with out of town family this Fall, so glad to read that we'll able to apply those towards these new 'Keys'. Very happy to soon have regular access back at my home park...:earsboy:

Now we just need some good news regarding DVC/Gold Passes for WDW...

Yup! I’m optimistic, but if not I’m ok with regular APs.

On another note, more exciting news! Hoping the preview will happen during the first week of our trip!

https://dvcfan.com/2021/08/03/remys...QWWKsD-13ar0kJg6Vbq5odVkhkQ81odF0sgBWjQ2IV6nA

Woah!!! Lots happening this week!

Last Saturday, I had an amazing evening with friends who I met up with for dinner at Craftsman Bar for cocktails and apps followed by more food and drinks at Trader Sam’s. It felt so good to socialize and relax for a change! Surprisingly I was able to stay up until 3:00 a.m. and booked ADRs for the second half of our trip next month including Topolino’s dinner. The only thing I wasn’t able to score was Skipper Canteen on 10/1, so I signed up for Mouse Watcher in hopes that’ll help. All I need is for reservations to open up for Boma, Le Creperie and Space 220.

Today was the announcement many California locals have been waiting for which is the announcement of the replacement for the former AP program, woohoo! We did a two minute overview of the options and quickly decided on the Dream Key which meets our needs. Not wanting to waste time with getting in on the excitement, we purchased single-day tickets, made our park reservations for 8/25/21 which is day one of the new program and will upgrade that day.

The cherry on top? WDW APs will be back on sale by the 50th! I‘m súper relieved because we‘ll be there 16 days with another trip booked for next February.

Anyone else getting a “Key?” If so, which one? Are you planning on visiting DLR day one of the new program? 😁

we will be getting Dream Keys as well! Very excited. I think we are going to try to go 9/3 (I have the day offf) then 9/11 (mom’s birthday). I guess I should buy a ticket so we can book 9/3 and then upgrade it to the dream pass. Need to think on this and make a decision.

I did my adrs for my trip last week too. We have lots of good ones. Wanted the castle for 10/1, but it was not avail so I booked be our guest and have mouse dining alerts set up for the castle. Crossing finger but thinking it will probably not happen. We thankfully have aps for wdw since we had premier passes when the parks closed So no worries on that pass.

Anyone else getting a “Key?” If so, which one? Are you planning on visiting DLR day one of the new program? 😁
Yes, bf and I will be going for the Believe key. We're so excited with this news!! Won't be there day 1 (the 25th) though. We have the California resident 3 day ticket to go through first since those aren't upgradable. So we'll activate our "keys" some time in September.

We are thinking of Dream Keys ... but cancelling our SSR reservation starting Oct 1. I think I'd rather refocus our visits back to DLR to make best use of the new pass program.

Hoping for a DVC discount on Magic Keys?? LOL ... and, please, make the path clear before 8/25!!

We won’t make it 8/25 as my kids are pretty serious about school now that they’re 11th and 8th graders. We’ll most likely do Dream Keys for my youngest, my husband and myself. My oldest is in leadership roles for ASB and Mock Trial and is busy busy busy, so we’ll see what she wants to do.

Also so excited about WDW APs returning! We’re leaning more and more towards canceling our BCV/CCV split stay in December. 😢 My husband and I will be doing Dopey in January and will be at the peak of training as well as not wanting to risk getting sick on the December trip. Don’t want to mess our chances of doing our first runDisney races in ages. And two Dopey registrations are pricey! 💸💸💰💰

Think I'll be getting Believe Keys for my son and I. I already bought hoppers for our Oct 9 & 10 trip. Since Oct 9 is a blackout day I'll upgrade at the end of that one. I suspect they won't run out. Currently waitlisted for the night of the 8th. If I get that I might move our hoppers to 8/9 then upgrade on day 2.

Naturally, I'm giving more thought to my future decision. Adding my impressions here .. open for comment.
  • We are leaning 'Dream' for the 1st year as we already have Grand Cal reservations on dates that would be blocked by lower passes. Thus, 'Dream' is our starting point justified by those existing VGC reservations.
    • We've only once before held "the highest pass" level and that was at WDW for a year that we needed New Years for a group trip with family.
    • Generally we've been satisfied with a mid-tier pass and worked around the block-out dates.
  • In future years, we could drop down to 'Believe' and plan around the block-out dates.
    Related restrictions:
    • 50% parking rather than 'parking included' in higher tier.
      I've spent most of my 'mulling' time on the parking topic. While "parking included" sounds really great -- it isn't a huge draw/perk for me.
      • When I go alone, mid-week, to escape either the heat at home or persistent "drop in guests," I drive to a mid-way point (15 at 91) and take an express bus. The bus is a huge benefit for me as I don't like driving on 91 and it gives me ~1 hour rest in each direction. I enjoy the express bus!
      • When we visit as a couple, we generally stay overnight either on property or in a nearby timeshare. In either case, we don't need/use the daytime parking lots.
      • So, the parking benefit would be for the rare times that we choose to drive up/back on the same day? When was the last time we did that ... ??? (Not in recent years, to my memory!).
  • I'm rather disappointed with heavy-handed block-out dates.
    • Our last APs were Flex Passes which, like the present world, required reservations in advance (only 2 at a time, if I recall correctly) but were only blocked out around Christmas and Easter. These were awesome passes for our style!
  • I hate the names. Unlike words such as Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze, the words Believe, Enchant and Imagine do NOT show any natural escalation useful in recall/understanding. (I'll allow that Dream is appropriate for the top-level tier. That word has an established history referring to the "ultimate.) I would have preferred they named the levels: Magic, Wonder, Dream, Fantasy. While still arbitrary titles w/out natural escalation, at least we understand them, inside the Disney context, as DCL ship names in order of launch date.

Therefore, I figure I will refer to them as "E" (Dream), "C" (Believe), "B" (Enchant) and "A" (SoCal, Imagine). I'm leaving "D" open for a better option between the present Dream and Believe ... with fewer block-out dates. Or, more likely, room for Disney to upgrade the Dream level to include Photo Pass + Max Pass ... and thus the future "D" will be the existing Dream pass (unlimited dates but no Photo or Max Pass).
    And, yes, I think the SoCal ticket is so poor an option as to restrict it to an "A" ticket comparison. Sigh.
  • I'm perfunzled on the different wording used for reservations.
    • Dream: Hold up to 6 theme park reservations at a time for different dates*
    • Believe: Hold up to 6 theme park reservations at a time*
      FWIW, all the lower ticket levels use this phrasing with adjustments, as appropriate, for the number of reservations.

What does Disney mean by adding the words "for different dates" to the Dream level?
  • I like the offer for "lounges" for Magic Key holders. Just a space to recharge devices is great!
  • And yes, echoing a thought earlier in this thread (and in the Magic Key thread on the DLR board) ... I do wonder if there are a limited number of each pass type available? I'm guessing yes ... but my impression is triggered by a quick read of some obscure fine print that I skimmed yesterday. Thus, I expect to participate on 8/25 in a Queue-It system when the Magic Keys go on sale ... ???
  • And, as I pondered yesterday: Will there be a DVC discount for Magic Key purchase?
    • Will it, please, be announced and ready-for-action before 8/25?
    • Will it, please, be proportional in discount to those offered at WDW?
Those are my thoughts on the program for now ...

We are thinking of Dream Keys ... but cancelling our SSR reservation starting Oct 1. I think I'd rather refocus our visits back to DLR to make best use of the new pass program.

Hoping for a DVC discount on Magic Keys?? LOL ... and, please, make the path clear before 8/25!!

Last edited:
      FWIW, all the lower ticket levels use this phrasing with adjustments, as appropriate, for the number of reservations.

What does Disney mean by adding the words "for different dates" to the Dream level?

I assumed, since Dream is at the top of the page, that they established that "at a time for different dates" was the standard and that as you move down the page, they simply didn't keep reiterating what they'd already established.

I cannot wait to get my "Key"! Serious question: do you think there's any chance they will sell out of certain levels?
I don't think they will sell out of the Key levels - or at least there is probably a very high threshold of them. However, I won't be surprised if APs (Key holders) can't get some of the park reservations they want. I would expect that if you've had say, 6 Saturdays in a row reserved, that you may not be allowed to reserve Saturdays for awhile. Or if you've reserved a certain number of park days in the 90 day window (because you can roll a new one as soon as you've used one), that maybe you'll find you can't reserve new days for awhile.
This is just my guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if they use this as a way to curb attendance while getting full price for the Keys. It is written that you are not guaranteed a park reservation if you have a Key - and that's where my mind led me.

The language on the site states "Pass types are limited in quantity, and not all Pass types may be available at any given time. Please check for Pass type availability before attempting to upgrade into a Pass." but the same language was included in the old AP language as well. I'm assuming they will control access wholly through reservations.

Naturally, I'm giving more thought to my future decision. Adding my impressions here .. open for comment.
  • We are leaning 'Dream' for the 1st year as we already have Grand Cal reservations on dates that would be blocked by lower passes. Thus, 'Dream' is our starting point justified by those existing VGC reservations.
    • We've only once before held "the highest pass" level and that was at WDW for a year that we needed New Years for a group trip with family.
    • Generally we've been satisfied with a mid-tier pass and worked around the block-out dates.
  • In future years, we could drop down to 'Believe' and plan around the block-out dates.
    Related restrictions:
    • 50% parking rather than 'parking included' in higher tier.
      I've spent most of my 'mulling' time on the parking topic. While "parking included" sounds really great -- it isn't a huge draw/perk for me.
      • When I go alone, mid-week, to escape either the heat at home or persistent "drop in guests," I drive to a mid-way point (15 at 91) and take an express bus. The bus is a huge benefit for me as I don't like driving on 91 and it gives me ~1 hour rest in each direction. I enjoy the express bus!
      • When we visit as a couple, we generally stay overnight either on property or in a nearby timeshare. In either case, we don't need/use the daytime parking lots.
      • So, the parking benefit would be for the rare times that we choose to drive up/back on the same day? When was the last time we did that ... ??? (Not in recent years, to my memory!).
  • I'm rather disappointed with heavy-handed block-out dates.
    • Our last APs were Flex Passes which, like the present world, required reservations in advance (only 2 at a time, if I recall correctly) but were only blocked out around Christmas and Easter. These were awesome passes for our style!
  • I hate the names. Unlike words such as Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze, the words Believe, Enchant and Imagine do NOT show any natural escalation useful in recall/understanding. (I'll allow that Dream is appropriate for the top-level tier. That word has an established history referring to the "ultimate.) I would have preferred they named the levels: Magic, Wonder, Dream, Fantasy. While still arbitrary titles w/out natural escalation, at least we understand them, inside the Disney context, as DCL ship names in order of launch date.

Therefore, I figure I will refer to them as "E" (Dream), "C" (Believe), "B" (Enchant) and "A" (SoCal, Imagine). I'm leaving "D" open for a better option between the present Dream and Believe ... with fewer block-out dates. Or, more likely, room for Disney to upgrade the Dream level to include Photo Pass + Max Pass ... and thus the future "D" will be the existing Dream pass (unlimited dates but no Photo or Max Pass).
    And, yes, I think the SoCal ticket is so poor an option as to restrict it to an "A" ticket comparison. Sigh.

• I like the offer for "lounges" for Magic Key holders. Just a space to recharge devices is great!
  • And yes, echoing a thought earlier in this thread (and in the Magic Key thread on the DLR board) ... I do wonder if there are a limited number of each pass type available? I'm guessing yes ... but my impression is triggered by a quick read of some obscure fine print that I skimmed yesterday. Thus, I expect to participate on 8/25 in a Queue-It system when the Magic Keys go on sale ... ???
  • And, as I pondered yesterday: Will there be a DVC discount for Magic Key purchase?
    • Will it, please, be announced and ready-for-action before 8/25?
    • Will it, please, be proportional in discount to those offered at WDW?
Those are my thoughts on the program for now ...

I actually like the naming convention, they‘re more consistent with the “feels” Disney is known for trying to elicit and unique amongst other companies as opposed to your standard “platinum, bronze, gold” labels. The ranking is also very obvious, top tier as always correlated to pricing so there should be no confusion there.

In terms of having to make park reservations, this was a necessary step for crowd control and proper allocation of resources for daily operations.

I do see that they incorporated new language in the terms and conditions. Like many other companies, they were wise to do this to CYA. Pandemic has taught us all some lessons from a business standpoint including my own organization.

In terms of having to make park reservations, this was a necessary step for crowd control and proper allocation of resources for daily operations.

I do see that they incorporated new language in the terms and conditions. Like many other companies, they were wise to do this to CYA. Pandemic has taught us all some lessons from a business standpoint including my own organization.
Were these comments intended as reply to my post (as you quoted) or something earlier in the thread?? Sorry, I don't understand the connection to my post?

Were these comments intended as reply to my post (as you quoted) or something earlier in the thread?? Sorry, I don't understand the connection to my post?

Lol! Sorry if my response didn’t make sense. I was posting and answering questions at the same time in multiple threads, so I think I got my wires crossed. That’s what I get for trying to multitask while sleep-deprived!😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter